Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Administrator in exile

BOTM, 1/09: Weller Antique

We've discussed various Weller brands over the years, most garnering critical acclaim from our esteemed group of devotees here on SB.com. This month's BOTM is by request from the membership: Weller Antique 107.

Rich and full-bodied with the classic Weller profile, the Antique 107 packs lots of punch for relatively little cost. Great for slow sipping or for mixing when you really want that bourbon flavor to shine in your favorite cocktail.

Tell us how you prefer your Weller Antique?!

Sound off
    Simplicity is the essence of universality - MK Ghandi

Virtuoso

Re: BOTM, 1/09: Weller Antique

I know there is lots of love for Weller Antique, but it just doesn't do it for me. I will say this, it is a great price for the proof you get. There are not many 105*+ bourbons you can get for under $20.

I gave it a 7.75 out of 10 (which places it in the 60th percentile on my all time list). Here are my notes:

Hard to get past the alcohol when drinking straight. Cinnamon is driving flavor. Once watered down it looses a lot of character and becomes very similar to WSR.
    Hope is subversive, for it limits the grandiose pretensions of the present by calling into existence the possibility of something better.

Connoisseur

well, i really was surprised and impressed last year when i had it...yet, i am having bad luck with my 'second tries' when resampling a bottling. and a SHAME it went up here in PA....from 18.99 to (i think) 20.99...but i will gamble it and grab a bottle tomorrow. i haven't participated in many BOTMs...

is this a 'wheater' ? something makes me think it is. like all Wellers???
    HUP!

Guru

I like Weller Antique but I like all the other Wellers better.
    ovh

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by polyamnesia View Post
    is this a 'wheater' ? something makes me think it is. like all Wellers???

It is in fact a wheater
    Hope is subversive, for it limits the grandiose pretensions of the present by calling into existence the possibility of something better.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by jeff View Post

Tell us how you prefer your Weller Antique?!

Sound off
    I prefer all bourbon straight out of a shot glass. I ain't throwin it back, just sippin. I don't go over 114 proof with this style. You know what label I'm talkin about. I am jaded on Weller Antique. Today's version is good, but I have a supply of 70's shit that is the real deal. No comparison. Give me Stitzel-Weller or give me death!

Connoisseur

To me the Antique was one of those bourbons with intense flavor and some heat to go with it. I got a lot of sweet corn, brown sugar, buttered cinnamon toast, oak, hint of smoke, pepper, all spice and a touch of menthol. If you like the Antique, it has intense flavor, high proof, and moderate price.
    Often I am forced to deal with the fact that I prefer bourbon over dealing with facts.

Connoisseur

ok, it's settled! the PLCB site revealed it is 'on sale' for the old price of last year....$18.99. nonetheless, at least it IS. will be getting a bottle at 9:01am tomorrow...
    HUP!

Trippah and Admin

Damn...I bought three bottles a week ago at the non-sale price. Friggin Pennsylvanians!

I like the Weller 12 a bit more than the Antique, but the additional proof points make it a great value pour for me.
    My name is Joel Goodson. I deal in human fulfillment.
    I grossed over eight thousand dollars in one night. Time of your life, huh kid?

Guru

by far (to me) the best $20 bourbon on the market. It is the younger brother of the PVW 15yr.... and with just a drop or two of what this bad boy opens up almost as much as the PVW 15.... just a great bourbon....