Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Advanced Taster

The New Noilly Prat Dry

So it appears that Noilly Prat is changing the dry vermouth that it is shipping to the US. Apparently they had two dry Vermouths, one that was less flavorful that was sold in the US primarily for the Martini market, and a more traditional version sold in the rest of the world where Martinis aren't as popular.

So with the roll out of the new bottle shape, they are only making the more flavorful traditional version, and that is what will be coming to the US now.

The dissenting voice:
    http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123154573030469717.html

The positive voice (buried in a good article on all things vermouth):
    http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...WI0111LMMB.DTL

I just spent time searching to see if there were going to change the Noilly Prat sweet (which of course many of us love for Manhattans) but I couldn't find any info in this regard. It sounds like there wasn't two versions of the sweet to begin with. Anyone know for sure?

As far as the dry goes, I'm interested! I never really liked martinis with only a hint of vermouth. I like the more traditional measurements, and am looking forward to trying one with the new Noilly dry.
    Steve
    "Rye whiskey, rye whiskey, rye whiskey I cry. If a tree don't fall on me, I'll live till I die" - Tex Ritter

Guru

Re: The New Noilly Prat Dry

Very interesting. Since I have probably never had a dry martini made with European-style full flavored vermouth, I will have to wait until I've had a chance to try it before I comment, further.

Tim
    Self-Styled Whisky Connoisseur

Guru

Unhappy Re: The New Noilly Prat Dry

After reading both articles you gave links to, I am pretty sure I will fall on the WSJ side, i.e., "Nay".

Tim

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

If you wanted to stock up and bunker the old formula, does anyone know the shelf-life of an unopened bottle?
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Guru

Although the accounting on the web (via google) are all over the map, Vermouth, like any wine degrades after opening.

It will lose some flavor or change until it goes bad. From what I read, 9 months after opening refrigerated would be the max, but I doubt it is even near what it was when opened. I was say after 3 months, opened and refrigerated it will not be what you bought (the quality that is).

Now if it is unopened and stored at the proper temperatures, it will depend on the vermouth, but I would say no longer than 10 yrs and really closer to 7 max (standard for about all white wines as I recall).

Sweet white wines will last a lot longer. 1 yr per gram residual sugar (22grams = ~22 years).

Virtuoso

An alternative would be to just drop an olive in straight gin. While the author of the first article claims he likes to taste the vermouth in his martini, the rest of the article implies otherwise. And there's always Cinzano or Martini & Rossi for wetting the ice.

If the existing U.S. martini market was providing Noilly Prat with the sales they want I doubt they would be making the change.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by craigthom View Post

If the existing U.S. martini market was providing Noilly Prat with the sales they want I doubt they would be making the change.
    I would agree with that idea. The thing is, unless people are really dedicated to martinis, a bottle of dry vermouth lasts a long, long time. In fact, I always buy the small bottle (375 ml) and it takes me many months to get through it. So, I can say unequivocally, they are not making much money on me.

The WSJ article opines that they are trying to approach a new market segment, women who would use more of it as an aperitif. If they can make more money that way, then that is what they need to do.

I will simply have to change brands.

Tim

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by ratcheer View Post
    The thing is, unless people are really dedicated to martinis, a bottle of dry vermouth lasts a long, long time.
    Tim
    I like to have sweet and dry vermouths in the fridge for cooking.

They take the place of wine (they're great for deglazing!), which my wife and I just never drink fast enough to not throw most of it away. Vermouth easily lasts long enough to use up in cooking.

In fact, my biggest disappointment with being a home winemaker is that I found I didn't want to drink it often enough to warrant making it. I'm that sporadic about drinking whiskey as well, but the timeclock on an open bottle of bourbon is measured in seasons not days.

Roger

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Rughi View Post

In fact, my biggest disappointment with being a home winemaker is that I found I didn't want to drink it often enough to warrant making it.
    Roger

I am in teh same boat. I quick makig my yearly wine bcause I am behind two years and risk having the last going bad...

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by Rughi View Post
    I like to have sweet and dry vermouths in the fridge for cooking.

They take the place of wine (they're great for deglazing!), which my wife and I just never drink fast enough to not throw most of it away. Vermouth easily lasts long enough to use up in cooking.

Roger
    I keep a box of white wine in the refrigerator for cooking. I don't use it all up before it goes bad, but it lasts a lot longer than opening a bottle.

Hardy's makes decent wines which come in three liter boxes, and they last a few weeks, since no air comes in contact with the wine. And Hardy's is sibling of Barton Brands.

For beef I use brandy (VS cognac, actually) for deglazing. It also allows makes for showy flames if you ignite it.