Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Virtuoso

Re: Dusty Score or Bad Bottle

I have been looking for one of those for a while !!!

Nice score !!!! (wanna trade????)
    Cheers,

Scott

Reality is an illusion created by a lack of alcohol.

Guru

First, the Eagle Rare is a great bourbon. Pick it up and enjoy it. Let us know the bottling date (two digit number found on the bottom of the bottle)

Second, using the search function answered many questions I had early on. There's nothing wrong with asking a question but I would suggest to anyone that asking a question to fill in the gaps of information is appropriate.
    “Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.” - P.J. O’Rourke
    Greg's "bourbondork" blog

Advanced Taster

There are many numbers on the bottom of the bottle, but the only two-digit number appears to be 02. Does that make sense?

There was also some Old Forester 86 proof, $14, that seems to be of an older bottling than that currently on sale in most stores. Is this good whiskey?

Virtuoso

Ok...... Where does it say it was distilled? Frankfort, New Orleans, or Lawrenceburg?

And which one does it look like?

or

Cheers,

Scott

Reality is an illusion created by a lack of alcohol.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by mozilla View Post
    I am not just trying to be a dick. Really!
    Really?

I participate in a whole bunch of different forums and I occasionally see a rant like this. If you really think about it... once forum has been in effect for a few years you could say that much of what is being discussed has at some point been discussed before. So should nobody post a new question in fear of asking something that may have been previously discussed?

Maybe a better avenue would be to simply ignore the post if it stresses you out that much?
    Last edited by Hondo; 01-10-2009 at 07:09.

Advanced Taster

Mine is the second (bottom) picture.

It says "Bottled by Old Prentice Company, Frankfort, KY."

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by Hondo View Post
    Really? Because you succeeded beyond your wildest dreams! Congrats!

I participate in a whole bunch of different forums and I occasionally see a rant like this. If you really think about it... once forum has been in effect for a few years you could say that much of what is being discussed has at some point been discussed before. So should nobody post a new question in fear of asking something that may have been previously discussed?

Maybe a better avenue would be to simply ignore the post if it stresses you out that much.
    I was going to avoid this conversation on the finer points of "netiquette" but I have given in and will make some general comments.

First, forums are not primarily for the collection of knowledge, they are for the discussion of topics. Just because something has been discussed before, does not make it inappropriate to discuss it again. However, it is polite to see if another thread on the topic already exists. On the other side, if you are looking to a forum specifically for information collection, then it would be courteous to first see if the information you are looking for has already been covered. If it is then problem solved, if not, then by all means ask your question.

Therefore...

1.) Starting a thread on bourbon balls would be appropriate. Although it has been discussed before, there is no currently open thread.

2.) Starting a thread on the best whiskey you have ever had would be inappropriate because a similar thread is already available.

3.) Starting a thread to ask what Bonded / Bottled in Bond means would be inappropriate because it has been covered ad nauseum and the answer is easily available.

4.) Starting a thread to ask why 750ml is the standard whiskey size would be appropriate because (as far as I can tell) it has not been covered.

In sum....

If you are looking to start conversation, be polite and make sure the topic is not already there... otherwise, go for it. That is why we come here, to discuss bourbon.
    If you are looking to ask a question, be polite and make sure it isn't easily accessible. At least take the 30 seconds required to do a cursory search.

Hint: I have always found it is better to tag onto an existing thread if possible rather than start a new one. This does two things. 1.) it makes information easier to find. 2.) it revives threads that others may have forgotten about / not known about, which then keep discussion going.

Thoughts?
    Hope is subversive, for it limits the grandiose pretensions of the present by calling into existence the possibility of something better.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by kickert View Post

Hint: I have always found it is better to tag onto an existing thread if possible rather than start a new one. This does two things. 1.) it makes information easier to find. 2.) it revives threads that others may have forgotten about / not known about, which then keep discussion going.

Thoughts?
    This is a good idea, I and others here have revived old threads and this puts them out front again and the information gets seen by newbies and others that may have missed it the first go 'round.
    ovh

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by OscarV View Post
    This is a good idea, I and others here have revived old threads and this puts them out front again and the information gets seen by newbies and others that may have missed it the first go 'round.
    yeah... that is what I was trying to say
    Hope is subversive, for it limits the grandiose pretensions of the present by calling into existence the possibility of something better.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Squash View Post
    Was this a dusty score or just a less fancy bottling of the same whiskey?
    I often face the same questions you do, Squash, as there are very many dusties that come up for auction here in Japan.

As a matter of fact, earlier this evening, I saw a bottle that looks just like the one you mentioned and I wondered how different the juice was from what is currently produced. However, I have already blown through my bourbon purchasing budget all the way through March-end, I didnt make the purchase.