Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Disciple

Re: Dusty Score or Bad Bottle

Quote Originally Posted by Squash View Post
    I search on this forum all the time, but sometimes you just want simple answers to simple questions in a timely manner, so thanks again to all those who helped.

This is so rude and the example of which I spoke.

Enthusiast

Although, I tend to agree the search feature ought to be used first I think I have to point out an obvious problem with the search feature that may not be too obvious to those who have been here for some time.

There is an almost Bourbon-specific language in use on this site that is incomprehensible to the occasional poster who is looking to do research on a find. Look at any thread here and you will find a confusing array of acronyms, slang and pet words being used to describe product. The search feature fails in the light of this behavior. You will notice, when I found some Eagle Rare 101 proof in November I went out of my way to include the complete name of the product in my header and in the body of my post so as to allow a road map, via the search feature, to allow others to follow in my footsteps. Indeed, I even included close up, in depth photos of the bottles to illustrate what they look like for the benefit of those who might be looking at that post down the road to use it as a guide to find their own. As a relative newbie to this site I have spent hours trying to decipher posts as to their meanings. I notice there is even an acronym translation guide on this site to assist in this decryption. Personally, I think the use of standard English; rather than acronyms, abbreviations, pet words and slang to describe things here would make this site MUCH more usable to everyone involved; the initiated and uninitiated. Until then, rather than spending hours (like I have) learning the slang and pet words please do not be surprised when posters show up here confused by the search feature (like I was and often still am) and just post a question. Just my thoughts!

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Mo, while I agree with much that you say, and that we all could utilize the "search" function more, you really need to use the "Ignore" function, if you don't like a post from someone. First, it was your problem with the PR & C, and you ranted about that. Why you felt compelled to read it, and not ignore it when it irritated you so, I still wonder about. You opined that you only wanted the site to contain "bourbon" information and questions. Now, this is the second flaming you've given a new member in the last couple of months because their "bourbon" question didn't meet your muster. You may not want to waste your valuable knowledge on certain questions, so DON'T. Maybe, someone else will be more than happy to answer up. LET THEM. It's a discussion board. Let people discuss. If you've already discussed, or aren't interested in the topic, don't engage, and go back to doing the things that bring enjoyment to you.
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Disciple

Thanks Joe,
    I welcome eveyones input on this subject.

This is not about whether or not I like or don't like a post or thread. It is about behavior on the site.

Laziness and constant flooding of an area with threads is not acceptable on a community site, IMO. I am not all fired up...just concerned about behavior in the group.

Persons who refuse to get involved by reading and learning are not members in good standing.

Persons who find it necessary to continually post threads with hardly more than a link somewhere else...bring little to this community.

While, I can alway use the ignore button to alleviate my concerns, internally. It does not change the fact that it is still going on in reality.

Do I think these people should be flogged....No. Do I think that there should be some restraint and self moderation when posting a thread to the community as a whole YES.

And Yes, I come here for bourbon and the friends I have made here. I don't usually post in topics that don't interest me. I try not to waste the valuable time of the others on this site. Unlike, some who think we could not go more than five minutes without hearing one of their thoughts.
    Last edited by mozilla; 01-11-2009 at 08:57.

Trippah and Admin

Perhaps a PM to someone who violates your forum standards would be a better avenue for starters? Grandstanding in a thread only makes one look like the forum police (when there are those who actually have that job here).

Just IMO
    My name is Joel Goodson. I deal in human fulfillment.
    I grossed over eight thousand dollars in one night. Time of your life, huh kid?

Guru

Anyone want to buy a Monkey?

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by callmeox View Post
    Perhaps a PM to someone who violates your forum standards would be a better avenue for starters? Grandstanding in a thread only makes one look like the forum police (when there are those who actually have that job here).

Just IMO
    Give me a break...Grandstanding?

So, a person can't express concerns without being labeled a grandstander?

It's not always easy to get thorough thoughts across in writing short posts. So, I believe your assessment is a little premature.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by spun_cookie View Post
    Anyone want to buy a Monkey?

I'd be afraid it would get into my bourbon. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gptm...eature=related
    The vBulletin search function can be frustrating IMHO. When I first got here I did a lot of searching, but mostly using google, e.g.:
    "eagle rare" site:straightbourbon.com
    ER101 site:straightbourbon.com
    Last edited by Skunk; 01-11-2009 at 09:46.

Virtuoso

The search function can be frustrating, and it can fail to pull up things that you just know in here somewhere.

I don't think anyone would complain about someone asking a question that they couldn't find the answer to.

Trippah and Admin

Quote Originally Posted by mozilla View Post
    Give me a break...Grandstanding?

So, a person can't express concerns without being labeled a grandstander?

It's not always easy to get thorough thoughts across in writing short posts. So, I believe your assessment is a little premature.
    Think of it in the context of making a mistake at work. Would you rather have someone approach you individually to point out the error would you prefer that you hear about it for the first time during a meeting with many others?
    My name is Joel Goodson. I deal in human fulfillment.
    I grossed over eight thousand dollars in one night. Time of your life, huh kid?