Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: BOTM, 1/09: Weller Antique

This is, imo, the best of the regular Weller line, I did enjoy them but none of the others I've tried come close, and one of the best bourbons I've ever had. When this is in stock I generally don't buy anything else for everyday drinking if I'm buying bourbon. (Unless, of course, I'm not in the mood for a wheater...) Usually readily available and cheap but best not taken for granted in any regard... Someday I gotta find myself a SW dusty of this on!

Quote Originally Posted by shoshani View Post
    I sometimes refer to WA as a Poor Man's Rip...
    I used to think that too but I didn't find that last bottle of ORVW10 107 I had to be as good as WA, too much wood iirc.
    /\../\

"I've had eighteen straight whiskies, I think that's the record . . ." - Dylan Thomas

Novice

I have just began to delve into bourbon, but Weller's Antique has been one of the better ones for me to date. The previous posts have aptly described the taste and I agree with them. It has a rich flavor that's enjoyable to me on the rocks without any bite to it, which is remarkable considering its proof. I look forward to getting to the other bourbons in the Weller family....

Connoisseur

wow. last night. already. the bottle is empty. i am getting to appreciate a SMALL drop or two of water...i am sensing the nice changes of a pour opening up...without any real 'dilution'...i think Antique mellowed down to an invisible fiery heat of 105 tasted wonderful.
    HUP!

Enthusiast

Still new to the bourbon world, but I really enjoyed this. It is the first brand I've tried that is over 100 proof. I had it neat and with a splash of water, and I enjoyed it both ways. I think I preferred it with water, probably because the higher proof. Either way, it was very good and a great value.

Novice

Quote Originally Posted by ggilbertva View Post
    I have the added benefit of enjoying a Single Barrel, non-chill filtered Antique done for a store in KY a year or two ago.
    I picked up a bottle of this during the holiday season. Now that it is gone, I wish I had picked up half a dozen more.

Novice

This stuff is my regular pour..like it on the rocks with a splash. Also like it in the 1.5L bottle(because it's THAT regular!). Also like the 10yo Van Winkle 107.
    Drink the Weller 12 and Evan Williams Single Barrel neat.
    Last edited by NewBob; 01-15-2009 at 07:47.

Taster

My cabinet is never out of this fine wheater for very long. I got Larrys last bottle yesterday for $17.95. He's directly across the street from my work. Aint I lucky?

J.W.

Thanks again Jeff. Weller Antique is one of my favorite everyday pours. It reminds me of the three bears story."This bourbon is too sweet. This bourbon is to spicy.This bourbon is juuuust right!" Gotta love it. Joe
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Guru

I like Weller 107. I'll usually have it with an ice cube or two (in the summer) or with a splash of water.

It's really a great value, which is a big factor in why I like it so much. It's probably my favorite Weller/VW, tho I do have a Weller 12 y/o in the cabinet ready to be cracked when I finish something else. Great pick.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Advanced Taster

I agree with most of what has been said. Simply a great everyday whiskey. I like it with a little splash and it is just fine drinking. This bottle is one of the main reasons I've decided there is no reason to chase high priced bottles. And if a friend wants to mix it, I don't have a heart attack because of the price.
    Ron

ECONOMY, n. Purchasing the barrel of whiskey that you do not need for the price of the cow you cannot afford”
    - Ambrose Bierce