Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Disciple

Post Re: What beer are you drinking Winter 2008

I have been enjoying 2 cases of Anderson Valley Brewing Companys Winter Solstice. It is one Wonderful Winter Ale and I think the Best one I have ever had because of the Great Maltiness of it. I had two at a party and it was so good that I spent the $45 a case to get it and boy have I enjoyed it. Its ABV is 6.9 and it is Highly Drinkable! So if you can get it give it a try it is Very Refreshing and the Flavor is so good that it tells you have another!
    Dave Z
    -----------------------------------------
    Beer Its Not Just A Beverage beer Is Food

Guru

Re: What beer are you drinking Winter 2008

I just opened a bottle of the Trader Joe's Vintage Ale (by Unibroue [sp?]) 2007. Every year I buy three bottles. I drink one right away, one 6 mos. later and the last one when the next year's edition comes out.

I think the 2007 is quite good, certainly better than the 2006 was at this point, but the 2005 was better than either at 1 y/o. I think the 2007 may have actually been better at 6 mos. than it is now. Seemed richer. Or maybe I just liked it better in the summer!
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Connoisseur

I've been drinking a lot of beer lately.

Sam Adams Winter Lager (in my kegerator)
    Stone Double Bastard
    Sam Adams Winter Mixed pack (even the Cranberry Lambic!)
    Saranac Winter Mixed pack
    Sierra Nevada Celebration
    Anchor Christmas
    and finally assorted Belgium brews from St. Bernardus.
    Tim

I am going where streams of whiskey are flowing...

Quote Originally Posted by hjminard View Post
    If I'm not mistaken, hasn't Boston Beer become the largest American owned brewing operation? (A-B is Belgian, Coors is Canadian?, Miller is South African, etc.) Not to hijack ... just curious if my thought is correct.
    It depends on how one defines "brewing operation". Pabst sells more beer than Boston Beer Co., but all their beer is contract brewed -mostly by Miller, but The Lion in PA and City in Lacrosse (at least, they used to) brew some as well.

So, if you're not counting contract brewed totals, Yuengling (with 3 breweries operating now) sells more beer it brews itself than BBC (since City, High Falls and Miller still brew a lot of Sam Adams beers).

Boston bought and refurbished the old Schaefer brewery outside of Allentown, PA., so they'll probably pass Yuengling soon in the "self-brewed" column. That Schaefer plant once had a listed capacity of 5 million barrels. Both BBC and Yeungling are still under 2m bbl a year.

Of course, either way, I think it's kinda sad that the "largest" brewing company in the US that's US-owned has a total of around 1% of the market.

Also- For the record, tho' the "SAB" half of "SABMiller" started out as "South African Breweries", they are now headquartered in London.
    Last edited by jesskidden; 12-29-2008 at 11:37.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by hjminard View Post
    Anyone ever try Boston Beer's Utopias? I have not had the pleasure, though I have had their Triple Bock ... which was an interesting brew.

Currently at home I have some Sam Adams Oktoberfest and Bell's Cherry Stout
    I have last years. I figured since it was aged in a BT cask, I would give it a try. 25.2% alc... a real sipper. I gove littles samples out to every hard core beer drinker I know and the folks that brew (one in the same I guess ).

I do not plan on buying another... to much $$$ for what it is worth to me... but I am glad I got to try it and share it...

Come down to Tucson and I will pour you a glass

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    I just opened a bottle of the Trader Joe's Vintage Ale (by Unibroue [sp?]) 2007. Every year I buy three bottles. I drink one right away, one 6 mos. later and the last one when the next year's edition comes out.

I think the 2007 is quite good, certainly better than the 2006 was at this point, but the 2005 was better than either at 1 y/o. I think the 2007 may have actually been better at 6 mos. than it is now. Seemed richer. Or maybe I just liked it better in the summer!
    I got to try some of this last night for the first time, as there is no Trader Joes in my area. I was quite impressed with it.
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

Guru

Cool Re: What beer are you drinking Winter 2008

Last night I dug into the back of the refrigerator and found one of the all-malt Michelob's. It was excellent.

Tim
    Self-Styled Whisky Connoisseur

Guru

Fat Tire in the kegerator. Sam Adams Celebration and Sierra Nevada in bottles.
    Emancipate yourself from mental slavery. None but ourselves can free our minds.

Bob Marley.

Disciple

Me and my lady friend just had a Hercules double IPA with our meal.

Leif
    Swedish lover of American whiskey

Connoisseur

Stone Smoked Porter with mushroom-barley soup on a day that's really too warm for such things. Out to do yard work soon; perhaps a PBR at that point.

Regards,
    Tim