Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.

Hello from Louisiana

Hello,

I am a bourbon lover. My favorite is Old Charter 12 Year Old. It has been hard to find, but some distributors are moving bottles from other parts of the country back into our area. I currently have five jugs stashed away and a couple of pints. I will visit my local liquor store this evening to see if they have any new bottles in.

Since they have quit making the 12 year old I have decided that I will take the 8 year old and try to mature it in an oak cask. I can not stand the 8 year old and can really tell the difference when comparing to the 10 and 12 year old. Anyway, I ordered two oak cask with a medium char. I am putting the 8 year old in one and I will try and blend a port wine in the other. I set up a blog to document my journey at http://backroombourbonhome.blogspot.com .

Let me know if you what you think.

Johnny

Re: Hello from Louisiana

Welcome aboard Johnny. Bourbon is what this place is all about. Keep the posts coming. Joe
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by Bonfire Smoke View Post
    Hello,

I am a bourbon lover. My favorite is Old Charter 12 Year Old. It has been hard to find, but some distributors are moving bottles from other parts of the country back into our area. I currently have five jugs stashed away and a couple of pints. I will visit my local liquor store this evening to see if they have any new bottles in.

Since they have quit making the 12 year old I have decided that I will take the 8 year old and try to mature it in an oak cask. I can not stand the 8 year old and can really tell the difference when comparing to the 10 and 12 year old. Anyway, I ordered two oak cask with a medium char. I am putting the 8 year old in one and I will try and blend a port wine in the other. I set up a blog to document my journey at http://backroombourbonhome.blogspot.com .

Johnny
    There is some 12 in my area, but I was not impressed with. That was a surprise to me because I like 12 yo bourbons and I love OC 10. Welcome aboard. I will pour some OC12 just for you right now.
    Hope is subversive, for it limits the grandiose pretensions of the present by calling into existence the possibility of something better.

Enthusiast

Welcome, Johnny!

I, too, really like the OC 12 and 10. Have you tried the new "Charter 101?" It is a very similar profile to OC10

As for re-barreling, you'll find several of us have attempted similar projects. I documented my findings here:

http://www.straightbourbon.com/forum...ead.php?t=9144

Keep up the good work!
    Jeremy
    www.awksome.com

“We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful what we pretend to be.”
    --Kurt Vonnegut

Thanks Jeremy. I will check out your findings. I have tried the OC 101. I like it better than the 8, but it had a funny after taste I did not care for.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Bonfire Smoke View Post
    Hello,

Johnny
    Now that is dedication... welcome to the board... I look forward to your adventures...