Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Taster

Re: Can WT101 go stale?

Good riposte, kickert. That shit is vile.

What puzzles me though, is that WT is not even a top shelf, premium order at this bar....and I'm quite sure anyone who would order it would be a bourbon drinker, as a typical whiskey/coke drinker would usually order Jack or JBwhite, the cheapest pours for mixing...so cutting it wouldn't really make sense from the bar's perspective. That is why I was curious if anyone here has heard of or experienced a whiskey going "stale."

I was thinking that it is so rarely ordered, and has been sitting on the bar with an open top for a long period of time, that perhaps it may have altered the taste of it. It wasn't 'terrible' but it certainly didn't have that definitive taste of WT101.

Ever since I bought a bottle of it after reading this forum memebers outstanding reviews of it, I've been on a WT101 kick as of late. I have a glass or three at least 3 times a week now... So I'm absolutely certain that I could recognize WT101 in a blind taste-testing. What I had at the bar was similar...but just not quite right.

I'm now thinking that maybe they just cut it with some WT80...
    I'm not as think as you drunk I am...

Disciple

Often if a bourbon oxidizes from being open too long it will look cloudy - almost like apple cider. Did you notice anything like that?
    Hope is subversive, for it limits the grandiose pretensions of the present by calling into existence the possibility of something better.

Taster

I don't think so. Upon my first taste, I immediately recognized something wasn't right, and I looked at it...and it looked normal.

Taster

Could it possibly "start" to oxidize without looking cloudy at first? Perhaps if it sat for awhile longer with the open top it's on the verge of turning cloudy?

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Waiahi View Post
    ...I went to Ireland and visited the Guinness storehouse in Dublin. Guinness sure tastes better off the tap there than it does in the bottle!

I was also able to bring back a six pack of "Guinness Export" which has an 8.5% alcohol content...the highest that Guinness makes - but they only sell it to the UK, EU and Africa.

I wish I could get some more of that here in the US...
    i thought the Guinness tasted better because i was ireland! but it's true, it tasted SO good there....of course, being there was magical so i thought it was just the ambience and charm...it still tastes great here, but nice to know others noticed. of course, i enjoyed the free one i had up on the top floor of the brewery!
    HUP!