Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: Need Advice: Empty Rock Hill Farms Decanter

i really like the vatting idea....a personal touch for sure...and a pleasurable challenge as you mix taste mix taste etc to get it JUST right!

i actually planned to do this with a mason jar for my brother...he's getting into bourbon and i wanted to make him a decent vatting. not as nice as a RHF decanter...but charming enough!
    HUP!

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by ACDetroit View Post

Whatever Doc, if you want the other one it's yours! Though if you agree to take it I'm making Christian delete this thread since it will be a mute point until it's gone...And I know how long the first bottle lasted

T
    Thanks, Tony. I think you need an open Golden Ponies bottle at your house. I'll visit it often.

Thank you all for the suggestions! I'm going to give some serious thought to that vatting idea!
    Jeremy
    www.awksome.com

“We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful what we pretend to be.”
    --Kurt Vonnegut

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. François View Post
    Thanks, Tony. I think you need an open Golden Ponies bottle at your house. I'll visit it often.

Thank you all for the suggestions! I'm going to give some serious thought to that vatting idea!

I was not suggestion you grab anotherone from Tony, but that is always a good idea.... if you really wanted another, I was going to get off my lazy ass next time I was in that area (the area the score camre from) and see if I could get you some more....

I had forgotten the name of the store and that would have forced me to do some homework... I know about where it was on a map... sort of...

.... the real question is, when you find RHFs for $24 a bottle, how the hell can you forget the name of the store... I might have to start a new thread on how stupid that is.... but I do visit a lot of cities... every once in a while I get SPUN around

Enthusiast

The day I find a bottle of RHF for $24 I'll be frequenting that store on a daily basis. And by the way Dr. F. If you read my tasting notes on B.E. = Dickel - I stated the exact same words: Flintstones Vitamins. Thirdly, my cousin Dr S. lived adjacent to Kurt V. in Northampton MA. I'd tap on the wall at night at night when visiting saying "Good night Kurt!!!" We still have an open pack of his Marlboro cigarettes on the counter, under one of his hand-signed prints. He was one helluva guy... and the closest thing to RHF = Blanton's. But it's not cheap. BB

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
    The day I find a bottle of RHF for $24 I'll be frequenting that store on a daily basis. And by the way Dr. F. If you read my tasting notes on B.E. = Dickel - I stated the exact same words: Flintstones Vitamins. Thirdly, my cousin Dr S. lived adjacent to Kurt V. in Northampton MA. I'd tap on the wall at night at night when visiting saying "Good night Kurt!!!" We still have an open pack of his Marlboro cigarettes on the counter, under one of his hand-signed prints. He was one helluva guy... and the closest thing to RHF = Blanton's. But it's not cheap. BB
    What a great post!

Thanks!

I didn't know KV smoked Marlboro. He was always pictured with Pall Malls, one of the reasons I picked up a few packs when I lived in Greece. KV will be missed!

Thanks again, BB.
    Jeremy
    www.awksome.com

--Kurt Vonnegut

Enthusiast

A) What bourbons under $24 (the price I paid for the RHF) have a similar overall profile to RHF?

B) What bourbons under $24 could pass as being a top-shelf product if packaging were not an issue?
    Right now I'm thinking:

A) Charter 101 or AAA

or

B) a custom vatting (thanks to many wonderful suggestions).

I'd still love to hear more suggestions.
    Jeremy
    www.awksome.com

--Kurt Vonnegut

Advanced Taster

KV will be missed!
    So it goes.

I've always felt a (slight) connection with him after a friend pointed out his childhood home a few blocks from my house. I seem to remember KV saying the dogs in the neighborhood had more of an influence on him as a child than any of the people [liberally paraphrased].

Anyway I had a google search for what he drank after reading the author's+drinking thread, but didn't come up with a particluar drink, just that he was very fond of the drink in general for a time. Ever find any empty bottles BB?

Advanced Taster

Oh yeah, the decanter.

If you still dabble in re-barreling that would seem like an obvious choice.

Enthusiast

What a great post!

Thanks!

I didn't know KV smoked Marlboro. He was always pictured with Pall Malls, one of the reasons I picked up a few packs when I lived in Greece. KV will be missed!

Thanks again, BB.
    KV was a Pall Mall smoker to his last day. Marlboro's on occasion... BB

Advanced Taster

RHF is > $50 here in Northern Indiana.