Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.

Thread: Binny's

Advanced Taster

Binny's

For my Chicago area friends, does the Binny's downtown(or any other) location have a better selection than my Glen Ellyn store?

Also, is there another store in the area that I should check out, or is Binny's in it's own league?

Thanks in advance.

Enthusiast

Re: Binny's

Binny's is pretty much in its own league. As a general rule, if your nearest Binny's doesn't have something but another Binny's does, they'll happily send it to your local. Takes a day or two but they don't charge for the service.

I happen to work near two Binnyses, one in Skokie and another in Niles. Skokie is a small building with major storage and shelving issues, so they will carry the better-selling items but not the ones with a smaller following. You can get Weller Special Reserve or 12 YO at Skokie, but you have to go to Niles to get Antique. Likewise, you can get all the Elmer T. Lee you want at Skokie, but you have to go to Niles for Very Old Barton - which, admittedly, comes in four different strengths, each one with two shelf facings.

I have been to several Binny's. While all have great selections of bourbon, the South Loop store does have a few bourbons that some of the others don't. That is also the store Brett (their whiskey guru) calls home. It kind of goes without saying that there would be a bit better selection there, than at the other stores. Joe
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Advanced Taster

Thanks for the good info guys.

BTW, I'm taking my kid back to school in Champaign this weekend. I'm going to check out Friar Tuck's down there. I hear that's a good one too.

Blitz, I've been to the Friar Tuck's in Bloomington and Peoria. If the one in Champaign is on par with these, you will be a happy camper. Take the Visa or Mastercard. Joe
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Guru

Hey Blitz!

You're not far from me if the Glen Ellyn Binny's is your local store. As mentioned in earlier posts, the South Loop store generally has a few items that are not always available at all Binny's locations (Very Old Barton, Ancient Ancient Age, Rittenhouse BIB and Virginia Gentleman come to mind) but you've really got to check out the Willowbrook store on Rt. 83 just north of Plainfield Rd. which should be an easy run for you, as well as the Schaumburg store. I seem to recall that both have better stock than Glen Ellyn, if only marginally so. It would also be worthwhile to stop in at Sam's Wines & Spirits on Butterfield in Downers Grove. Their inventory is smaller but occasionally has some stuff not found at the Binny's stores, not to mention a great beer selection. If you sign up for a Sam's card, be sure to take advantage of the 20% discount on all glassware and get yourself an authentic Glencairn whisky glass for $8! You'll never find a better glass for bourbon, scotch and Irish whiskey in my opinion. Happy hunting!

Advanced Taster

Friar Tuck

So I went to Friar Tuck in Champaign(IL) yesterday. Very nice store, great Bourbon selection. However, the pricing and selection was no better than Binny's. I did find one bottle that I don't rembember seeing at Binny's and it was Johnny Drum 12 yr old. I've read about every post the last couple of months on this board and I don't recall this bourbon being discussed. Does anybody have any experience with this brand?

Also, I picked up the BOTM Weller Antique. I'll be opening both tonight.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Guru

Arrow Re: Binny's

Just type "Johnny Drum" into the forum search function. You will get many references to it spanning several years of postings.

Tim
    Self-Styled Whisky Connoisseur

Guru

Re: Friar Tuck

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz View Post
    So I went to Friar Tuck in Champaign(IL).....

I frequent the one in Peoria and I've never seen Johnny Drum 12 yr old there. Friar Tuck bills themsevels as having the best down-state selection, and I believe them.