Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Advanced Taster

Re: Bourbon Hit List

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz View Post
    Good thread.

First, here's where I've been:
    • Buffalo Trace - Like a lot
    • Knob Creek - Love it. Regular pour for me.
    • Rittenhouse 100 BIB - My first Rye. Jury still out
    • Woodford Reserve - unremarkable
    • Evan Williams 1998 - Liked it okay, not memorable
    • Makers Mark - so so.
    • Pappy Van Winkle 20 - Love it, but not as regular pour
    Here is where I want to go:
    • Old Grand Dad 114
    • Eagle Rare 10
    • Elija Craig 12
    • Four Roses SB
    • Pappy 15
    • Bookers
    • Wild Turkey Rare Breed
    Am I on the right path? Any redundant choices? thanks for your input.
    Since I first posted this, I have seen a lot of love for Elmer T. Lee, so I am adding it to my hit list.

Advanced Taster

Blitz,

Absolutely pick up some Elmer T Lee. It was one of my first variations outside the common bar bourbons and now it's a go to pour.

As for the rest of your list, here are my impressions

OGD 114 - I think you'll enjoy this based on your love for Knob Creek

Eagle Rare - My SB is not bad/not great. Your results may vary. The Eagle Rare 101 seems to be universally loved on these boards.

Elijah Craig 12 - I would take this over the OGD 114 as well as the EC 18 year version.

Pappy 15 - I liked this more than the 20 year personally. In all honesty, you're not going to go wrong with a Van Winkle product though.

Bookers - It's high proof and you really taste the alcohol. If you want something in the high proof range, look for a George T Stagg or a Thomas H Handy Sazerac. Both are 125+ proof but can be had neat and are still delicious.

WTRB - Some people love it. At $35+, I'll personally get something else. To be fair, I'm not the biggest WT fan in general. Buffalo Trace > Wild Turkey.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by Klepackage View Post
    Blitz,

Absolutely pick up some Elmer T Lee. It was one of my first variations outside the common bar bourbons and now it's a go to pour.

As for the rest of your list, here are my impressions

OGD 114 - I think you'll enjoy this based on your love for Knob Creek

Eagle Rare - My SB is not bad/not great. Your results may vary. The Eagle Rare 101 seems to be universally loved on these boards.

Elijah Craig 12 - I would take this over the OGD 114 as well as the EC 18 year version.

Pappy 15 - I liked this more than the 20 year personally. In all honesty, you're not going to go wrong with a Van Winkle product though.

Bookers - It's high proof and you really taste the alcohol. If you want something in the high proof range, look for a George T Stagg or a Thomas H Handy Sazerac. Both are 125+ proof but can be had neat and are still delicious.

WTRB - Some people love it. At $35+, I'll personally get something else. To be fair, I'm not the biggest WT fan in general. Buffalo Trace > Wild Turkey.
    Hey klepackage,

Thanks for your feedback. That's why I am here. Here are a few updates. I got the EC 12 and thought it was awful. I know alot of people love it, and I know it's inconsistent. I also got some Bookers. People complain that it's too high proof to drink neat, but Booker Noe's intent with this product was for the end user to decide the proof (by adding water) instead of the distillery deciding the proof. I really like it. Also, Eagle Rare, I agree with you, it's okay. The the bottle doesn't call to me like others do. I also agree Buffalo Trace>WT. I can't get into the WT products, but I don't give up on anything until I give it a full chance. We'll see.

Disciple

I'm coming for Julio's RHF...add it to the hit list...also, lots of things I can't get:

Rittenhouse Rye BIB
    Virginia Gentlemen SmB "The Fox"
    Weller Antique
    Very Old Barton, BIB
    Old Fitzgerald (any expression)

and I'm really itching for:

Eagle Rare 10/101

any age statement Wild Turkey
    "A person can work up a mean, mean thirst after a hard day of nothing much at all . . . "

Andy

Virtuoso

Hey Boozer, I know of places with the Ezra B 12...let me know if you're looking for any.

Tony

Quote Originally Posted by The Boozer View Post
    Have seen very few comments about Ezra B SB. Glad that a few people have tried it. Avaialble but tough to find in my state (MI). Did pick up a bottle yesterday and was planning on opening it tonight.
    TJ
    PS: I may drink the whole bottle since my wife is going to make me sit through a chic -flick with her tonight.
    "So long as the presence of death lurks with anyone who goes through the simple act of swallowing, I will make mine whiskey"

Connoisseur

I feel Iíve done pretty well here in the isolated PNW, thanks to some very kind SB folk! I would someday like to try some Four Roses Single Barrel, Old Forrester B-day Bourbon and some PVW 23. But MOST of all, I want to try anything available at the Gazebo one day...in the company of some of you fine folks...now that would be a drink I would truly savor.

Todd

Bad Girl and Bourbonian Of The Year 2012

Quote Originally Posted by T47 View Post
    I feel Iíve done pretty well here in the isolated PNW, thanks to some very kind SB folk! I would someday like to try some Four Roses Single Barrel, Old Forrester B-day Bourbon and some PVW 23. But MOST of all, I want to try anything available at the Gazebo one day...in the company of some of you fine folks...now that would be a drink I would truly savor.

I can help you with all of those If you ever decide to come to the gazebo.....you have to promise to stop at my house!!

Dawn
    Dawn
    2007 Fantasy Football Champion
    GBS Member #4
    2012 BOTY

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by T47 View Post

Todd,

You've got to make it to the gazebo some time. I promise it's an experience you'll always remember. These folks are even nicer in person than they are on this site (I know that sounds impossible, but it's true). I found the gazebo by accident the first time I went to KBF, that's when I learned about this site. I've been going back twice/year ever since. I wasn't even a bourbon drinker at that time (I drank that iodine and seaweed flavored stuff from across the water - which I still enjoy). They educated me as to the nuances of good bourbon, and made a bourbon lover out of me. I'm still learning and learn more every time I go. Again, if you or any other member ever find your way to the Ozarks, let me know and stop by for a visit and some refreshment. I don't have the best bar in the world, but I always have at least 10 or 12 open bottles and a few more in reserve, and my wife is a gourmet wild game cook, so I think you'll find something to suit your taste. (Just don't ask me where the big headed kid with the banjo lives.)

Back to the topic, my hit list is any bourbon I've never tasted, as well as finding some of those delicious "dusties" I've tasted at the gazebo.

Enthusiast

Hancock's Reserve for me. After all these years and I still have not tried it, largely due to price and tasting commentsó*and I'm a BT fan. BB

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by ACDetroit View Post
    Hey Boozer, I know of places with the Ezra B 12...let me know if you're looking for any.

Tony
    Thanks Tony,
    I believe the Red Wagon Shop carries it regularly but if they are short, I will give you a hollar. All the other stores are either out or don't carry it. Have you tried it?
    Sorry it took me awhile to get back with you, been busy with work.
    TJ