Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
    Novice

Hello from Washington!

My name is Tyler, and I'm a student at UW living just outside of Seattle.
    Just over a year ago i began working at an upscale bar downtown. I had always been a whiskey fan, but i quickly fell in love with bourbon. I've gone down the rabbit hole, and never want to turn back.

I'm still just a novice and I have a ton of questions about the wonderful ambrosia, bourbon.

Primarily my questions are in regards to the various stills that are used. I've read a lot about the importance of using copper in the distillation process. Why exactly is it so important? Some distillers use all copper pot stills, while others use equipment made of significantly less copper.

I've also read that pot stills, while somewhat less efficient, can give the distiller much more control over the flavor of their product. But i have also read that many distilleries use column stills, or a combination of the two. What are the advantages/disadvantages to the different still configurations? Are there advantages to a still with a gooseneck compared to other styles?
    Thanks for the help! I'm looking forward to to this new journey into the world of whiskey.

Tyler

Re: Hello from Washington!

Welcome aboard Tyler. You've come to the right place to learn about bourbon. I can't help you out with your question about stills, but I'm sure someone can. I can suggest that you do a search of some of the old forums. There's a lot of good information to be found. Good luck, and I hope you have some fun. Joe
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Welcome aboard Tyler I also read your post on BE I got to thinking you may want to check out the distilleries web sites they may say why they use the stills that they do. Anyway welcome a board too both sites post often and have fun a lot of the people here are also at BE. they're very helpful and will be glad to answer any question they can. Mike Veach and Chuck Crowdery (SP sorry Chuck) are the persons most likely to be able answer this question.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Tyl3r View Post
    My name is Tyler, and I'm a student at UW living just outside of Seattle.
    Welcome to the board Tyler. I am glad you are into Bourbon because your choice of school brings great sadness.

Search the history threads on this site or buy a copy of Bourbon, Straight: The Uncut and Unfiltered Story of American Whiskey by Chuck Cowdery (more info here: http://home.netcom.com/~cowdery/page2.html) Both will get you started in your quest for knowledge.

How is the bourbon selection where you work? If you work a FX then it is great otherwise I haven't found a bar in Seattle that has much selection.

GO COUGS!
    Jason
    "The man who smiles when things go wrong has thought of someone to blame it on"

2010 Fantasy Football Champion

Novice

Quote Originally Posted by GOCOUGS2002 View Post
    Welcome to the board Tyler. I am glad you are into Bourbon because your choice of school brings great sadness.

Search the history threads on this site or buy a copy of Bourbon, Straight: The Uncut and Unfiltered Story of American Whiskey by Chuck Cowdery (more info here: http://home.netcom.com/~cowdery/page2.html) Both will get you started in your quest for knowledge.

How is the bourbon selection where you work? If you work a FX then it is great otherwise I haven't found a bar in Seattle that has much selection.

GO COUGS!
    Thanks for the help! I've been lookin at some of Cowdery's stuff on the net, and it's been pretty helpful so far.

I used to work at F.X. when i was younger, but was only interested in Jack back in those days. The Palace Kitchen on Fifth and Lenora has a pretty good selection of bourbon, and some nice rye whiskies too. Not to mention they seem to always have a bottle of the A.H. Hirsch on hand.

I guess we can be friends here in the forum, but things might be different come game time.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Tyl3r View Post
    I guess we can be friends here in the forum, but things might be different come game time.
    It all depends on if you are a sore loser or not
    Jason
    "The man who smiles when things go wrong has thought of someone to blame it on"

2010 Fantasy Football Champion

Novice

[quote=GOCOUGS2002;154280]It all depends on if you are a sore loser or n

I'll admit, you do have point there.

Novice

Quote Originally Posted by p_elliott View Post
    Welcome aboard Tyler I also read your post on BE I got to thinking you may want to check out the distilleries web sites they may say why they use the stills that they do.
    Thanks for the advice.

Connoisseur

Tyler,

Welcome to SB! The northwest group continues to grow.

Todd