Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Advanced Taster

Re: BOTM, 1/09: Weller Antique

This is one I hadn't tried until I saw it was BOTM. WOW was I missing out! This is a great bourbon at a great price. I may even have found a new goto bottle. Its got good flavor and for 107 proof goes down amazingly smoothly.
    "I'm and optimist, even if the glass is half empty, there's still more in the bottle!!!!!"

Bad Girl and Bourbonian Of The Year 2012

Quote Originally Posted by jeff View Post

Tell us how you prefer your Weller Antique?!
    Sound off
    "Neat" in a Ridel Spirit glass! I have a gold veined bottle open thanks to a sb.com member in Texas!

Dawn

Guru

Grabbed a bottle this morning. It's been a long time since I've had this.

As it turns out, I'm spending my MLK holiday dealing with computer crashes and draining the OWA.

All in all... it could be much worse.
    John B

"Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons… that is all there is to distinguish us from other animals."

Advanced Taster

I wanted to try an value 'Wheater' and since its the BOTM, I picked up a bottle. I really enjoyed it. The 107 proof is deceptive because its so smooth. I think this one made my team.

Besides being a good value pour, it's a good "return to" bourbon. I sometimes get so involved trying/buying other bourbons, that I will lose track of my Weller Antique. When I decide to go back and have a pour, it's always there like the old reliable that it is. Great, consistent taste. Easy on the palate and the pocket book. Welcome back. Joe
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Guru

I cracked open a new bottle for tonight. It isn't as sweet on the finish as I last remembered but since I'm still recovering from this cold its probably just my taster that's not up to snuff. Its realy too bad this stuff isn't a well bourbon in a lot of bars, or at least one of the cheapest calls. I've never seen it in a bar
    Last edited by ILLfarmboy; 01-19-2009 at 21:19.

Advanced Taster

Bought some yesterday. At $24 a bit higher than most seem to be paying, and I really didn't know what to expect being completely unfamiliar with the Wellers. Well worth it, though ... a healthy dose of corn sweetness offset by the very manageable proof. Tried it neat (the way I drink most bourbon). Tasty and surprisingly smooth. Definitely added to my short list of affordable favorites!
    Jay

Connoisseur

wondering what everyone pays for this....used to be 17.99 in pa ( i think, or was it $16.99?!! )...now it's a dollar more....and yes, a bargain for sure.

i, too, forget about it and always delighted to return to it. a true go to.

my go to list grows and it includes Weller Antique, WT101 Rye, Ezra B 12...Benchmark might be if the next bottle impresses...
    HUP!

Disciple

I have really liked my older bottles of Old Weller Antique. The newer versions seem to be more muted than past bottles. Each new one I try seems a little farther away from the SW profile. I would really like to see all the wheated producers lower their barrel entry proof for some special versions in the future for comparisons sake. From what I have learned lower proof in the barrel will age a bourbon faster than at a higher proof. Which, if were the case, would mean that today we are getting a younger 7/107 than before 1984 when the barrel proof was lower. Plus, the fact that the glut was in full effect. Makes me wonder how old the older versions would be in todays math....yesterdays 7/107 would be todays 10/107 or 15/107?
    Well, if you can find an older bottle...it is sure worth it.

Enthusiast

I like Weller Antique alot. I'm not a very analytical drinker (like I just posted in another thread.) It's the only weater I've had since I really liked bourbon. I should try it up against some others. At any rate it tastes great and the bottle disappears fast. Even my wife drinks it (which is not common.)