Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Let talk OGD

Novice

Let talk OGD

So until I started reading this forum I thought OGD was garbage whiskey, I never drank it or knew anyone that drank it just looked like something that was cheap, anyways after reading here I bought the 80 proof or whichever the regular OGD is. I really didn't care for it anyway a few months ago I saw a 100 Proof BOB so I figured because of this forum I better give it a chance anyways I really enjoy it. Now I notice mostly when people talk about OGD they are talking about the 114. Ive actually never seen the 114 in person. Is it that much better than the 100? Why don't I ever see it?

I'm in Michigan
    Last edited by thunderhead357; 06-24-2014 at 20:31.

Guru

Re: Let talk OGD

Yes it is and we can't tell you why unless you tell us where you are.
    I've never tried GTS with any sort of soda. Maybe I'm missing out; but I'm OK with that.

Novice

Edited im in Michigan

sorry but looking at It I posed a similar thread about 2 months ago sorry
    Last edited by thunderhead357; 06-24-2014 at 20:36.

Advanced Taster

Some of us who happen to resource the "dusty" versions of OGD when it was produced by a different company (National Distillers Products) than what it is now (Beam) would take issue with the "crap whiskey" notion.

That said, the lower proof stuff that's on the bottom shelf today is nothing to get excited about. It's worth the retail price. Maybe.

The BiB is a step in the right direction for around $20. But I'd drink 4-5 other similar-priced whiskies before I bought it, personally.

If you can't find 114 near you, ask for it. It's not in every single LQ that I go to, but it's readily available in the $20-$25 range and is an excellent value. Whether you like it or not, that's up to you.

Connoisseur

114 is certainly available in MI. As 'Boots' mentioned it isn't always stocked in some retail locations; but should be something any liquor dealer can order for you. It is again (IMHO) another 'step in the right direction' ...up from the BIB (which I find a pretty reliable value in a high-rye Bourbon). Neither is quite as good as years ago; true. But still, a very nice pour at a pretty good price.

Guru

OGD 114 is on the books in Michigan, and when I was last there in May I saw it on the shelves in more than one store (SE Michigan).

What was your impression of the OGD BIB? I do prefer the 114 over the BIB, but like the BIB well enough. The new stuff is only a shadow of what it once was, but I think OGD 114 is (or was) one of the best kept secrets in great bourbon for under $25 (although lately it has crept up a bit).
    Gary
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins

Disciple

Maybe you've overlooked it because it is in an entirely different bottle and the label is a different color.

Advanced Taster

I am definitely a fan of the OGD 114 and the OGD BiB. Both are easy to find here in Western Ct.

Guru

Nothing's as good as it used to be including me. As for OGD either the BIB or 114 will serve with a nod toward the 114. Both are widely available wherever Beam products are sold.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Enthusiast

I've never tried the BIB, as the 114 is readily available (knock on wood) here in Texas for around $18.00
    "You Can't Buy Happiness, but you can buy Whiskey!"