Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

My taste buds out of whack

Another rookie question probably.

You guys ever have a day where everything you taste doesn't taste right? Last night I sipped on my regulars and all I could taste was the alcohol astringent taste. Maybe I'm not describing it correctly, but I couldn't get any of the normal oak, sweetness, or anything to hardly come out.

Maybe it's something I ate or coated my tongue with? Anyway, thought I'd ask!

Re: My taste buds out of whack

Happens to me occasionally. Just take a break. Drink some beer or milk or something.

Advanced Taster
    P.E.I, Canada

This happens to me quite often. I remember chewing some gum before I drank some KCSB and I couldn't really taste the liquor.

When my tastes buds act up like that, I loose my interest in Whisky really fast.

Yeah, Mix it up!

It's not all that unusual Tex. It happens to the best of us from time to time. Call it palate burnout or whatever. Take a break from bourbon. Maybe have something else, or nothing at all for a day or two. This kinda happened to me just last week. I had a pour Friday night, and it was okay, butů.. I decided not to have anything over the weekend. Tonight I had a pour, and everything was okay.
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Advanced Taster
    Alberta Canada

WHat I usually do is have a 20 oz glass of water or two before I do a pour. I find when the palate is cleansed the whisky tastes the way it should. I avoid spicy foods before I do a pour. try it out. It works for me.
    The B's of me: Beer, Bourbon, BBQ, Blues

things taste different on different days. if it doesn't sit well, try a rye or something else. and this is reason I try not to make snap judgements on first sip but drink a second glass and then again on another day.

Downriver, Detroit, MI

My taste buddies are somewhat variable day to day... even from afternoon to evening. I rarely see 'em drop all semblance of the expected enjoyment; but, that has occurred. Rarely; thank goodness.
    I can usually tell when I have a cold coming on by those instances. ...Sometimes even before any viral symptoms are noticed.
    Strangely, on a few occasions I've experienced 'hyper' tasting with a cold, or at least right when I'm coming down with a particularly humid cold.
    The other times when tasting is expected to be off, is during or after strong-flavored or very aromatic dishes being eaten; but I assume everybody has those times.
    I probably should also mention that I have a notoriously 'iron palate'. Many Boubonitos are able to tease out subtle flavor or aroma nuances that I just can't detect. ...Doesn't affect my enjoyment, however!

OR / WA Borderlands

I've discovered that Claritin (the allergy pill) really kills my taste. And it's not just a matter of stuffy nose / not stuffy nose. I did an experiment, on a day when I was feeling stuffy, but didn't take any Claritin for the past day or 2 and everything tasted fine. Taking Claritin with my head clear, can't really taste much of anything in terms of wine, beer, spirits.

And like Richnimrod above, I kind of have a blunt palate on a good day, so it's pretty bad when it's off...

So, for example, since I know I'm going to be doing a bunch of tasting this Saturday, I'm going to avoid the allergy drugs and just live with a stuffy head on Friday.

Oh...and un-related to the above, I find that the acid and whatever else in tomato- and pepper-based dishes makes bourbon taste gross.

Louisville, KY

days like that are great for getting rid of the stuff you just want to get rid of!