Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Guru

Neat vs. On-the-Rocks

A couple of days ago I experienced a revelation. I discovered that my enjoyment of Knob Creek is greatly enhanced by the addition of ice cubes.

As I've mentioned before, I've always been ambivalent in my feelings about Knob Creek. Taken neat, I've always enjoyed the nose a lot, and the palate quite a bit, but I've found the finish to be peppery/hot/rough to the point of unpleasantness, though not to the point of preventing me from replacing empty bottles (two so far).

The last time I emptied a bottle there was barely an ounce left. I decided to pour it over an ice cube. I swirled it for only a few seconds, hardly enough time for significant dilution to occur, and took a sip. It tasted and felt good all the way down. I wondered whether the month that last portion had spent in the company of a bottle full of air had produced a change.

I didn't open my next bottle until Linn gave us the homework assignment a couple of weekends ago. (As I've mentioned before, KC tasted better to me that day than my beloved Russell's Reserve. Subsequent drinking has not supported that finding. I still think I spent too much time in the early stages with the VW products, hopelessly confusing my taste buds, but no matter.) Then a few days ago I tried KC over ice again -- this time with a full two ounces and three or four ice cubes. Once again I found the whole experience enjoyable, with no wincing at the finish.

I find it surprising that the addition of ice has this effect without diminishing my enjoyment of the nose and on the palate. What is your experience in this regard?

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Enthusiast

Re: Neat vs. On-the-Rocks

Dave,

I will have to give the ice cube thing a try. I always fix my drink with just a splash of water. It will be interesting to note the differences.

Bob

Taster

Instead of a splash, I add just a bit of crushed ice. It disolves quickly, provides the same amount of water as a splash, and cools the Bourbon just a bit.

**DONOTDELETE**

I agree with all of you! Neat; splash, rocks, or crushed - that's how I like my bourbon

Administrator in exile

Dave,
    I drink most of my bourbon with 1 or 2 ice cubes. I like my bourbon cool, but not only that, I enjoy the experience of the taste changing as the ice melts. If it gets to the point of being too dilute, I just add more bourbon

Guru

I like different bourbons different ways, and sometimes I like the same bourbon different ways. I usually prefer mine on the rocks, but sometimes I enjoy it straight or with a splash of water.

When I used to enjoy and read about single malt scotch, I read that the "proper" way to drink whiskey is two parts whiskey to one part water. I have had some excellent drinks of bourbon that way.

Tim

Disciple

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    I like different bourbons different ways, and sometimes I like the same bourbon different ways.

[/QUOTE]

I must agree to this statement, thought since the bourbon festival I have been on a "having my bourbon neat" kick, with some great results. That said bourbons like Old Forester &amp; Very Old Barton are great over ice.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    When I used to enjoy and read about single malt scotch, I read that the "proper" way to drink whiskey is two parts whiskey to one part water.

[/QUOTE]

Really?? I seem to find this just a little too dilute for me anymore, do you have any suggestions for particular bourbons to try this way??

TomC

Disciple

EXACTLY!!!!!!!

I couldn't agree with you more!

Tom ( BLEEEEE! ) C

The Boss

I rarely cut bourbon with liquid water. During a tasting I might, but for the most part, I just let the melting ice dilute the bourbon.

I consume bourbon neat 98 percent of the time, though I've found that if it tastes good neat, it will almost certainly be good on the rocks. The converse is not always true. I think chilling it down can mask quite a few potentially objectionable flavors.

Just my $.02. As always, your mileage may vary.

Guru

I normally like it stronger, myself. This is just something I do once a month or so. I read it in the context of expensive, single malt scotch, so I don't think it should be limited to inexpensive or harsh whiskeys.

You will find that cutting the whiskey this way releases additional aromas and flavors. It is just another way to taste the whiskey. In fact, I read very recently in an article on "how to taste whiskey" they recommended a one-to-one ratio of whiskey and water! I don't know.

All I can say is, try it if you want to. BTW, it was stipulated that the water be at room temperature. Remember, this is probably the British / European method. They also drink warm beer, which most Americans cannot abide.

Tim