Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bowling Green

Virtuoso

Question Bowling Green

Any estimates on how long it would take to make a round trip from Nashville and do some bourbon hunting along the way? Any recommendations on where to go in BG?

Thanks in advance for any help/advice.

Disciple

Re: Bowling Green

Quote Originally Posted by Old Lamplighter View Post
    Any estimates on how long it would take to make a round trip from Nashville and do some bourbon hunting along the way? Any recommendations on where to go in BG?

Thanks in advance for any help/advice.
    From Nashville proper to Bowling Green it is just under 1 hour. That is what I usually figure and often I can do it 45-50 minutes. As far as I know, there are nothing between the TN line and Bowling Green.

As for stores here in Bowling, Chuck's always has a good selection and there are three good locations (Plus Chuck is a really great guy). One is just off exit 22, the other is just off exit 28 and the third is on Veterans Memorial. At exit 22 there is also Greenwood Spirits which has a good selection, and actually the Kroger Spirit shop has some good deals and a pretty good selection. Those three are within a mile of each other. The other good place is Shinanigans and it is on Campbell lane.

Honestly, it all depends on what you want. If you are looking for something special, just let me know. I did a run to every liquor store in town a few weeks ago looking for some dusties. There is lots of Pappy 23 up here, 1 bottle of Pappy 20. BTAC is around but sporadic. Lots of good Bottled in Bonds. The only stash of dusties I know of is a place that has some Weller Centinial and some OC 12 (Classic 90).

If you were looking to hit up all the good stores, you could make a nice loop out of it and not really double back. Get off on exit 22 and make a left onto Scottsville Rd. Turn right in 1/4-1/2 mile onto 3 Springs and go to Chucks. Then go back to Scottsville Road until you get to the Kroger. The spirit shop is there in that shopping center. Greenwood spirits is up at the next corner of Scottsville Rd on Cave Mill. After you go there continue down scottsville rd to Cambell lane by the Best Buy. Turn left and go until you see the big light up sign on the left for shenanigans. After that, keep going on Campbell lane untill it turns into Veterans Memorial. The next Chuck's is also on your left across from the Walmart. After that keep going down Veterans until you come to Louisville Road. Turn left on Louisville Rd and drive until you get to the third Chuck's. It will be on your left just before the Interstate.

I don't know if you are interested, but there are several of us getting together here in Bowling Green on Dec 14 to split a bottle of Pappy 20. You are more than welcome to join us. Shoot me a message if you have any questions. I would be more than happy to let you know which store is best for what.
    Last edited by kickert; 12-06-2008 at 21:13.
    Hope is subversive, for it limits the grandiose pretensions of the present by calling into existence the possibility of something better.

What a wonderful response to a fellow members request. I live near Chicago and not even taking that trip but makes me want to !! I just had to comment on this one. As Borat would say Very a nice a !!!!

Pete

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

The best thing about Nashville is that it is so close to Kentucky.

Bowling Green isn't right across the border, but it's probably the first place you can get to that's wet. Russellville may be a little closer. Both are wet cities in dry counties but Bowling Green is a lot bigger and that's where you'll find a good selection.

It's not a bad drive, but I'm not sure how much you can find in BG that you can't find in Nashville.

Guru

Thumbs up Re: Bowling Green

Every time I go through Bowling Green, I stop at Chuck's on I-65 and stock up. When I walk in and look around, it is like being in heaven!

Tim
    Self-Styled Whisky Connoisseur

Disciple

There are actually two Chuck's just off the interstate. The one off 22 usually has more of the higher end stuff and special releases, but the one off of exit 28 actually has a better selection. Two totally different clientele though. The southern Chuck's caters to a more upscale crowd (Their wine guy Blake really knows his stuff). The northern Chuck's is right by my house and caters more to the bootleggers. However, the northern one is also the one Chuck himself is always at, so the bourbon and scotch selection is incredible. There is plenty of $150+ bourbons there in a cabinet by the registers.

If anyone is in the area, shoot me a message, I would gladly share a drink with you.
    Hope is subversive, for it limits the grandiose pretensions of the present by calling into existence the possibility of something better.

Virtuoso

Thumbs up Re: Bowling Green

Really appreciate all the help and advice. Next weekend, I will let ya'll know what I find and buy. Chuck's will definitely be on the visitation list.....both of them!

Been working in & around Nashville most of latter half of the year.....taking up most of my time which explains my long absence here. Tried to hit as many stores as possible there but did not find a whole lot of anything I did not already have. However, time was very limited working 6-7 days a week. Got to head back up there on 11-12th and thought I would shoot up to KY as much as time allows. BG seemed like the logical place to target being close to Nashville. Hoping to find some Weller Centennial and maybe some older WT (LOL on that one I'm sure). Did not know WC had been discontinued until yesterday.

Thanks again.....back in touch soon!

Advanced Taster

Being a WKU grad, I have real good memories of BG. Had my first Blanton's at a place on State street, called Downtown Liquors...

I digress. Anyhow, the Chuck's at X22 would prolly take care of your needs if you are limited on time. The drive from Nashvegas to BG is a nice one, and like the guys have said, you can make it in less than an hour without getting in a hurry. If you have time, drive around downtown and campus.

Connoisseur

I drove through Bowling Green today, and stopped at Chuck's to check out the selection. The selection was pretty awesome, and included the entire BT Antique Collection. Unfortunately the prices were not awesome...$99.99 per bottle for the BTAC. I left empty-handed.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by robbyvirus View Post
    I drove through Bowling Green today, and stopped at Chuck's to check out the selection. The selection was pretty awesome, and included the entire BT Antique Collection. Unfortunately the prices were not awesome...$99.99 per bottle for the BTAC. I left empty-handed.
    Really? Did you go to the exit 22 Chuck's? I am disappointed with their $100 asking price for the BTAC (but people will pay it for sure), but I thought they had sold out of Stagg. I called down there a few weeks ago to check and that is what they told me.