Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Connoisseur

Re: New guy with question

hmmm....just take that scotch, pour it in the back yard as an offering to the Spirits....

go and get a bottle of something ELSE. a decent single barrel bourbon might be a way to spoil ya....
    HUP!

Novice
    Where the catfish are jumpin and the water is rollin down on the Tenn river, Muscle Shoals AL

Cool Re: New guy with question

Why mess up a good bourbon?
    I need more cowbell !!!!!!!!

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by kickert View Post
    I might actually recommend you try a rye whisky. In my humble opinion, Rittenhouse BIB is the best moderatly priced rye. WT101 is also tasty. I have not had Old Overholt or Beamr Rye. While these are not bourbons, they will give you a good feel for what rye tastes like in a bourbon. If you compare Makers to Rittenhouse will see a definite difference. Then you may be able to pull out the rye flavors in something like Knob Creek.
    Kickert, I took your advice and picked up a bottle of Rittenhouse. You were right, once you taste full rye, it is easier to pick it out in Bourbon. I spent the evening comparing the rye to the wheated Makers Mark and then looking for the Rye in Knob Creek. This is an excellent exercise in building fundamental whiskey tasting skills, and I recommend it to other newbies. Thanks again.
    Last edited by Blitz; 01-11-2009 at 12:09.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz View Post

Kickert, I took your advice and picked up a bottle of Rittenshouse. You were right, once you taste full rye, it is easier to pick it out in Bourbon. I spent the evening comparing the rye to the wheated Makers Mark and then looking for the Rye in Knob Creek. This is an excellent exercise in building fundamental whiskey tastings skills, and I recommend it to other newbies. Thanks again.
    I am glad it worked for you. I still have so much more to learn, but once I got rye down, it helped identify other mashbills. I have found high corn mashbills and wheaters both tend to be sweet (as opposed to spicy). High corn is usually oilier and (at least to me) a bit more syruppy (i.e. the sweetness lingers). Wheaters tend to be sweet, but more straightforward. But then again when you get the older wheaters they pick up a lot of vanilla / carmel from the oak and that can be confusing.

Keep it up... it is a pursuit that is fun even when we fail :-)
    Hope is subversive, for it limits the grandiose pretensions of the present by calling into existence the possibility of something better.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by kickert View Post
    I have found high corn mashbills and wheaters both tend to be sweet (as opposed to spicy). High corn is usually oilier and (at least to me) a bit more syruppy (i.e. the sweetness lingers). Wheaters tend to be sweet, but more straightforward. But then again when you get the older wheaters they pick up a lot of vanilla / carmel from the oak and that can be confusing.
    I think you've got those thoughts nailed better than many long time enthusiasts. Trust your tastebuds, they're proving very good so far.

Roger