Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Disciple

Re: Greetings from Cleveland

Well that sucks Bunk! Your gonna have to bust you in-laws chops a bit on that one.

The last two bottles they sent me were:

Old Pulteney

http://www.whiskymag.com/whisky/bran...hisky1205.html

Arran

http://www.whiskymag.com/whisky/bran...hisky2306.html

The salt in the Old Pulteney really threw me off as I wasnt expecting it. I actually preferred the Arran.

I keep reading about Bunkers you guys have. Well 2 years ago we were in London for Christmas and I went down to the cellar of Harrods for a glass of wine and perused the liquor section. Talk about Bunkers ... that was a damn impressive collection they have down there.

http://www.harrods.com/HarrodsStore/...inesandspirits

Welcome DS. It's great to have you aboard. Seems like you got a lot of help so far, so I won't add much. The only thing I will say, is that you have to be a little careful around Scott. (callmeox) He can be a bad influence on your wallet if you're not paying attention
    But seriously, Scott's a good guy, and I'm sure he won't lead you too far astray. For that matter, all the people here, as a group, are great. Hope you have some fun. Enjoy. Joe

PS The wallet thing is an inside joke that I'm sure you'll hear about if you're around awhile.
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Disciple

DO you guys ever go on field trips?

I have been wanting to go to a Whisky mag gathering for some time now, just never made it. I see that the one in NY,NY this year is on a Monday.

I havent asked the wife if she would like to drive down to KY which is about 6 hours from here but I dont think she would be into it since she is a city girl.

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Welcome aboard, DS. Dang nice list you have as a starter, and I think you are really going to like the Lot B. Particularly, this year's release.
    The best, and I mean the BEST roadtrip you can take is to Bardstown, KY during Sampler in April, or the KBF in September. No matter where you're from, or what your background, the great folks in the Commonwealth will make ya'll feel most welcome. Plus, you got US!!! Always friends at the Gazebo!!
    BTW, I was born in Cleveland, but was unfamiliar with Edgewater Park. So while checking it out in my Atlas I noticed it's relatively close to "Whiskey Island" on the Lake. I had never heard of that, either. Sounds like the perfect place for you Clevelanders to get together for a get together.
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Trippah and Admin

Field trips? As Joe mentioned, there's the events in Bardstown in April and September. You should also check out the whiskey fest in Chicago in early April. Along with the official event that Malt Advocate puts on, there are other gatherings at some righteous whiskey bars and such.

For local stuff, one of my favorite haunts in Euclid holds periodic malt and general whiskey tastings. They will have a whiskeys of the world tasting on the schedule shortly.
    My name is Joel Goodson. I deal in human fulfillment.
    I grossed over eight thousand dollars in one night. Time of your life, huh kid?

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post
    Welcome aboard, DS. Dang nice list you have as a starter, and I think you are really going to like the Lot B. Particularly, this year's release.
    The best, and I mean the BEST roadtrip you can take is to Bardstown, KY during Sampler in April, or the KBF in September. No matter where you're from, or what your background, the great folks in the Commonwealth will make ya'll feel most welcome. Plus, you got US!!! Always friends at the Gazebo!!
    BTW, I was born in Cleveland, but was unfamiliar with Edgewater Park. So while checking it out in my Atlas I noticed it's relatively close to "Whiskey Island" on the Lake. I had never heard of that, either. Sounds like the perfect place for you Clevelanders to get together for a get together.
    Well my Brother in Law in Colombus and I are now planning a trip early spring to KY so the April tasting may just work. Leave the women at home and hit the bricks!

Whiskey Island is named so because bootleggers from Canada used to drop off their loads there during prohibition. At present it is a state park, bar and marina. Our family has our boat there in drydock and it's a 5 minute trip door to door for us to launch the boat and get out on the lake. It's basically where I spend a large part of my summer, well that and Indians games and porches.... drinking!

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by callmeox View Post
    Field trips? As Joe mentioned, there's the events in Bardstown in April and September. You should also check out the whiskey fest in Chicago in early April. Along with the official event that Malt Advocate puts on, there are other gatherings at some righteous whiskey bars and such.

For local stuff, one of my favorite haunts in Euclid holds periodic malt and general whiskey tastings. They will have a whiskeys of the world tasting on the schedule shortly.
    Thanks for the tip on Chicago. I thought last year Whisky mag did an event in NY,NY, Chicago and San Fran. I'll have to look that up again as I would be interested in attending that event.

What bar do you go to in Euclid?

Disciple

I unexpectedly had to go to Erie for a funeral Friday. So after I looked for a hotel I used the Penn LCB site to find a decent liquor store that was a mile down the road from the Hotel. They had the Pappy lot b for 49.99 but since I have a bottle coming via. mail I held off on that one. They also had a space for ORVW 20 for 89.99 but none were left.

Was just a small bit of the small batch bourbon on the shelves but I did leave with a bottle of Saz Rye and Weller Antique. I was disappointed they didnt have the Weller 12 but at least I left with something.

Got back home yesterday and the brother in law and I had a tasting with Saz Rye, Weller Antique and Woodford Reserve. We were blown away by the Saz and liked the Weller better than the Woodford. He had never tasted any of them before. My sister preferred the Woodford. After contrasting them I really noticed the brown sugar start to the Woodford and the sort of confectionary sugar finish.

Must say that little session there really opened my eyes and I can tell I'm going to be a hawk for the Rye. I liked the Weller Antique but am now really anxious to find out what 5 more years of aging tastes like. I'm betting it should be an enjoyable improvement!

Trippah and Admin

Quote Originally Posted by DeanSheen View Post
    Thanks for the tip on Chicago. I thought last year Whisky mag did an event in NY,NY, Chicago and San Fran. I'll have to look that up again as I would be interested in attending that event.

What bar do you go to in Euclid?
    It's called the Beach Club Bistro bcbistro.com

If you want to try some George T. Stagg, they're the only joint in Ohio to (legally) have the 2008 version behind the bar. I hooked the owner up when I made a special purchase through the Ohio DLC.
    My name is Joel Goodson. I deal in human fulfillment.
    I grossed over eight thousand dollars in one night. Time of your life, huh kid?

Disciple

Bourbon bar in Cleveland

Just found this on urban Ohio forums.

McCleveland Global Moderator

Re: Cleveland: Restaurant Openings, Closings & Relocations
    Reply #1555 on: January 21, 2009, 09:32:50 AM

So the downtown Boneyard location on Prospect & Huron has been bought. On February 20 will be the grand opening of "Forti's" (named after the new owner). All in all I think this is going to be a very positive move. Forti's tagline is "Bourbon, Beer, & Eatery". They will have 20 different types of premium bourbons on the menu. Also in addition to the 40 beers currently on tap at the boneyard they will add some "premium" beers all of which are 10% alcohol or greater. They are also going to expand their menu and be open for lunch... Seems like a pretty good deal to me.

McCleveland Global Moderator

Re: Cleveland: Restaurant Openings, Closings & Relocations
    Reply #1559 on: January 21, 2009, 11:09:23 AM

It is going to be a completely different place named Forti's. He actually purchased it awhile ago and had a certain amount of time he could operate under the boneyard name while he worked out the details. They are renovating the inside, though I'm not sure to what extent. They are keeping all 40 tap lines currently in place, and adding some additional "premium" beers. I would imagine the lunch service will start with the "grand opening" and official change over to Forti's on 2/20. But I didn't ask. you may want to call to make sure they have begun lunch service before treking over.