Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Advanced Taster

New guy with question

First a little background....
    I was a long time Jim Beam white drinker. On the rocks. Didn't even know there were premium Bourbons out there. Tried JB Black and thought it tasted funny. I was just so used to the white label. Then went to kentucky with my 22 yr old son and visited some of the distilleries. I got absolutely hooked on the history and craft of Bourbon. Got hooked on fine Bourbon also. Now I want to learn everything there is to learn and taste every Bourbon. It's my new passion.

Here's my question:
    A friend left a half bottle of really cheap Scotch at my house. Can I mix this with Bourbon or something else to make it drinkable?

I appreciate any suggestions and I am looking forward to being part of this great community.

Virtuoso

Re: New guy with question

There is a place for scotch and there is a place for bourbon, but I am not convinced there is a place for both of them in the same glass. I like the sweet smoothness of bourbon and the smokey character of scotch; but together I can't imagine they would complement each other.
    Hope is subversive, for it limits the grandiose pretensions of the present by calling into existence the possibility of something better.

Welcome to the site Blitz. I'm pretty close to you. I'm from Rockford. I personally wouldn't mix bourbon with the scotch. Save it for when you have company you don't want to serve the good stuff. You can mix different bourbons (vatting) and get good results, but I don't think a bourbon-scotch mix would be any good. I'm sure others will post their opinions. Good luck on your bourbon journey. You came to the right place. Joe
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Welcome Blitz. If you've developed a passion for everything bourbon, then you've come to the right place. You're with "family" now.

The bourbon/scotch thing is all a matter of how you look at it. If you want to ruin any perfectly good bourbon...add scotch to it. If there's any chance of salvaging scotch...adding bourbon can only help.
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Guru

Blitz,

First, welcome to the board. Second, there are those on this board who don't even want to mix bourbon with water. Be careful, as that condition is contagious. Third, I'd keep the Scotch tightly sealed it will keep and offer it to scotch drinking visitors or drink it occasionally to reinvigorate your love of bourbon.

Here is a You Tube video done by one of the members that you may enjoy.

How to enjoy your whiskey.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frKWr...eature=related

Will

Connoisseur

Blitz,

Welcome! Your's is a great story on finding a passion for bourbon. It's a huge bourbon world out there. There are slums and seedy dwellings that give way to a vast area of middle class that stretches over the horizon. Through the maze of middle class is the oasis of ultra premium whisk(e)y. Beware for here be dragons that tear one's wallet to shreds with exquisite taste and beguiling smells. Every citizen you meet along the way will give you true and good advice but in the end it is always your personal taste and experience that matters most to you.

I personally have never thought of mixing bourbon and scotch. Do it once to settle your own mind. my suggestion would be to add only an ounce of one to an ounce of the other and give it a try. If you don't like it, don't waste your time with further experiments mixing the two.

Cheap scotch may not necessarily be bad scotch as price is no indication of taste. If you have tried it neat or with water and you don't care for it then you might mix it. Blended scotches mix well with certain things but not always with the same mixers as bourbon. So...my suggestion would be to visit the brand's website and look for recipes for mix drinks or other inventive ways to enjoy the bottle. If all else fails then visit the friend who left the bottle and gift it back to him with a simple explanation that he forgot it and it seemed to suffer some evaporation while in your possession.

Please enjoy your stay
    Often I am forced to deal with the fact that I prefer bourbon over dealing with facts.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz View Post
    Here's my question:
    A friend left a half bottle of really cheap Scotch at my house. Can I mix this with Bourbon or something else to make it drinkable?

I appreciate any suggestions and I am looking forward to being part of this great community.
    Welcome aboard Blitz,

In my humble opinion, there's nothing you can mix with most any scotch that will make it drinkable!

Enjoy the all the knowlege you'll find on this site!

Mark

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by chefmel View Post
    Welcome aboard Blitz,

In my humble opinion, there's nothing you can mix with most any scotch that will make it drinkable!

Enjoy the all the knowlege you'll find on this site!

Mark
    I'm not much of a scotch fan, either...I did love the McCallan 12 so I have high hopes for the single malts in the future, but in my opinion, bourbon is bourbon and everything else is....not bourbon. Never mix, never worry.
    "A person can work up a mean, mean thirst after a hard day of nothing much at all . . . "

Andy

Enthusiast

I wouldn't do it. The bourbon would most likely overpower the Scotch. There are higher-end blended Scotches that cost at least as much as, if not more than, single malts, and they have great depth and complexity....but cheaper blended Scotch is basically a mixer designed to keep a low profile. Bourbon would throw it in the bed of a pickup truck and drive it at high speed through the hills until it was dizzy.

One thing to keep in mind is that blended scotch is a mixture of malt whisky, made from 100% malted barley, and grain whisky, which is whisky distilled primarily from corn, wheat, or a mixture of the two and then matured in barrels for a few years before being used. This means that the grain whiskey element, which makes up the majority of the blend, is actually not that far away from being a lighter-flavored "bourbon style" spirit. (No Scotch whisky, malt or grain, uses new charred barrels as bourbon and rye do. That's one of many reasons why bourbon and rye has more flavor at a younger age and takes half the time to fully mature...)

Advanced Taster

Thanks for all the replies. I am really going to enjoy it here. I figured there was a reason I had never really heard of this type of mixing, and most of the replies confirmed it. The following quote probably summed it up the best:

Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post
    If you want to ruin any perfectly good bourbon...add scotch to it.
    Don't want to do that!

Here's what I have tried so far ....
    Buffalo Trace
    Knob Creek
    Woodford Reserve
    Evan Williams Single Barrel 1998
    Makers Mark

I think I am working mostly in the 'wheated' catagory here. Can someone make a recommendation for a first 'Rye' to give a try?