Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

Re: Thomas Handy Sazerac vs. Sazerac 18

Quote Originally Posted by Rughi View Post
    My memory wasn't so clear on it myself, and my bottle is in the part of the bunker that's not easy to access, so I wasn't in any hurry to dig it out. On second reading, I think Oscar may have meant the first era of Saz 18, not just the first year. I think that the VW rye and the old Saz were each blended with Medley whiskey and tanked the same year, so this spreadsheet and the link in the post by Steve should be helpful.

Anyway, from my faulty memory, these are the years for the BTACs

2000- Stagg
    2000- ER "17"
    2000-2003 Saz "18" First Era
    2000-2004 Weller "19" (never seen an 03 or 04)

2004- Saz "18" Second Era
    2005- Larue
    2006- Handy

2009-Ridgemont Reserve Barrel Proof
    2009-Fleischmann's Barrel Proof Rye
    2009- Very Very Olde Barton Bond (8yo)

Okay, some of that is wishful thinking.

Roger
    The first Stagg was 2002
    Weller 19 only ran 3 years 2000-2002
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by barturtle View Post
    The first Stagg was 2002
    Weller 19 only ran 3 years 2000-2002
    Yeah, but was I right on the 2009 releases?

Guru

Thumbs up Re: Thomas Handy Sazerac vs. Sazerac 18

Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post
    Uncle, buy all of that Pappy 15 at $37. Then, buy all of the Handy at $51. Then sir, go buy a Lottery Ticket. It's your day.
    Thanks everyone for the quick and insightful feedback. I know that I'll eventually end up buying both of the Sazeracs but after reviewing all of your comments, I think I'll start with the Thomas Handy and get the Sazerac 18 another time. For that matter, the store I went to also had the Michter's 10 for $50 which I'd also like to try.

It's a bit*h when you stumble upon a jackpot and don't have the money to snag all the stock that's on the shelf. I did grab one of the Pappy 15's for $37 (leaving three others behind), as well as a bottle of Redbreast Irish Whiskey and a bottle of Glenmorangie Port Wood. But then I tossed and turned all last night thinking that I could have gotten the latter two at another time and stocked up on the Pappy 15. (They also had "Lot B" for $33 and Pappy 20 for $78, but I prefer the Pappy 15 for the $4 extra over the "Lot B" and I can get TWO bottles of Pappy 15 for the cost of one Pappy 20, so I don't see a Pappy 20 in my future.) I know that "Virus of Life" suggested that I bust out the ol' credit card and pounce on all those Pappys, but my wife already thinks my stockpile and bourbon acquisitions are "insane," "excessive," "compulsive," etc., so short of resorting to some kind of subterfuge I think I'll have to just get one at a time and hope they last a few more weeks. Unfortunately, the store is quite far from my house but definitely worth the drive time and gas.

Enthusiast

2009-Fleischmann's Barrel Proof Rye
    This intrigues me. Even if they didn't use the Fleischmann's name on it. I had this once and though it didn't impress me, I remember thinking that I wished it was a higher proof.
    We set out as men of reason, armed with Navy Colts.

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

Yeah, but was I right on the 2009 releases?
    My crystal ball is out for repair and my soothsayer is on vacation...
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

Enthusiast

Handy says on its bottle that it is six years old, at least the 2008 release does. So it's really a high-octane expression of Baby Saz.

It's my favorite whiskey ever. I cannot find enough good things to say about it. Currently one bottle open (very carefully nursed) and one bunkered.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by shoshani View Post
    Handy says on its bottle that it is six years old, at least the 2008 release does. So it's really a high-octane expression of Baby Saz.

It's my favorite whiskey ever. I cannot find enough good things to say about it. Currently one bottle open (very carefully nursed) and one bunkered.
    I have the same setup one open, one bunkered -- I have to prevent myself from just gobbling this whole thing down!
    "A person can work up a mean, mean thirst after a hard day of nothing much at all . . . "

Andy

Rughi, after reading you denote two distinct iterations of the Sazerac 18, I've been scouring the forums for more information. Alas, here I am asking for you to provide some demystification to that statement. What distinguishes the 1st era from the 2nd?

Anyone else please feel free to chime in.

Incidentally, I'm pretty new around here, but not new to whiskey. I think this a great community and resource, and really appreciate the opportunity to participate. I am also involved with Anvil Bar & Refuge, opening soon in Houston. We look forward to pouring all of you a proper glass of whiskey in the near future!

Justin

Mr. Anal Retentive Bourbon Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by jburrow View Post
    Rughi, after reading you denote two distinct iterations of the Sazerac 18, I've been scouring the forums for more information. Alas, here I am asking for you to provide some demystification to that statement. What distinguishes the 1st era from the 2nd?

Anyone else please feel free to chime in. Justin
    Perhaps he is referring to the fact that the last 3 years of Sazerac 18 have been the same whiskey. This whiskey has been "tanked" - taken out of barrel and placed in stainless steel tank to stop further aging. So the 2006, 2007, & 2008 releases should all be identical in theory. This will continue to be the case until Buffalo Trace has some more Rye that has reached 18 years in age.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by jburrow View Post
    Justin
    Shortly after VW's agreement with BT, they secured stocks of rye for both the VW "13" and the Saz "18" from Medley. If you go to Steve "Fussychicken's" spreadsheet and the thread he gleaned the info from (linked in my earlier post in this thread), the changes to VW rye and Saz rye happen at the same time.

Coincidentally, the EBSG just tasted the Saz "18" series last night (except for 2007). There was some discussion on whether the profile changed more with the 2004 or the 2005 releases, but what I call the "second era" bottlings are not the same thing as the 2000-2003. The later bottlings are a bit softer, more oaky-astringent and heavy-bodied to me. Still, pretty impressively consistent through the years considering that a different whiskey was introduced midway and it's all been sitting in contact with air in stainless steel tanks for several years.

I'd be interested to see Lear or Ken chime in on this one.

Roger