Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Disciple

Bourbon Hit List

I find the more bourbons I try the longer my list of things I want to try grows. So what is on your list of things you still want to try. Mostly duties? Limited releases? Expensive bourbons our of your price range?

Here is my list:
    • Pappy Van Winkle 15
    • William Larue Weller (BTAC)
    • Eagle Rare 101
    • Sazerac Rye 18 (BTAC)
    • Pappy Van Winkle 23
    • Four Roses Single Barrel
    • Thomas Handy (BTAC)
    • Bernheim Wheat Whiskey
    • Old Rip Van Winkle 10
    • Weller Centennial
    • Four Roses Yellow Label
    • Sazerac Rye (Saz Jr.)
    • VS Old Fitzgerald
    • Sam Houston
    • Rebel Yell
    • Ezra Brooks
    Hope is subversive, for it limits the grandiose pretensions of the present by calling into existence the possibility of something better.

Disciple

Re: Bourbon Hit List

I'm most interested in stuff that's hard-to-find and/or out of production....Weller Centennial is at the top of my hit list right now.
    "A person can work up a mean, mean thirst after a hard day of nothing much at all . . . "

Andy

Enthusiast

I'm starting to get more and more interested in the annual releases. I'm waiting for the new Birthday Bourbon to hit the shelves. I wish there were more moderate price-point choices like OFBB and EWSB. BTAC kills my bourbon budget for 3 months every time I buy a bottle!

I also like forbidden fruit. If you can't find it in Michigan, I want it. I stock up on JTS Brown and Ritt BIB whenever I see them outside MI.
    Jeremy
    www.awksome.com

“We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful what we pretend to be.”
    --Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. François View Post
    I'm waiting for the new Birthday Bourbon to hit the shelves. I wish there were more moderate price-point choices like OFBB and EWSB. BTAC kills my bourbon budget for 3 months every time I buy a bottle!
    I totally agree with you there Jeremy! The OFBB is a great price for what you get IMO. When the BTAC hit the hi $50s and sounds like this year pretty well broke $60 I get a lot more hesitant to go out and buy it! And I feel a little silly about the money I spent on the Four Roses 40/120 anniversary bottlings only to find myself returning to the regular single barrel and liking it better than both of them! Oh well live and learn.

Just to reiterate, I have yet to be disappointed by a recent bottling of OFBB especially at under $40!
    C

"everybody defamates from miles away
    but face to face
    they haven't got a thing to say"

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Virus_Of_Life View Post
    I totally agree with you there Jeremy! The OFBB is a great price for what you get IMO...

Just to reiterate, I have yet to be disappointed by a recent bottling of OFBB especially at under $40!
    Agreed! I found a little place about 45 minutes away from me that has bottles of OFBB for $21.99. I almost feel bad paying that much for 'em. Almost.

As for my hit list, it currently is made up of stuff I have never laid eyes on (or tried) here in the state of Florida and looks like this:

Rock Hill Farms
    2008 BTAC Handy Sazerac
    Wild Turkey Split Label
    Any of those really old bottles I keep seeing you dusty hunters find!
    Blanton's Cask Strength
    Blanton's Gold
    Blanton's Super Gold

Now I'm getting thirsty.
    ____
    Chris

Disciple

Okay.... I will take Rebel Yell off and add 4 Roses 40/120/Mirage
    Hope is subversive, for it limits the grandiose pretensions of the present by calling into existence the possibility of something better.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by kickert View Post
    Okay.... I will take Rebel Yell off and add 4 Roses 40/120/Mirage
    Don't knock the 'Yell. I think it is one of the better 80 proof bourbons on the market! Worth a try, even if only to decide you don't like it. A bottle costs the same as three drinks at a cheap bar, so it's definitely worth the experience.
    Jeremy
    www.awksome.com

“We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful what we pretend to be.”
    --Kurt Vonnegut

Disciple

Jeremy,
    I was really shocked when I saw how lightly colored the most recent bottling is of RY. I will admit to buying more than one of many different years of RY, but this most recent one is super light in color. I actually let the distributer know in case it was a mistake. Though, every place I see it now...they are all the light colored one. The first place I noticed it...they had both the new and old. The difference was amazing.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by mozilla View Post
    Jeremy,
    I was really shocked when I saw how lightly colored the most recent bottling is of RY. I will admit to buying more than one of many different years of RY, but this most recent one is super light in color. I actually let the distributer know in case it was a mistake. Though, every place I see it now...they are all the light colored one. The first place I noticed it...they had both the new and old. The difference was amazing.
    This is heart breaking to read. The Rebel has fallen far from grace. I tried it back in the early 70's and since I didn't know any better, I liked it. In 2006 I bought a bottle out of nostalgia and poured a drink. All I can say is it excited my gag reflex. I put it back on the shelf and tried it a couple of nights ago and it tasted like W.L. Weller Special Reserve. I tried it again tonight and it had completely lost that off taste from the first pour and now is sweet and light like WL Weller or Makers Mark. A two year rest did wonders for it.

I only paid $12 for it. Still, it isn't going to compete with the favorites and letting an open bottle rest for two years to get it right probably doesn't make sense. I'll still be glad to drink it cause its paid for with 2006 dollars and it currently don't taste bad at all.

If its undergone a further slide, then this one is the last one for me.
    Often I am forced to deal with the fact that I prefer bourbon over dealing with facts.

Guru

Well, here are mine, excluding hopeless dusties & stuff I own already but haven't opened. These are to taste, not necessarily to buy:

Non-hopeless dusties:
    ND era OGD, Crow, Taylor BiB's
    Medley Era Wathen's
    Jacob's Well (I had it years ago, but I would like to try it again)

Current Bourbons:
    RHF
    EB (any expression)
    4R Mariage
    EC 18
    OFBB
    Noah's Whatever
    Hirsch
    Parker's Heritage
    Sam Houston
    JB 7 y/o
    PVW 12 Lot B
    PVW 20 y/o
    VSOFitz
    OFBB
    WT Kentucky and American Spirits

Other American whiskeys:
    WTRR Rye
    Old Portero
    Cascade Hollow (current)
    Stranahans (or whatever, the CO stuff)

I'm sure I'll think of some more.
    Last edited by Josh; 01-09-2009 at 09:18.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog