Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Novice

Greetings from MI

Hello all. I've been nosing around for a couple of weeks and have gained a lot of good information, especially the "gateway" thread. Thought I would say hi.

I'm in Grosse Pointe Michigan. Just moved here from Lansing 8 months ago and I'm still learning my way around, including the best bars/liquor stores. As far as bourbon goes? I've definately a newbie. My drinking habits are usually JD/Coke (stong on the JD), Seagrams/Sprite, vodka gimlets, beer (Killians, Lienkugals (sp), Sam Adams), or wine (chianti, California Cab, or pino noir). My only attempt at stronger bourbon drinks has been an attempt at a manhattan a couple of years ago, but I was unsure on the mix and it ended with bourbon and coke. I've also played a bit with brandy and thus far was not that much of a fan. Tried some Cutty Shark in college (11 years ago) and did not care for it.

So, I'm getting the itch to try bourbon again, this time I'll try with a bit of water or ice and I've also looked up how to make a proper old fashioned. My wife has a "girls night out" tonight, so I'm stopping at the liquor store on the way home. Planning on Makers Mark, Knob Creek, JB Black, or if they have it AVP 15. If anyone has suggestions, let em fly.

Taster

Re: Greetings from MI

Evan Williams Single Barrel and Buffalo Trace are two of the first bourbons I tried and are still favorites of mine. They shouldn't be to hard to find or too expensive.

Enthusiast

Welcome to the site. I still live in Lansing.

If you have a good store nearby, I'd second Buffalo Trace and I'd also suggest Elijah Craig 12 Year Old. Both are within 5 bucks of each other. Very different styles, but neither dissapoints.

Again, welcome!
    Jeremy
    www.awksome.com

“We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful what we pretend to be.”
    --Kurt Vonnegut

Not another one. Just kidding. Welcome to the site GP. You have a whole lot of company up there in Michigan. There are a lot of Michiganders that are members. I'm sure they'll take good care of you. Hope you have some fun here. Joe
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Advanced Taster

And the Michigan crew continues to grow! Welcome, GPRook!

I'll second all of the recommendations above, and add Weller Antique (this site's "Bourbon of the Month" for January)
    Jay

Novice

Thanks for the welcome. I got some Makers Mark last night, $26.99 for a fifth. I saw Buffalo Trace, Beam Black, Knob Creek and WT101 at the store as well. I went with MM since it is said to be a bit sweeter and smoother.

I tried a bit "neat"; not sure I'm ready for that yet. I ended up making an old fashion and enjoyed it very much the touch of sugar and orange made it much smoother for me. Next time I'll have to enjoy a cigar with it as well (though I need to find a good cigar shop on the east side).

I'll have to start exploring some of the bars to try other brands a glass at a time.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by GPRook View Post
    I got some Makers Mark last night, $26.99 for a fifth. I saw Buffalo Trace, Beam Black, Knob Creek and WT101 at the store as well. I went with MM since it is said to be a bit sweeter and smoother.

I tried a bit "neat"; not sure I'm ready for that yet.
    No shame in starting with MM. Keep about a shot from that bottle...once you get into more bourbons, you'll want to revisit MM to see what your "baseline" used to be. I enjoy it, but I enjoy many other "soft/sweet" bourbons more at 40% cheaper.
    Plus, it is still one of the more attractive packages in American Whiskey.

Try a single ice cube next time. It's my preferred way to sip at home, though I go neat when at bars (too much ice) or when drinking with board members (too much ridicule).
    Jeremy
    www.awksome.com

“We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful what we pretend to be.”
    --Kurt Vonnegut

Guru

Welcome aboard GPRook.

We gotta be pushing 20 for Michigan members now.
    ovh

Guru

Welcome aboard! If you like JD, might want to try George Dickel #12. It's also a TN Whiskey and a damn good one.

We seem to be getting a lot of Eastsiders lately. C'mon, you Oakland Co. lurkers, I know you're out there!
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Disciple

MM is great because it has nothing offensive. Just about anyone could learn to like it. As others have pointed out, many of us have found other bourbons are just as drinkable, while offering more character. After doing my first bourbon tasting of 5 or so bourbons, I was ready to go out and buy a 750 of MM. Luckily my local whiskey manager persuaded me to try something else. That propelled me into a 9 month search for affordable, easy drinking pour.

I still enjoy MM over almost every other commonly available whiskey (JB, JD, MM, etc.), but I have found even more pleasure in other pours.

Welcome aboard!!
    Hope is subversive, for it limits the grandiose pretensions of the present by calling into existence the possibility of something better.