Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Guru

Raccoon meat making a comeback...:O

http://www.mcclatchydc.com/251/story/59566.html

The other dark meat: Raccoon is making it to the table

Never had it, don't want it....but some of you may appreciate raccoon....what bourbon do you drink with the little thief?

Disciple

Re: Raccoon meat making a comeback...:O

Geez, I guess...it sounds pretty labor intensive to prepare well. Since I would probably BBQ it, I would go with an "older" looking cheap bourbon...OGD, OC, JBW...probably cook it right into my BBQ sauce.
    "A person can work up a mean, mean thirst after a hard day of nothing much at all . . . "

Andy

Guru

One comment indicated it was kind of like roat beef but stringy....probably all those parasitic worms...anyway...I guess a nice Cabernet and then a stiff shot of OGD would work!

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Oh, come on!! Everybody knows that if you can't get the real stuff, you go with Georgia Moon!!

PS. I got the real stuff...so, pass me over that critter!!
    Last edited by smokinjoe; 01-14-2009 at 14:34.
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Connoisseur

dang!

all those years in Kemper County MISSISSIPPI and i never had any raccoon stew!

and here i am in the upper providence area of PA....and i have a raccoon 'problem' (well, it's my neighbor not keeping his trash cans under control!).

anyways, i try anything....already had alligator sausage...i'd probably use JD or JB to wash down da 'coon....gotta have some sunbeam bread on hand......

yep ya can take da boy outta da country but you can't take the (blah blah etc)
    HUP!

Connoisseur

I'm up to try anything and raccoon is no exception, since it sounds like a pain in the ass to prepare I'd probably only try it if it was on the menu at a restaurant though. As the article says, it's probably better to eat game than store bought stuff these days anyway.
    /\../\

"I've had eighteen straight whiskies, I think that's the record . . ." - Dylan Thomas

When I was a sophomore in high school, I was on the wrestling team. Our wrestling coach and the principal (former wrestling coach) were good friends and hunted together a lot. One of the rituals of the wrestling team was the whole team getting together at the coaches house for a cookout the weekend before our first match. With all the guys cutting weight and everything, there was a lot of vegetables, turkey and chicken. There was also "coon burgers". Raccoon ground up like hamburger and cooked on the grill. It was actually pretty good. Not as gamey as you might think. Something like ground beef with just a touch of sausage, and something else I can't quite describe. That's the best description I can render. Even though raccoons are annoying creatures, they are actually fairly clean animals, at least as far as their eating habits go. In the wild, they generally try to wash their food before eating it. Garbage cans, well.... nobody is perfect. Joe
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Advanced Taster

My paternal grandmother used to prepare coon, squirrel, and possum--whatever my uncle shot--for the table. It all more or less tasted the same as it was cooked in a pressure cooker and emerged looking like wet, shredded newspaper. Sort of like soylent green--except gray. No wonder my father ran off to sea. . . .

Guru

Marco246, I hate to ask how much extra you pay for bourbon and what the selection is in HA.

Hmm, that pressure cooker coon might go with poi!
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poi_(food)

Disciple

If Raccoon meat is making a comeback, it wont be long before getting rabies does too. Better drink some Everclear 190 with that stew as a refreshment/antibiotic/disinfectant!

Thomas