Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Advanced Taster

Paper or Plastic?

Seems to be a common question at the local grocery store. I am asking, glass or plastic? Does anyone ever find a good bourbon in a plastic bottle? I was shopping yesterday and was considering picking up some Ancient Age 80 (not the AAA I am really wanting to try) and it was in a plastic bottle. That got me thinking. I started looking around for other plastic bottles. Only found a couple more, Old Heaven Hill BIB, Ezra Brooks, and a couple more I cannot remember. I do remember a year or so ago I picked up some EW BIB in a 1.75 plastic bottle. I had picked up a little glass bottle previously and really liked it. I cracked open the plastic bottle and was very disappointed. Maybe it was just a bad bottle but it has forever turned me against buying another plastic bottle. I had to pass on the AA and I picked up a bottle (glass) of EC12 that I have never tried and a bottle (also glass) of FC that I have not had in a while. Looking forward to the EC12!!
    Rye, The Spice Of Life.

Re: Paper or Plastic?

I have never ran across a bourbon in plastic bottle but pop has never tasted the same since they went from glass to plastic bottles.

Virtuoso

I enjoy Benchmark and it often comes from a plastic container. It isn't going to win any awards, but it is not swill and I would be glad to find it in my glass.
    Hope is subversive, for it limits the grandiose pretensions of the present by calling into existence the possibility of something better.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by kickert View Post
    I enjoy Benchmark and it often comes from a plastic container. It isn't going to win any awards, but it is not swill and I would be glad to find it in my glass.

I cannot recall ever seeing Benchmark in my area. Have you tried it from a glass bottle? If so, can you tell a difference? I have noticed that the plastic bottles I run across are the 1.75 size. They usually offer the 5th or liter in glass. This is what I experienced with the EW BIB anyway. Loved the glass, wish I never bought the plastic.
    Rye, The Spice Of Life.

Advanced Taster

Benchmark isn't going to win any awards.
    You spoke too soon, check out the link....
    http://www.whiskymerchants.co.uk/#/btlimited/4522112792

And now I want some......
    Rye, The Spice Of Life.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by sotnsipper View Post
    You spoke too soon, check out the link....
    http://www.whiskymerchants.co.uk/#/btlimited/4522112792

And now I want some......
    I believe that is a bit misleading. IIRC that award came when Benchmark was still 8 years old before it went NAS.
    Hope is subversive, for it limits the grandiose pretensions of the present by calling into existence the possibility of something better.

Advanced Taster

I believe that is a bit misleading.

It was a joke......
    Rye, The Spice Of Life.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by sotnsipper View Post
    It was a joke......
    I am a bit slow on the uptake...

I will unashamedly endorse Benchmark. For me, it is the best under $15 80 proof bourbon.

Advanced Taster

I will unashamedly endorse Benchmark. For me, it is the best under $15 80 proof bourbon.

I will definitely have to find some in my area, if it is available. EW black label is usually my inexpensive pour. I am always looking for new stuff to try! Thanks for the suggestion.
    Rye, The Spice Of Life.

Virtuoso

I've seen WT101 in plastic bottles. I think they call it a the "Traveler" bottle or something like that.

Polyethylene terephthalate (PET) isn't likely to affect the flavor on the contained liquid. It differs from glass in three ways that are likely to affect the contents: as barturtle mentioned, it isn't as good a UV filter; it isn't as good an insulator; and it is more gas-permeable. It would probably take a good bit of time for any of these to affect the whiskey inside.

As far as Coke with sugar goes, we are approaching Passover, when kosher Coke is available. It's made with cane sugar. Look for the little K-in-a-circle mark.

My brother says he prefers Coke with HFCS, but he works on the corner of North and Luckie, so I don't take him too seriously.