Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
    Novice

Hello From Western Washington

Hello from western washington!

I found this site while googling information on different types of bourbon. So far, it's been very informative. I just got started sipping bourbon a month ago and have really enjoyed it.

My boss actually got me started, he really likes sipping scotch and encouraged me to try some different malts. I went to the nearest state liquor store (yes, yes, WA state is a big liquor selling business) and picked up some 1 shot bottles of:

Jameson Irish Whisky
    Bushmills Irish Whisky
    The Singleton Scotch
    Johnny Walker Black Label

First things first, I hated the scotch. I'm not sure I could ever acquire a taste for it.

I enjoyed the irish whiskys sweet pear like taste but I sensed that they lacked a spectrum of flavor.

Then I was at a local bar a few nights later and the bar and the bartender suggested I try some Maker's Mark. I then found the complete package in Whisky. Bourbon had alot of sweetness to it and had a sort of fieryness that the irish whisky lacked.

Since then, 2 parts MM with 1 part water is my drink of choice. I've also tried:

1) Booker's: I absolutely loved it. Rather spendy though.
    2) Basil Hayden's: Had a really light taste. It reminded me more of an irish whisky then bourbon.
    3) Baker's: Reminded me alot of Booker's, but mellowed out.

Are there any other bourbon brands that I should check out? What's a good rye whiskey that would be worth checking out?

Enthusiast

Re: Hello From Western Washington

Hello from another western Washingtonian.

Being from Washington state I feel your pain on the lack of Bourbon variety, it is out there, you just have to look.

For recommendations, I found this post (http://www.straightbourbon.com/forum...ighlight=Sijan ) useful when I first started and picked a couple from each section to try.

The Seattle Liquor stores seem to have a better selection than some of the other cities I have combed through.

Welcome to the Bourbon world!
    Jason
    "The man who smiles when things go wrong has thought of someone to blame it on"

2010 Fantasy Football Champion

Re: Hello From Western Washington

Welcome G. Jason has given you a good start by pointing you in the right direction. The threads here have an amazing amount of information. If you have some spare time, you might try searching the history in some of the old threads.
    As far as recommendations go, Maker's is a decent bourbon. Operative word, decent. The other three you have tried are all from the Jim Beam Small Batch Collection. My favorite from that collection is Knob Creek. I would suggest branching out some. Try some bourbons from different distilleries. This will give you a better all around feel or taste for what's out there. Some of my personal favorites are; Four Roses Single Barrel, Wild Turkey Rare Breed, anything from the Weller line, (Weller Special Reserve, Weller Antique, Weller 12 yr old, William Larue Weller) and Eagle Rare Single Barrel 10 yr old. I could name more, but this is a good start. I'm sure other members will post soon enough, and put in their two cents. The folks here are good about sharing their knowledge and expertise. Good luck with your foray into the world of bourbon. Hope you have fun. Joe
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"