Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Connoisseur

How many years of bourbon?

I have 20 bottles of bourbon on hand, and over the last 6 months I have had an average consumption of two bottles of bourbon a month. That means I have a ten month supply of bourbon.

How many months / years supply of bourbon do you have?

If its over 5 years (at whatever rate you drink), how do you justify that to yourself (or to your checkbook)?

Guru

Re: How many years of bourbon?

I'm not up to counting and doing the math on how many years worth of bourbon I have but I'll try that last question, "how do you justify,...."

I have buddies that spend large sums of money on boats, snowmobiles, motorcycles, guns, bow&arrows, fishing rods, cars, trucks and other big boy toys that I wouldn't want if free.
    But they justify it just like I justify my bourbon collection.
    ovh

Guru

I have no problem at all "justifying" what I spend on my passions. Be it Bourbon, Golf, Cooking, Music, or Books.

One of life's pure pleasures is to be able to pursue one's passions with or without comment from others.

At my current rate of acquisition versus consumption, I will never run out.
    or, that's the plan.
    Emancipate yourself from mental slavery. None but ourselves can free our minds.

Bob Marley.

Disciple

I have 300+ bottles. I predict I will have enough until retirement: Oct. 31st, 2027 or maybe even longer!

Thomas

Moderator and Bourbonian Of The Year 2014

I have about 37 unopened bottles on hand (and another 23 currently on the go.) Most of the unopened bottles are ones that I can't find in Australia, and have been picked up overseas or acquired through the enormous generosity of some of our members.
    At my current consumption rate of 1 bottle every 6-8 weeks, I've got enough to last a while. But I won't open something like a Pappy 23 or Four Roses 120th just to drink after work. There's plenty of Jim Beam, Makers Mark and Heaven Hill products available at affordable (Australian) prices for that. The good bottles are for special occasions.

Apprentice

It's easy to "justify" it if you can project the current cost, with the cost at the point you will open the bottle, if you can guarantee it will exist at that point in time.
    I have more than I need/drink right now, but I'm hedging against the expected continued price increases.
    I could have gotten a bottle of Van Winkle 15 for $44 in March and didn't. I'm regretting that now.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by OscarV View Post
    But they justify it just like I justify my bourbon collection.
    Don't get me wrong, I am not saying it is unjustified. Its just that my bourbon collection is growing by a couple of months for every month that passes, and if that trend continues, (hopefully I will have lived long enough that) by the time I die, I will have many years of unopened bourbon in my bunker.

A lot of people are against horders or ebayers or (name your type of person with a different outlook on bourbon than yourself), I say live an let live.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Attila View Post
    I have 20 bottles of bourbon on hand, and over the last 6 months I have had an average consumption of two bottles of bourbon a month. That means I have a ten month supply of bourbon.

How many months / years supply of bourbon do you have?

If its over 5 years (at whatever rate you drink), how do you justify that to yourself (or to your checkbook)?
    I'm struggling with this very subject. At my current average consumption rate I have 7.6 years of booze bunkered. I buy about 4-6 bottles a month and usually consume or give away far less. I share opened and unopened bottles with friends frequently so the consumption rate can vary greatly.

I can't justify it. There is no justification for it in my case. Let's just say it's an obsession that I truly enjoy. I have other hobbies but this one doesn't require me to sweat, get dirty, wear personal protective clothing or furiously clean something when finished.
    Often I am forced to deal with the fact that I prefer bourbon over dealing with facts.

Guru

I have over 300 bottles in my bunker and calculated somewhere around 12 years if I stopped buying today.

I don't need to justify. I love working with wood and therefore have equipment and such in my garage for working with my passion. Same with bourbon.....its a passion. I don't just like drinking bourbon, I like talking about bourbon, learning about bourbon, its history and everything in between.
    “Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.” - P.J. O’Rourke
    Greg's "bourbondork" blog

I have about 75 bottles, or at 2 per month, 3 years worth. Providing I don't buy any more in the mean time. Joe
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"