Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it me?

Novice

Is it me?

Does anyone besides me think that Evan Williams and Jack Daniel's has a similiar taste? I know, EW's a Kentucky bourbon and JD's a charcoal-filtered Tennessee whskey, but nevertheless, I swear, to me EW tastes just like its Tennessee cousin. And don't think my taste buds are completely eroded. I can tell a big difference between Daniel's and Dickel. And, no, Dickel doesn't taste like EW to me in case you're wondering.

Enthusiast

Re: Is it me?

I don't like EW or JD so there could be some truth in it, for obvious reasons i've never done a side by side tasting of them.

It is no secret that I love that elixir of the gods, bourbon.

absolutely not JD taste like charcoal EW is very good bourbon.
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider, is chaos for the fly.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Sipper View Post
    Does anyone besides me think that Evan Williams and Jack Daniel's has a similiar taste? I know, EW's a Kentucky bourbon and JD's a charcoal-filtered Tennessee whskey, but nevertheless, I swear, to me EW tastes just like its Tennessee cousin. And don't think my taste buds are completely eroded. I can tell a big difference between Daniel's and Dickel. And, no, Dickel doesn't taste like EW to me in case you're wondering.
    There's something about EW & JD in Chuck's book. I believe that there was at one time a JD shortage. Other brands were created (by other companies) to capitalize on this. HH released EW (square bottle, black label, man's name) and the Ripys came out with Ezra Brooks (square bottle, black label, man's name) for this purpose.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Guru

It's you.........................
    John B

"Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons… that is all there is to distinguish us from other animals."

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    and the Ripys came out with Ezra Brooks (square bottle, black label, man's name) for this purpose.
    I missed that,... The Ripy's created Ezra Brooks?

Hmm,...
    ovh

Connoisseur

Have you tried other EW offerings compared with JD. I have not had JD black label in a long time but I don't remember them tasting the same.

Enthusiast

JD tastes like bananas to me and EW doesn't.

Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by p_elliott View Post
    absolutely not JD taste like charcoal EW is very good bourbon.
    You're right. To me JD has a definite charcoal taste and is kinda weak otherwise. EW has a good bourbon flavor to it. Old Heaven Hill (7 year) is a little cheaper even than EW, and in side by side tasting I think it is a little smoother with about exactly the same taste. Still not exactly the same catagory as WT 101 or OGD BIB, though. YRMV

Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Sipper View Post
    Thinking about this further, I know of more than one person who used to drink JD, and now has switched to EW Black because they think EW is just as good, and much cheaper.