Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Virtuoso

Re: BOTM, 1/09: Weller Antique

The Weller is just okay for me, not very special. I did enjoy it. Good for a wheater and the price is nice for a 107. It did pique my interest in wheaters, though, and I'm hoping to try this year's BTAC Weller. I'll need to find some outside of NH, though, our stock is gone.

Cheers!

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by OscarV View Post
    I like Weller Antique but I like all the other Wellers better.
    I reserve the right to change my opinion.
    I picked up an Old Weller Antique 107 yesterday and I have been comparing it to my Weller 12yo.
    OWA107 wins.
    ovh

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by OscarV View Post
    I reserve the right to change my opinion.
    I picked up an Old Weller Antique 107 yesterday and I have been comparing it to my Weller 12yo.
    OWA107 wins.
    Oscar, I appreciate your opinion and insight, but to me Weller 12 is in a completely different league than OWA. I am slowly getting to where I prefer higher proof pours neat, but to me OWA trades character for proof in a comparison with Weller 12. I do prefer OWA to the Weller Special Reserve, but I love the syrupy-sweet characer Weller 12 offers. At similar proofs, OWA simply falls apart.

I cant wait to try to WLW barrel proof. I think I may just fall off my chair with that experiance.
    Hope is subversive, for it limits the grandiose pretensions of the present by calling into existence the possibility of something better.

Enthusiast

Agree with Mozilla that OWA is not what it used to be, but, frankly, that could be said for a lot of brands. It's still a great choice for the price, and much to our surprise, the last Weller 12 (an old favorite) we had didn't hold up to it - the distinctive sweetness gave way to a "mediciny" tone that wasn't pleasant.
    Dave & Tina
    (Thank you, Jim!)

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by kickert View Post
    ... but to me Weller 12 is in a completely different league than OWA.

... to me OWA trades character for proof in a comparison with Weller 12.

... I love the syrupy-sweet characer Weller 12 offers.
    The Weller 12 almost feels like a training bourbon to me now.... It is not a bad drink, but compaired to the other Wellers, the bottle feels like it should come with a bib and a nipple... then again all bottles should come with a set of nipples ... .... ..... ........ ...... you know... in case you loose one

The OWA seems to have a much larger range today in taste than it once did (speculation, not based on scientific data). For not being a single barrel, the 5-6 bottles I have tasted from (and recall) have all been very different. The Party Source bottle I tasted from was crazy good. I used it for a simple tasting exercise and it was more complex and deep than the PVW 15 I pulled from.

The current one that I have is very good. not near as good as the PS bottle, but very happy good... blows the doors of the Weller 12s I have had.

The others ranged from, eh, bottom shelf to, wow, very good bottle shelf.

I can easily stand behind OWA being the best Wheatear for under $20/25 ...
    Last edited by spun_cookie; 01-24-2009 at 07:48.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by spun_cookie View Post

The OWA seems to have a much larger range today in taste than it once did (speculation, not based on scientific data).

The current one that I have is very good. not near as good as the PS bottle, but very happy good... blows the doors of the Weller 12s I have had.
    Yeah, I agree Em.
    Maybe the OWA107 has been improved. This recent bottle is much better than the one I had about 14 months ago.
    And the Weller 12yo that I have open is very thin.
    ovh

Virtuoso

I picked one up earlier in the week. Although it is not my favorite, it is better than I remember.

Quite possibly one of the best $20 bourbons out there.
    Cheers,

Scott

Reality is an illusion created by a lack of alcohol.

Connoisseur

it's still January! and, ah, i got the last bottle at my local store...still on sale, too, for $18.99...that last one went too fast...wonderful stuff. a true go-to...
    HUP!

Enthusiast

Oh, I knew this was a good week to come back to this board! OWA is a staple in my cabinet and I will drink a mighty pour of it tonight in honor of straightbourbon.com!

Virtuoso

Good to have you back, Jack! I was wondering where you went.

Cheers to you!