Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Age vs. Proof?

Apprentice

Age vs. Proof?

What is your ideal Age and Proof?

It seems to me that my favorites are usually 12 to 15 years old, and 100 to 107 proof.

Virtuoso

Re: Age vs. Proof?

I enjoy the differences that ages can present, from new make, through the terrible twos, to no age statement required to old man woody. There are good examples of all of them.

As far as proof goes, just give me 100% whiskey - meaning don't water it down for bottling. I have plenty of water at home, thank you, and I know how to add it to a glass of whiskey.

After that elusive goal is reached, then the lower the proof the better. Kudos to Wild Turkey for holding the line on lower proofs when everyone else caved in and to Four Roses for doing serious research on how low their proofs can be to optimize the flavor and getting a 'mature' product at a younger, less woody age.

All that said, I like 6-10 year ages best from products bottled in the early '80s or before and 10-15 year for current products.

For proof, I like 86 proof or more on early '80s or before, and 100 proof or more with current products. I think as far as intensity of flavor goes, it takes at least 100 proof for almost any new product to equal a standard 86er from the '70s.

Roger
    Last edited by Rughi; 12-31-2008 at 17:08.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by lovejones View Post
    What is your ideal Age and Proof?
    What Rughi said! If I nailed it down to one age and proof for myself I'd say 10 years for age. For proof, I agree on 100 as the baseline. Of course, every bourbon I drink that is 10 years old and 100 proof isn't going to taste the same and some might be better than others but in general 10 years seems about right to mellow the whiskey before the wood begins to dominate. 50% ABV allows for quick warming and evaporation carrying that great bourbon smell quickly to my happiness sensor.

But, I must confess, my true objective is 6 to 20 years and 86 to 125 proof. I have been known to relax my rigid standards from time to time.
    Often I am forced to deal with the fact that I prefer bourbon over dealing with facts.

I've found that my preferences for bourbon seem to be for those in the 7-10 year old range, and around 100 proof. Joe
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by lovejones View Post
    It seems to me that my favorites are usually 12 to 15 years old, and 100 to 107 proof.
    I'm with you........although there is a certain 8yo/101 & a no age/114 which I dearly love!

Virtuoso

I keep a database of all the whiskey I have tasted and if I look at my top 10 there is a clear preference.

I like bourbons 9-15 years (especially 10-12 yo) and my proof right at 90. Of course I would rather have a higher proof than a lower proof, but 90 is where I drink it.
    Hope is subversive, for it limits the grandiose pretensions of the present by calling into existence the possibility of something better.

Disciple

Anything under 90 proof seems to bore me. I do like Sam Houston @ 86 (85.6?) & that seems to be the one exception, but I like a high proof -- as Rughi said, I know where to find water. I love the 12 year bourbons (EC12, VSOF, etc.), but I think there are some fine bourbons from the 7 year on up (Baker's, KC, WLW SR) -- it seems that 7 is the magic number to start from for me -- I do like EC18 every once in a while, but that may be a little old. I think that every expression is different, though, so I try to stay open-minded, I just haven't found many bottles to take seriously that fall below 90 proof. Rye is a different matter, I have no issue with 80 proof rye whiskey (and even though not many like it, my one encounter with Basil Hayden was fairly enjoyable also -- this does not drink like a bourbon to me, though).
    "A person can work up a mean, mean thirst after a hard day of nothing much at all . . . "

Andy

Virtuoso

90 seems like the place to start with me. I drink neat about 99% of the time and 90 to 100 or a little above seems right to me. Above 110 proof it can get a little unpleasant sometimes but I still manage to handle it like a man

I've found that age is not a pressing concern as long as the whiskey is good. I love the EC18, but it's a specialty act, in its own realm. I'd love to see an EC15 at barrel proof, no chill filtering, that'd be an eye-opener!

Age is a very necessary part of making bourbon bourbon (get a taste of some white dog on the FR tour sometime; its resemblance to the final product is faint at best, in my opinion, but very informative) but I'm sure that, like most of the best things in life, every barrel has its own sweet spot. I'm grateful that the good people who make America's finest spirit seem to know where that sweet spot is!

Cheers!

Taster

Age: 15 years, Proof: 107. More brands should adopt this profile.
    Fwisge For All!

Novice

Even with my inexperienced palate I prefer at least six years old and 100 proof.

There are some exceptions though.