Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Advanced Taster

Re: New guy with question

Quote Originally Posted by Special Reserve View Post
    Blitz,

Here is a You Tube video done by one of the members that you may enjoy.

How to enjoy your whiskey.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frKWr...eature=related

Will
    Thanks for the link. I think I will sit in front of a Bowl game and watch the videos during commercials. Talk about a perfect day!

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz View Post
    Thanks for all the replies. I am really going to enjoy it here. I figured there was a reason I had never really heard of this type of mixing, and most of the replies confirmed it. The following quote probably summed it up the best:

Don't want to do that!

Here's what I have tried so far ....
    Buffalo Trace
    Knob Creek
    Woodford Reserve
    Evan Williams Single Barrel 1998
    Makers Mark

I think I am working mostly in the 'wheated' catagory here. Can someone make a recommendation for a first 'Rye' to give a try?
    One of my personal favorite rye choices (and a popular choice among many here) is Old Grand Dad 114. It is also pretty fairly priced. Here in FL, I can find it for about $24.99 most of the time.
    ____
    Chris

Virtuoso

Here's what I have tried so far ....
    Buffalo Trace
    Knob Creek
    Woodford Reserve
    Evan Williams Single Barrel 1998
    Makers Mark

I think I am working mostly in the 'wheated' catagory here. Can someone make a recommendation for a first 'Rye' to give a try?
    Actually Maker's Mark is the only wheater you have on the list. You have actually done a very good job of balancing your list. It looks like you need to try a Four Roses (I like the small batch, but others swear by the single barrel). If you want a rye, and try another distillery, I would go with something from Wild Turkey.
    Hope is subversive, for it limits the grandiose pretensions of the present by calling into existence the possibility of something better.

Quote Originally Posted by kickert View Post
    Actually Maker's Mark is the only wheater you have on the list. You have actually done a very good job of balancing your list. It looks like you need to try a Four Roses (I like the small batch, but others swear by the single barrel). If you want a rye, and try another distillery, I would go with something from Wild Turkey.
    Yeah, What he said. Although I'm one of those that prefer the FR Single Barrel. Joe
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Advanced Taster

My original question question was if the Bourbons I have tried so far are too similar in taste, or do I just need to develop my tasting skills. I guess Kickert gave me the answer. I need more practice! Lucky me.

Guru

yeah Blitz, the info provided here is good, but the best way is to drink 'em all and learn for yourself.
    ovh

Virtuoso

My original question question was if the Bourbons I have tried so far are too similar in taste, or do I just need to develop my tasting skills. I guess Kickert gave me the answer. I need more practice! Lucky me.
    I might actually recommend you try a rye whisky. In my humble opinion, Rittenhouse BIB is the best moderatly priced rye. WT101 is also tasty. I have not had Old Overholt or Beamr Rye. While these are not bourbons, they will give you a good feel for what rye tastes like in a bourbon. If you compare Makers to Rittenhouse will see a definite difference. Then you may be able to pull out the rye flavors in something like Knob Creek.

When I first started tasting bourbon I had a very hard time distinguishing differences. I actually did a 5 way taste test and only 2 of them seemed evenly slightly different. I have found the easiest taste profile to first pick up is the movement from sweetness (high corn like Old Charter and High Wheat like Makers Mark) to spiciness/pepperiness (High rye like Wild Turkey). Of those you listed the movement from sweetest to spiciest will usually look like this: MM, BT, EW, WR, KC

Keep it up... it took me about 6 months of trying different bourbons and reading this board to be able to even describe what I was tasting.
    Hope is subversive, for it limits the grandiose pretensions of the present by calling into existence the possibility of something better.

Advanced Taster

If you want a good rye'd bourbon, I would go with the suggested WT101, OGD114, and another good one is Old Forester Signature. The OF Sig is a little cheaper and I really prefer it over the WT101. If you want a straight rye I would also suggest the Old Rittenhouse, very good stuff. I have been going back and forth between the wheatiers and the rye's. On the wheatier side I highly suggest Weller Antique 107 and for the Rye, go with the Signature. If you do not like them, I will gladly take them off your hands. Oh yeah, one more I about forgot bout on the rye side is Fighting Cock. It has a little more bite but still good. I would also suggest start out drinking with a few cubes of ice and work your way to trying to drink it neat, or with a splash of water. May take a while to work up to drinking neat, but you cant beat it on really experiencing the true flavor of the bourbon. Enjoy!
    Rye, The Spice Of Life.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by sotnsipper View Post
    I would also suggest start out drinking with a few cubes of ice and work your way to trying to drink it neat, or with a splash of water. May take a while to work up to drinking neat, but you cant beat it on really experiencing the true flavor of the bourbon. Enjoy!
    This is great advise. The goal is not necessarily to get to the point where you can drink it neat. Rather, the more you drink it, the more you realize the advantages of drinking bourbon neat. I started with it on the rocks and moved to using a splash of water and now I almost always drink it neat.

Advanced Taster

I might actually recommend you try a rye whisky. In my humble opinion, Rittenhouse BIB is the best moderatly priced rye. WT101 is also tasty......

When I first started tasting bourbon I had a very hard time distinguishing differences. I actually did a 5 way taste test and only 2 of them seemed evenly slightly different......Keep it up... it took me about 6 months of trying different bourbons and reading this board to be able to even describe what I was tasting.
    Kickert, this post is very, very encouraging. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by sotnsipper View Post
    ..... Oh yeah, one more I about forgot bout on the rye side is Fighting Cock. It has a little more bite but still good. I would also suggest start out drinking with a few cubes of ice and work your way to trying to drink it neat, or with a splash of water. May take a while to work up to drinking neat, but you cant beat it on really experiencing the true flavor of the bourbon. Enjoy!
    This suggestion and others have been very helpful. I have already put it to use. I found a 50ml bottle of WT101 and tasted it with MM. I went with MM first, and it was familiar, but knowing that it was 'wheaty' before I tried it will will help me to associated the wheat charactor in future tastings. Then I tried the Wild Turkey. After tasting the MM, I could immediately tell the difference. Then a crazy thing happened. I had a flashback of my grandfather. The taste of the 'rye' reminded me of him. He lived with us when I was a teenager and he was an old time whiskey drinker, and gave me a little bit every once in a while. I don't remember what he drank specifically, but it was rye, I have no doubt. This was really fun. Thanks for the encouragement.