Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Guru

Guinness and other stouts

Just in case you were wondering, Guinness and other dark beers aren't too bad for you....so enjoy in moderation:

http://chublogga.blogspot.com/2005/0...-guinness.html

"A University of Wisconsin study last fall found that moderate consumption of Guinness worked like aspirin to prevent clots that increase the risk of heart attacks.

In the study, Guinness proved twice as effective as Heineken at preventing blood clots. Guinness is loaded with flavonoids, antioxidants that give the dark color to many fruits and vegetables.

These antioxidants are better than vitamins C and E, the study found, at keeping bad LDL cholesterol from clogging arteries. Blocked arteries also contributes to erectile dysfunction, as does overindulgence in alcohol.

Guinness has a higher concentration than lighter beers of vitamin B, which lowers levels of homocysteine, linked to clogged arteries. And researchers have found that antioxidants from the moderate use of stout might reduce the incidence of cataracts by as much as 50 percent.

It's milk's line, but beer gives you strong bones, too.

"The reason, we think, is that beer is a major contributor to the diet of silicon," says Katherine Tucker, an associate professor of nutritional epidemiology at Tufts University's Friedman School of Nutrition Science and Policy.

Tucker recently participated in a study that showed beer, either dark or light, protects bone-mineral density because of its high levels of silicon, which allows the deposit of calcium and other minerals into bone tissue."

Also:

"Guinness, in fact, is lower in alcohol, calories and carbohydrates than Samuel Adams, Budweiser, Heineken and almost every other major-brand beer not classified as light or low-carb. It has fewer calories and carbohydrates than low-fat milk and orange juice, too.
    This tastes-great, more-filling formula defies nutritional expectations because Guinness is so low in alcohol, a source of empty calories. Guinness is 4.2 percent alcohol by volume, the same as Coors Light. Budweiser and Heineken check in at 5 percent."

Disciple

Re: Guinness and other stouts

Ah, but my favorite stout that isn't Guinness, Asahi Stout clocks in at 8%.

Kirin Stout, which is also good is 5%. It is lighter in flavor, too.

Ed
    Bourbon makes me happy.

Go Fighters!

Virtuoso

How does the higher alcohol content affect the flavor?

The Japanese sure do make some wonderful beers and spirits. I'll have to look for some stout next time I'm there.

Cheers!

Guru

Comparing Guinness "Extra" Stout with O'Hara's Irish Stout (Carlow Brewing)...I think both are 4.3% abv (didn't see the % on the Guinness bottle).

Being stouts, they appear very similar...both chocolate brown. The Guinness is a little more bitter upfront...(the "extra" stout difference?) The O'Hara's has a stronger initial chocolate taste. On the finish I find O'Hara's to be slightly thinner in comparison.

Overall, the O'Hara's holds up very well with Guinness....which do I prefer?
    Maybe by a slight margin the Guinness, but both are perfectly acceptable.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Luna56 View Post
    How does the higher alcohol content affect the flavor?

The Japanese sure do make some wonderful beers and spirits. I'll have to look for some stout next time I'm there.

Cheers!
    To tell the truth, I haven't had a Guinness in a while. I will have to do a head to head sometime soon. To be fair I will have to use bottled Guinness. And maybe one of the nitrogen capsule cans. I'll probably be pretty happy by the time I finsh the test!

The Asahi is simply wonderful. I don't have notes on it, but it is complex. I want to say, Ahh... after every drink.

Since I started seeing Asahi on the shelves I haven't had a Kirin. It is lighter than either Guinness or Asahi on the flavor front. Just the thing if one of others is a little too much. Years ago there was a Kirin Stout that was 8%. The current expression is 5%.
    Bourbon makes me happy.

Go Fighters!

Enthusiast

Interesting. I love stouts and porters.

Guru

I to favor Porters since they are a little sweeter.

During a trip to the U.K. years ago I really enjoyed Theakstons Old Peculiar...it is called "beer" and "ale" on their website but it tastes more like a Porter...it seems to occupy a middle ground between ale and stout.

http://www.theakstons.co.uk/ales/cla...dpeculier.html

Connoisseur

i heard this on CNN 2 years ago...more or less the same info. Guinness was called the 'healthiest' brew of all...

but do not there are several Guinness Stouts...i prefer the draft whether it's keg or the newer bottle/cans. creamy, very palatable, too easy to swallow!

the new Lancaster Brewing milk stout is really excellent, too.

but nothing beats the magick of a Guinness Stout as it is poured. just watch.
    HUP!

Guru

Post Re: Guinness and other stouts

Umm, guys. Stout is porter. It was originally called "stout porter", which simply meant porter with higher alcohol content. It was eventually shortened to just "stout".

A rose by any other name....

Tim
    Self-Styled Whisky Connoisseur

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    ...it seems to occupy a middle ground between ale and stout.
    Okay

We have beer...that's all encompassing. There are two types of beer; ales and lagers. each of those can be broken down into hundreds of styles and substyles. Stout is a type of ale, as are Pale Ale, Brown Ale, Scotch Ale, Barley Wine, Bitter and Kolsch. Lager types include: Pilsner, Helles, Bock, Dunckel, Marzen and Vienna Lager.

There is no middle ground between ale and stout because stout is a type of ale.
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile