Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Advanced Taster

New guy from Colorado!

Hello everybody!

I've been a long time lurker of these boards and finally decided to make the plunge and register. I'm a 23 year old engineer turned math teacher (in progress) who enjoys some good bourbon, football, and company.

I was introduced to bourbon by Maker's Mark (I know everyone is shocked). My default pour is Knob Creek. I tend to like the sweeter bourbons and they are also a bit easier to get my friends to try. Does anyone have any recommendations? I'm willing to drive to find a particular bourbon and I'm willing to pay for quality.

Disciple

Re: New guy from Colorado!

Quote Originally Posted by Klepackage View Post
    Hello everybody!

I've been a long time lurker of these boards and finally decided to make the plunge and register. I'm a 23 year old engineer turned math teacher (in progress) who enjoys some good bourbon, football, and company.

I was introduced to bourbon by Maker's Mark (I know everyone is shocked). My default pour is Knob Creek. I tend to like the sweeter bourbons and they are also a bit easier to get my friends to try. Does anyone have any recommendations? I'm willing to drive to find a particular bourbon and I'm willing to pay for quality.
    Welcome, man...spent some time out in CO myself a few years ago...my best friend and best man at my wedding lives in Boulder. If you can find it, try WL Weller Special Reserve -- it's half the price of Maker's and IMHO better tasting....that's a sweet one. Also try the Wild Turkey 101 -- not sweet per se....but very good and cheaper than Knob Creek.
    "A person can work up a mean, mean thirst after a hard day of nothing much at all . . . "

Andy

Welcome K. Your story sounds familiar. I started with MM, KC, and WR. I just hope you're prepared for what you're getting yourself into. There are a few members of SB out in Colorado, so you're not alone in that area of the country. I'm sure they will chime in with their welcomes, and be able to be of some help. As for recommendations, personally I like anything with Weller or Eagle Rare on it. If you do a search in the history of some of the threads, you'll find a lot of info about recommendations. There's also a ton of information that you might find interesting. The New User Guidelines could help some too. Anyway, hope you like it here and have some fun while you're at it. Most of us do. Joe
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Welcome aboard good luck on your journey you might try RR1792 for light sweet bourbon and WTRB now it's going to have a kick at 108.8 proof but I always thought it had a sweet side to it. Everyone says the wheaters are sweet that would be your Weller's. Any way good luck post often and have fun don't be afraid to ask questions someone will have an answer.Oh and enhance you your drinking experience with some nice whiskey glasses either the Rideil whiskey glass or the glencairn glass.
    Last edited by p_elliott; 01-20-2009 at 06:50.

Disciple

Welcome aboard. If you can get it, go get yourself some George T Stagg. Be prepared for its barrel proof, but I can think of no other bourbon that will make you reevaluate everything you know. It is simply incredible.

I have often shared my love of Weller 12. If you want to pay the extra, Van Winkle Lot B is also nice. I also like Elmer T Lee.

I find Buffalo Trace bourbons tend to fall on the sweeter side (even their non wheat bourbons).

Again, welcome and feel free to keep asking questions, that is how we learn.
    Hope is subversive, for it limits the grandiose pretensions of the present by calling into existence the possibility of something better.

Advanced Taster

Welcome.

My bourbon journey started with Maker's and Knob Creek as well, and then moved on to Evan Williams Single Barrel and Van Winkle Lot B. Those might be worth seeking out, along with Elmer T. Lee (as mentioned above)--ETL definitely fits the sweet bourbon description.

You won't have to drive very far for the good stuff--I think DaveCo liquors is your best bet for bourbon selection, but Superior Liquor and Total Beverage are also good and a short trip away.
    Traver

"If you fear I'll lose my spirit/Like a drunkard's wasted wine/Don't you even think about it/I'm feeling fine."--13th Floor Elevators

Advanced Taster

I picked up some Elmer T Lee last night and I really enjoy it. It has the sweetness that I was looking for and the burn is quite mild compared to my current stock.

As a long time lurker, Van Winkle Lot B seems to be universally loved on these boards. George T Stagg seems to fall under the same praise. Unfortunately I have yet to see these at any store in Colorado.

I was looking online for some of the Riedel glasses. Those can get quite pricey!

Disciple

I was looking online for some of the Riedel glasses. Those can get quite pricey!
    Most people prefer the Glencairn glass. It was specifically designed whiskey drinking. I have two and I love them!!

-bk
    Hope is subversive, for it limits the grandiose pretensions of the present by calling into existence the possibility of something better.

[quoteI was looking online for some of the Riedel glasses. Those can get quite pricey![/quote]

Go to the Knob Creek web site the still house the sites store has Riedel glasses at the best price I've found. Now they have printing in the base but you don't notice it unless your looking for it.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by kickert View Post
    Most people prefer the Glencairn glass. It was specifically designed whiskey drinking. I have two and I love them!!

-bk
    I have both the crystal and glass glencairns (both the same shape) and they both have there place.

I tend to put the 12/13 yr and younger new bourbons in the Crystal and the 15yr and older in the crystal.

I put all of my older bourbons in the glass (older being bottled prior to 95).

The crystal helps the bourbons open up faster on younger bourbons and tends to make the older bourbons show their oak faster...

buy a few stules of glasses:
    1. Glencairn Crystal
    2. Glencairn Glass
    3. Reidel Crystyal
    4. Rocks
    5. Sifter
    6. etc

and play with them. I usually try my bourbons in the Glencairns and Reidel to find which gives the bourbon its best showing...

... and the Glencairn look really cool