Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hello from Philadelphia

Hi. I am new to bourbon. I had posted here before, but it seems to have been deleted.

I am actually a (craft) beer guy turned to (Scotch) whisky some years ago. I have only recently been getting into bourbon and other American whiskies. Unfortunately, Philly (rather PA) isn't very bourbon friendly. We did get a new whiskey bar/restaruant that caters more to the whiskies of this forum, however I can almost never get it because it is ridiculously packed.

Regardless, I can't wait to learn about bourbon.
    Last edited by bankerjoe; 04-19-2010 at 04:50.

Trippah and Admin

Re: Hello from Philadelphia

Welcome, Joe. I don't know if your intro was necessarily deleted, but it could have been lost with a days worth of postings when the site database crashed on/around March 31st.

Either way, welcome to the best bourbon site on the web. There's plenty to learn here.
    My name is Joel Goodson. I deal in human fulfillment.
    I grossed over eight thousand dollars in one night. Time of your life, huh kid?

Guru

Hey Joe! Welcome aboard and good to hear we've got another craft beer guy around. Lots of scotch lovers on the forum as well. What bourbons have you tried? Which ones do you own? Have you tried any wheaters yet? Most of all, have fun trying different whiskies and keep an open mind. Your tastes are bound to change as you explore different brands and expressions.
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Well we'll try this again then Joe Welcome aboard! Your moving up in the whiskey world . There are several members from the Pennsylvania area that have told us their/your plight. Sound like you have a nice place to go when you can get in. Do lots of reading here and become very knowledge in the ways of whiskey and they will beg you to come back . Enjoy your stay here, ask as many question as you like, post often make some new friends. Chat is Thursday and Sunday nights but is open all the time someone is in most any night. Look on the main page it says who's in chat come join us it's very informative (?) and lots of fun!
    Last edited by p_elliott; 04-19-2010 at 06:42.
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider, is chaos for the fly.

Virtuoso

I remember your initial posts, Joe. When you posted the "tapatalk" thread, I wondered why it was your first post. Scott's explanation that your posts were lost in the database crash is probably right. Lots of other extremely epic posts were lost on that sad day, so don't worry about it too much.

welcome back to the site!
    Quote Originally Posted by SMOWK View Post
    I like to save up the charred bits in the bottom of the unfiltered stuff. When I have enough, I pour milk on it and eat it.

Quote Originally Posted by unclebunk View Post
    Hey Joe!
    Actually, my name is Anthony! HA! It is a screen name that I have had forever, long story.

Quote Originally Posted by unclebunk View Post
    What bourbons have you tried? Which ones do you own? Have you tried any wheaters yet?
    I currently own: Evan Williams Single Barrel 2000 (love it), Corner Creek Reserve, Forrester Birthday from both 2008 and 2009 (neither open yet), and Bernheim Original Kentucky Straight Wheat Whiskey (I know, not a bourbon, but I love it).

I have tried: Eagle Rare, Booker's, Baker's, Maker's Mark (like a lot, if I am in the mood), Basil Hayden's, 1792 Ridgemont Reserve, Black Maple Hill, Pikeville Supreme Straight Rye, Sazerac 6 yr rye (I know the last two aren't bourbons), Bulleit, George Dickel 8 (I know, Tenn whiskey isn't bourbon), Four Roses, and Heaven Hill (regular releases for the last two).

There is probably more, but I haven't taken notes on them.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by bankerjoe View Post
    Actually, my name is Anthony! HA! It is a screen name that I have had forever, long story.

I currently own: Evan Williams Single Barrel 2000 (love it), Corner Creek Reserve, Forrester Birthday from both 2008 and 2009 (neither open yet), and Bernheim Original Kentucky Straight Wheat Whiskey (I know, not a bourbon, but I love it).

I have tried: Eagle Rare, Booker's, Baker's, Maker's Mark (like a lot, if I am in the mood), Basil Hayden's, 1792 Ridgemont Reserve, Black Maple Hill, Pikeville Supreme Straight Rye, Sazerac 6 yr rye (I know the last two aren't bourbons), Bulleit, George Dickel 8 (I know, Tenn whiskey isn't bourbon), Four Roses, and Heaven Hill (regular releases for the last two).

There is probably more, but I haven't taken notes on them.
    That's a really nice selection of stuff, Anthony. Glad to see you've branched out to the ryes and have sampled some wheaters. You may wish to try, if available to you, Old Rip Van Winkle 10/107, Old Weller Antique 7/107 and Weller 12. All are terrific and very affordable.
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Welcome from another HUGE craft beer guy!

Irreverent One

What about the "banker" part?

I ask because I need a loan to start a distillery. Low interest (1% would be great) and no payments until January 2015, because that's the soonest I'd be selling any of the whiskey.

...George Dickel 8 (I know, Tenn whiskey isn't bourbon...
    Depends on who you ask.

Anyway, welcome to the forum!
    Scott

"Remember that your sense of humor is inversely proportional to your level of intolerance."
    - Serge Storms

I really wanted to say welcome, from one Joe to another, but...... Welcome to SB Anthony. I hope you enjoy it here. Lot's of info about bourbon to learn and share. Cheers! Joe
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"