Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Disciple

Exploration Burnout

It has been an incredible 9 months of bourbon exploration. In less than a year I have been able to try 63 different whiskies!

Many of those were single drinks, smaller bottles, shared bottles or similar experiences. When buying a 750 or larger, I have never purchased the same bottle twice (except for Benchmark b/c it is so freakin cheap and mixes well). But, I gotta say, I am getting burned out. Not on trying new bourbons - far from that, but on purchasing new bottles. I feel like I have a pretty good grasp on what I like and what I don't like. While experiencing something new is great, I have forgone some great bourbons in favor of mediocre ones just because I had not had them. As I have tried most bourbons in the $20-40 range, most of what is left is either expensive (and not worth risking high dollar on something I may not like) or bottom shelf (and I don't need anymore mediocre bourbon taking up my shelf space.)

From here on out, I make the following vow. I will not purchase an untried 750 or larger bottle of bourbon unless:
    • It is currently out of production, -or-
    • It is less than 66% of regular cost, -or-
    • It is the only thing available.
    At this point I look forwarding to spending my bourbon money on bottles I know I like. It is time to revisit Rittenhouse BIB and buy that handle of Weller 12 I have been eying!!

So what about the rest of you. Have you had similar experiances?
    Hope is subversive, for it limits the grandiose pretensions of the present by calling into existence the possibility of something better.

Trippah and Admin

Re: Exploration Burnout

Quote Originally Posted by kickert View Post
    So what about the rest of you. Have you had similar experiances?
    Nope.

padpadpadpadpadpadpadpadpadpadpadpadpadpadpad
    My name is Joel Goodson. I deal in human fulfillment.
    I grossed over eight thousand dollars in one night. Time of your life, huh kid?

Disciple

I never get tired of looking for new bottles, I just find them less frequently now that I own most of the ones that I want. I still get a kick out of hunting down the occassional dusty. Living in Ohio, I could have given up long ago based on the dismal selection we have to choose from here!

Thomas

I have 3 regular purchases when I buy here in town. When I get to Maryville I will usually either pick up a purchase of a favorite or look for something I haven't had before or combination of both. I make the occasional internet purchase of something that I just can't get around here, never had and Curiosity has just gotten the better of me.

Guru

yes and no... I am down to buying bourbon from known good producers...

I think I have had aroudn 350-400 diffrent labels or labes from diffrent times (more than that if you cound diffrent bottles).

What I learned at about yout point was, to skip certain bottes adn use others ratings/tastes and judge if I wanted to buy it or not....

by the way, after that point, I have bought far more bottles...

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by kickert View Post
    Have you had similar experiances?
    Yes, but no. Making rules for myslef that include percentanges and such are beyond me.

Disciple

A couple additional thoughts.

First, I have a bourbon budget of about $20-30 a month and my bar does not have many offerings (and many of them are near empty). So using my budget to buy a bottle I may not like just because it is new doesn't make sense any more. I have a pretty good idea of what I like and what I don't like. Basically I am planning on spending my budget on things I know I like while continuing to sample new offerings.

As for the percentage things... You don't have to worry about me pulling out my calculator to make sure it fits in under 66%. Instead, if I find a bottle that is normally $30 and is on sale for $20, I cannot pass that up and am willing to take a chance.
    Hope is subversive, for it limits the grandiose pretensions of the present by calling into existence the possibility of something better.

Enthusiast

kickert,

You are way more organized than I am. I enjoy the hunt perhaps as much as the drink if not more. To that end I have been involved in the hunt about as long as you have if not a bit more and am far from tired of it. I cannot argue with your logic; it is sound. I just like to explore wide and far. The wanderlust has combined with Bourbonlust and taken me to areas of this town that I would scarcely have entered without arms on myself as I felt the imminent possibility of the need to repel boarders at any moment. At the same time I have found some amazing bargains among the rich and famous settlements. It is a funny old world and sometimes I just like to look around. Bourbon gives me a good reason to do so.

Enthusiast

I am surrounded by Control states so I only get to explore when I leave the northwest.

I am not limited by a budget per se, but I am limited when the wife tells me to slow down

I say this with only four months of hunting and I am sure it will change, however nothing is better than spending an afternoon combing though liquor stores looking for a dusty or something that I can't find in Washington. Sometimes it doesn't cost a thing and other times
    Jason
    "The man who smiles when things go wrong has thought of someone to blame it on"

2010 Fantasy Football Champion

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by GOCOUGS2002 View Post
    I say this with only four months of hunting and I am sure it will change, however nothing is better than spending an afternoon combing though liquor stores looking for a dusty or something that I can't find in Washington. Sometimes it doesn't cost a thing and other times
    I still do this looking for dusties... but as for in production stuff... I can get most anything here in the bluegrass.