Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Advanced Taster

Paper or Plastic?

Seems to be a common question at the local grocery store. I am asking, glass or plastic? Does anyone ever find a good bourbon in a plastic bottle? I was shopping yesterday and was considering picking up some Ancient Age 80 (not the AAA I am really wanting to try) and it was in a plastic bottle. That got me thinking. I started looking around for other plastic bottles. Only found a couple more, Old Heaven Hill BIB, Ezra Brooks, and a couple more I cannot remember. I do remember a year or so ago I picked up some EW BIB in a 1.75 plastic bottle. I had picked up a little glass bottle previously and really liked it. I cracked open the plastic bottle and was very disappointed. Maybe it was just a bad bottle but it has forever turned me against buying another plastic bottle. I had to pass on the AA and I picked up a bottle (glass) of EC12 that I have never tried and a bottle (also glass) of FC that I have not had in a while. Looking forward to the EC12!!
    Rye, The Spice Of Life.

Re: Paper or Plastic?

I have never ran across a bourbon in plastic bottle but pop has never tasted the same since they went from glass to plastic bottles.

Disciple

I enjoy Benchmark and it often comes from a plastic container. It isn't going to win any awards, but it is not swill and I would be glad to find it in my glass.
    Hope is subversive, for it limits the grandiose pretensions of the present by calling into existence the possibility of something better.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by kickert View Post
    I enjoy Benchmark and it often comes from a plastic container. It isn't going to win any awards, but it is not swill and I would be glad to find it in my glass.

I cannot recall ever seeing Benchmark in my area. Have you tried it from a glass bottle? If so, can you tell a difference? I have noticed that the plastic bottles I run across are the 1.75 size. They usually offer the 5th or liter in glass. This is what I experienced with the EW BIB anyway. Loved the glass, wish I never bought the plastic.
    Rye, The Spice Of Life.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by p_elliott View Post
    I have never ran across a bourbon in plastic bottle but pop has never tasted the same since they went from glass to plastic bottles.

They are usually on the bottom shelf around here (TN). I know what you are saying about the "pop" (we call everything coke around here). There is nothing like an old glass bottle. I think Coke still puts out the glass bottles from time to time, usually around Christmas time here.
    Rye, The Spice Of Life.

I would offer up that the reason why Coke tastes different from the plastic versus the glass is that the glass ones coontain Coke that is made with good old fashioned sugar instead of high fructose corn syrup.

To the original question I have not had any bourbon from a pastic bottle though I have had whiskey in plastic. I wouldn't say I was a fan but it was also bottom of the barrell stuff that was more of a complaint agaiinst the whiskey itself and not the bottle it came in.

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by shannichols View Post
    I would offer up that the reason why Coke tastes different from the plastic versus the glass is that the glass ones coontain Coke that is made with good old fashioned sugar instead of high fructose corn syrup.

To the original question I have not had any bourbon from a pastic bottle though I have had whiskey in plastic. I wouldn't say I was a fan but it was also bottom of the barrell stuff that was more of a complaint agaiinst the whiskey itself and not the bottle it came in.
    Going off topic a bit, but: In many areas (the South for sure) during the holidays Coke puts out little 7-9oz glass bottles, these are the same HFCS crap as the stuff in cans and plastic bottles. For real sugar, look to stuff made outside the USA; Mexico, Europe for sure still use sugar.

As far as bourbon goes, plastic is a problem. Part of it is that most distillers only put the lowest end stuff in it, the other part is that some types of plastic allow light to pass even better than glass, thus letting more light in to help alter the contents of the bottle.
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

Advanced Taster

Benchmark isn't going to win any awards.
    You spoke too soon, check out the link....
    http://www.whiskymerchants.co.uk/#/btlimited/4522112792

And now I want some......
    Rye, The Spice Of Life.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by sotnsipper View Post
    You spoke too soon, check out the link....
    http://www.whiskymerchants.co.uk/#/btlimited/4522112792

And now I want some......
    I believe that is a bit misleading. IIRC that award came when Benchmark was still 8 years old before it went NAS.
    Hope is subversive, for it limits the grandiose pretensions of the present by calling into existence the possibility of something better.

Advanced Taster

I believe that is a bit misleading.

It was a joke......
    Rye, The Spice Of Life.