Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Disciple

Greetings from Cleveland

Hello all. I've come to the dark side and have been compiling starter bottle lists off the site for a few days.

My story.

Been drinking Irish whiskey, scotch and tequila for years. Every year around the holidays I get a whiskey related gift. Last year it was Michael Jacksons Whiskey book, this year it was a pair of proper Waterford crystal tumblers and a copy of Whisky mag. Also my in laws in England always send me a bottle of Scotch for Christmas.

Anyways I've always stayed away from Bourbon except for the last year when I have occasionally sampled around.

Was down in South Beach over New Years hanging out at our hotel which had no Irish whiskey and a lousy scotch collection. Id already had the only tequila I was interested in so the bartender suggested some Woodford Reserve. Ok, fine, I'll have a bourbon. Tasted it and was immediately reminded of Red Breast which I love. After I got home I researched it and found out that Woodford is a pot still like Readbreast which accounts for the similarities but it's 20 bucks a bottle cheaper which is nice.

So I ran down to the store today and grabbed a bottle of Woodford. The store I go to in Cleveland here didn't have any of the bourbons I had been reading about so I had to come home and order a couple off the net.

I am eagerly awaiting bottles of:

Van Winkle Family Reserve, 13 Years Old

http://www.whiskymag.com/whisky/bran...hisky4354.html

&

Bernheim Original Straight Wheat Whiskey

http://www.whiskymag.com/whisky/bran...hisky3121.html

Disciple

Re: Greetings from Cleveland

welcome aboard. I think WR is a fine starter bourbon. Some complain it is too one deminsional, but I think it hard to find anything objectionable in it.

I am curious what your starter (wish) list looks like now.

-bk
    Hope is subversive, for it limits the grandiose pretensions of the present by calling into existence the possibility of something better.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by kickert View Post
    welcome aboard. I think WR is a fine starter bourbon. Some complain it is too one deminsional, but I think it hard to find anything objectionable in it.

I am curious what your starter (wish) list looks like now.

-bk
    This is what I have so far with only about 8 hours or so spent on site.

~DS

Evan Williams Single Barrel Bourbon
    Fighting Cock
    WL Weller 12yo
    Old Granddad 114
    Van Winkle 107

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by DeanSheen View Post
    This is what I have so far with only about 8 hours or so spent on site.

~DS

Evan Williams Single Barrel Bourbon
    Fighting Cock
    WL Weller 12yo
    Old Granddad 114
    Van Winkle 107
    Looks like a good list. EWSB is one of my favorites coming out of HH
    FC is in your face, but in my opinion a great rye pour
    Weller 12 is my personal favorite
    OGD 114 has a strong bunch of followers
    ORVW10/107 is really good, I like the 12 Lot B better, but for a 10 yo you can't beat the character this one puts out.
    Hope is subversive, for it limits the grandiose pretensions of the present by calling into existence the possibility of something better.

Guru

Welcome aboard... lots of great juice out there you will find soon. Everman from this site is in your neck of the woods. PM him and he can give you the low down on where to get the best bourbon in Ohio...

Disciple

Thanks Kikcert.

As luck would....or wouldnt have it my internet supplier was out of the VWFR 13 which I was really looking forward to trying. My brother in law is really into Ryes as he is Canadian and I was hoping for a treat for both of us.

I attempted to substitute for ORVW 10/107 but they were out of that too so they are sending me the ORVW 12 Lot B instead. I was actually shying away from that one because I read several differing opinions on it through various threads but I guess I get to find out for myself.

Trippah and Admin

Welcome to the site from another Clevelander. What part of town are you in? I'm on the edge of the snow belt in Willowick.

Of your initial list, only the EWSB is available in Ohio.

For a list of what's available in Ohio, check out

http://www.com.ohio.gov/liqr/

Under More Services you will find a link for Spiritous Liquor Brands and Prices. The site is pretty backwards compared to other states (like PA) but it will let you know what you can ask your local state store about.

If you're looking for a good internet source, try Binny's Beverage Depot. The state has some restrictive rules and limits for importing spirits, but all of the big boys will ship here.
    My name is Joel Goodson. I deal in human fulfillment.
    I grossed over eight thousand dollars in one night. Time of your life, huh kid?

Disciple

Thanks Callmeox.

I know a bit about Ohios horrible liquor laws. I have friend that is in the wine import business who has explained some of the complexities to me. In addition to getting my hands on small vintage Itallian wines I have been able to sample some fine Grappas but I digress.

I live right by Edgewater Park which is about 3 miles to the Browns stadium via. the Shoreway.

Advanced Taster

Welcome from a fellow new member. This site is a great resource of information. You have already gotten some good advice. All you have to do here is ask. Here's a great example:
    http://www.straightbourbon.com/forum...t=11456&page=3

Woodford reserve was about the fourth bourbon I bought, after Buffalo Trace, Knob Creek, Evan Williams SB '98. I liked all those better. The WR was good, just unremarkable in my opinion.

Looking forward to your posts.
    Last edited by Blitz; 01-15-2009 at 10:59.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by DeanSheen View Post
    Hello all. I've come to the dark side and have been compiling starter bottle lists off the site for a few days.

My story.

Been drinking Irish whiskey, scotch and tequila for years. Every year around the holidays I get a whiskey related gift. Last year it was Michael Jacksons Whiskey book, this year it was a pair of proper Waterford crystal tumblers and a copy of Whisky mag. Also my in laws in England always send me a bottle of Scotch for Christmas.

Anyways I've always stayed away from Bourbon except for the last year when I have occasionally sampled around.

Was down in South Beach over New Years hanging out at our hotel which had no Irish whiskey and a lousy scotch collection. Id already had the only tequila I was interested in so the bartender suggested some Woodford Reserve. Ok, fine, I'll have a bourbon. Tasted it and was immediately reminded of Red Breast which I love. After I got home I researched it and found out that Woodford is a pot still like Readbreast which accounts for the similarities but it's 20 bucks a bottle cheaper which is nice.

So I ran down to the store today and grabbed a bottle of Woodford. The store I go to in Cleveland here didn't have any of the bourbons I had been reading about so I had to come home and order a couple off the net.

I am eagerly awaiting bottles of:

Van Winkle Family Reserve, 13 Years Old

http://www.whiskymag.com/whisky/bran...hisky4354.html

&

Bernheim Original Straight Wheat Whiskey

http://www.whiskymag.com/whisky/bran...hisky3121.html

Welcome Dean! That's a nice list for starters. You've really got to check out the Binny's Beverage Depot web site. They've got a great selection, good prices and even have a "whiskey hotline" that you can call for some excellent advice. Happy hunting!

P.S.--I've got English in-laws as well but those cheapskates have never once sent me a bottle of scotch for Christmas! What gives?