Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12
  1. #1
    Taster
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    P.E.I, Canada
    Posts
    53

    A few Bourbons with a high price, Is it worth it?

    bakers bourbon 7 - $55.00
    basil haydens - $55.00
    blantons - $66.00
    bookers true barrel - $70.00
    buffalo trace - $40.00
    evan williams single barrel - $60.00
    jim beam signature craft - $63.00
    knob creek 9 year - $50.00
    knob creek single barrel $60.00
    makers mark 46 - $60.00

    I have the a chance to try these at a local Canadian province. I currently cannot get any of these bottles on the island I live on.

    Are these priced too high, Are any of these bottles worth the price listed?

  2. #2
    Guru
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    2,887

    Re: A few Bourbons with a high price, Is it worth it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Bourbon View Post
    bakers bourbon 7 - $55.00
    basil haydens - $55.00
    blantons - $66.00
    bookers true barrel - $70.00
    buffalo trace - $40.00
    evan williams single barrel - $60.00
    jim beam signature craft - $63.00
    knob creek 9 year - $50.00
    knob creek single barrel $60.00
    makers mark 46 - $60.00

    I have the a chance to try these at a local Canadian province. I currently cannot get any of these bottles on the island I live on.

    Are these priced too high, Are any of these bottles worth the price listed?
    Probably need a fellow Canadian to help judge the price in Canada. They are mostly high compared to the typical US price. Odd how some are priced a lot more and some not as much. The Blanton's price is not that much more than the average US price (maybe $55 or so) but the EWSB appears to be more than twice the price here.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

    Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

  3. #3
    Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    404

    Re: A few Bourbons with a high price, Is it worth it?

    Those are on par with Canadian prices. If you could hop over the border in the US, you would do much better.

    If you were to buy them in Canada and want to know which ones will give you the most for your money: Booker's or Knob Creek Single Barrel are the best buys. Baker's and Blanton's is not too far off either.

  4. #4
    Taster
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    P.E.I, Canada
    Posts
    53

    Re: A few Bourbons with a high price, Is it worth it?

    Quote Originally Posted by tanstaafl2 View Post
    Probably need a fellow Canadian to help judge the price in Canada. They are mostly high compared to the typical US price. Odd how some are priced a lot more and some not as much. The Blanton's price is not that much more than the average US price (maybe $55 or so) but the EWSB appears to be more than twice the price here.
    Yes, I noticed that too when I looked up the US prices.

    I also think that MM46 is most likely over priced. Even though I have not tried it yet, But is it woth the price over regular MM? The regular MM is $43.00 here. I'm, mostly looking to buy some higher proof Bourbons. I'm sick of sipping the same 90 proof ones around here .

    I'd mostly like to get my hands on the knob creek 9 year and buffalo trace.

  5. #5
    Taster
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    P.E.I, Canada
    Posts
    53

    Re: A few Bourbons with a high price, Is it worth it?

    Quote Originally Posted by zillah View Post
    Those are on par with Canadian prices. If you could hop over the border in the US, you would do much better.

    If you were to buy them in Canada and want to know which ones will give you the most for your money: Booker's or Knob Creek Single Barrel are the best buys. Baker's and Blanton's is not too far off either.
    The knob creek single barrel would be great also. And bakers looks interesting.

  6. #6
    Guru
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    2,571

    Re: A few Bourbons with a high price, Is it worth it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Bourbon View Post
    I'm sick of sipping the same 90 proof ones around here .

    with that statement, Id suggest the Booker's or the KCSB then. If too high proof for you, you can always add a bit of water. Booker's would be my first choice off that list anyway. Its a good $20-25 over KY prices though, but most on that list are anyway.
    Think about how stupid the average person is.....then realize that half of them are more stupid than that.

  7. #7
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Markham, ONT
    Posts
    537

    Cool Re: A few Bourbons with a high price, Is it worth it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Bourbon View Post
    bakers bourbon 7 - $55.00 ($54.90)
    basil haydens - $55.00 ($51.95)
    blantons - $66.00 ($65)
    bookers true barrel - $70.00 ($70.55)
    buffalo trace - $40.00 ($40.95)
    evan williams single barrel - $60.00 ($54.70)
    jim beam signature craft - $63.00 (n/a)
    knob creek 9 year - $50.00 ($46.95)
    knob creek single barrel $60.00 ($54.90)
    makers mark 46 - $60.00 ($49.85)

    I have the a chance to try these at a local Canadian province. I currently cannot get any of these bottles on the island I live on.

    Are these priced too high, Are any of these bottles worth the price listed?
    For reference I have listed the Ontario prices next to the prices you listed.

    The vast majority of alcohol is much cheaper in the USA. Therefore, if you have the chance to go across the border do take advantage of your duty free allowance
    Last edited by portwood; 11-12-2014 at 13:41.
    "Old guys tend to say it like it is." squire

  8. #8
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Washington DC
    Posts
    579

    Re: A few Bourbons with a high price, Is it worth it?

    Mr. B -
    What Portwood said. I've followed his advice in the past on Canadian whiskies and not been disappointed. That said - in case you can't travel soon . . .

    Based on what you posted shortly after you joined SB AND on my own biases, I'd get a Blanton's but, like TANSAAFL2 posted, I'd pass on the EWSB on price alone and get a Booker's or KCSB instead. I'd keep some water at hand for the Booker's or the KC BUT not add it unless I really needed to; indeed, some side sipping before or after a sip of whiskey works for me instead of diluting. Unless you know you like wheated bourbons, I'd pass on the MM46 until you can taste some before buying a whole bottle. Some persons find the MMs one dimensional. My preference is to get a wheat whiskey, like Bernheim's, instead, or even a wheated bourbon like Larceny which is a little rougher (and which I am drinking even as you read this unless it's two days later from when I posted). Hope this helps.

  9. #9
    Taster
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    P.E.I, Canada
    Posts
    53

    Re: A few Bourbons with a high price, Is it worth it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry in WashDC View Post
    Mr. B -
    What Portwood said. I've followed his advice in the past on Canadian whiskies and not been disappointed. That said - in case you can't travel soon . . .

    Based on what you posted shortly after you joined SB AND on my own biases, I'd get a Blanton's but, like TANSAAFL2 posted, I'd pass on the EWSB on price alone and get a Booker's or KCSB instead. I'd keep some water at hand for the Booker's or the KC BUT not add it unless I really needed to; indeed, some side sipping before or after a sip of whiskey works for me instead of diluting. Unless you know you like wheated bourbons, I'd pass on the MM46 until you can taste some before buying a whole bottle. Some persons find the MMs one dimensional. My preference is to get a wheat whiskey, like Bernheim's, instead, or even a wheated bourbon like Larceny which is a little rougher (and which I am drinking even as you read this unless it's two days later from when I posted). Hope this helps.
    Thanks for your tips.

    And yes, The MM46 price in Canada is a bit crazy and I doubt it's worth that here.

    Hopefully I can find some Bakers, Blantons and Bookers. Because I would buy all 3.

    I will be posting pics of what I purchase on Friday this week. Hopefully some good finds...

  10. #10
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    916

    Re: A few Bourbons with a high price, Is it worth it?

    In some places in the US (like Washington State where I live), prices have increased on most mid and upper shelf bourbons to the point where they are not far off from some of the prices you posted.
    At the prices you listed, I'll echo some other comments and say that Baker's, Booker's, Blanton's, and Knob Creek Single Barrel are ones to target, and, they are priced not much higher than what I would pay here.
    Steve

    TT: Everything goes better with a little OGD114.
    squire: Amen...............

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Premium Bourbons with relatively high QPR
    By soonami in forum General Bourbon Discussion
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 07-03-2012, 20:34
  2. Attempt to categorize bourbons by price
    By Robmo in forum General Bourbon Discussion
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 04-02-2011, 22:36
  3. Rowan's Creek... worth the price?
    By tritioch in forum General Bourbon Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-29-2006, 17:24
  4. High end Bourbon that's not worth the price
    By purpleace in forum General Bourbon Discussion
    Replies: 85
    Last Post: 03-15-2006, 18:08

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Back to top