I picked up a pint for about $7.00 in Las Vegas recently, in the atmospheric hotel which is part of the Main Street Station complex.
I bought one some years ago which seemed thin and uninteresting but this current one is much better.
It has a strong scent and taste of straight rye, rye which is not too old, perhaps 3-4 years old but maybe more.
That is the first taste that hits the palate and it is unmistakeable, I recognise it not so much from the straight element of most Canadian whisky but from Forty Creek's artisanal whiskies which include a similar top-note.
The middle of the palate is cocoa-like and sweetish, perhaps from some bourbon in there, and/or maybe some caramel. The finish is where the neutral spirits show up and it comes as a kind of refreshing surge on the palate.
The label states 66% neutral spirits (or perhaps "grain spirits", I'll check soon again), but it did not say what the remaining 34% is! Older bottles would state straight whiskeys, this current label does not say!
This drink has a good, strong taste, is balanced and has a round soft mouthfeel. It is an excellent American whisky and in my opinion offers more true whisky taste than most Canadian whiskies on the market. It is also better ounce for ounce than some drinks that state bourbon or rye on the label.
People who like rye should try it, its palate is very influenced by rye whiskey and surely it represents a historical whiskey type which is falling (comparatively) out of favor, i.e., American whiskey which is of course a blended whiskey. If you added some Templeton rye to it it might be even better but it is very good as is. Except for the best of the Barton line in American whiskey, I'd say this is the best in that category I've had. I can see why Jim Murray rates it very high but that is just additional comfort, not validation. (I disagree with some of his judgements but not this one).
Incidentally this current sample is quite similar to a jug of the same brand from 1980 in a cousin's condo in Florida that I get to taste once in a while.