Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Advanced Taster

Re: Paper or Plastic?

Quote Originally Posted by barturtle View Post
    As far as bourbon goes, plastic is a problem. Part of it is that most distillers only put the lowest end stuff in it, the other part is that some types of plastic allow light to pass even better than glass, thus letting more light in to help alter the contents of the bottle.

That was another thought I had, the plastic bottles were left for the bottom of the barrel stuff(no pun intended). This is not to say that bad bourbon can not be put in a glass bottle either, but that is a whole other thread.....Like I said, the EW BIB I tried from the glass bottle was wonderful. It is hard to find around here so the next time I saw it, I got the big bottle, plastic. Never again.
    Rye, The Spice Of Life.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by sotnsipper View Post
    It was a joke......
    I am a bit slow on the uptake...

I will unashamedly endorse Benchmark. For me, it is the best under $15 80 proof bourbon.
    Hope is subversive, for it limits the grandiose pretensions of the present by calling into existence the possibility of something better.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by kickert View Post
    I will unashamedly endorse Benchmark. For me, it is the best under $15 80 proof bourbon.

I will definitely have to find some in my area, if it is available. EW black label is usually my inexpensive pour. I am always looking for new stuff to try! Thanks for the suggestion.
    Rye, The Spice Of Life.

Virtuoso

I've seen WT101 in plastic bottles. I think they call it a the "Traveler" bottle or something like that.

Polyethylene terephthalate (PET) isn't likely to affect the flavor on the contained liquid. It differs from glass in three ways that are likely to affect the contents: as barturtle mentioned, it isn't as good a UV filter; it isn't as good an insulator; and it is more gas-permeable. It would probably take a good bit of time for any of these to affect the whiskey inside.

As far as Coke with sugar goes, we are approaching Passover, when kosher Coke is available. It's made with cane sugar. Look for the little K-in-a-circle mark.

My brother says he prefers Coke with HFCS, but he works on the corner of North and Luckie, so I don't take him too seriously.

Virtuoso

We go to the hispanic district of Bowling Green just to get the Mexican produced CocaCola with real sugar.
    Hope is subversive, for it limits the grandiose pretensions of the present by calling into existence the possibility of something better.

Apprentice

Handles of AAA 10yo come in plastic. I certainly would not call them bottom shelf and would not hesitate to buy them. Cost wise they are certainly more expensive than many things that are in glass. Last time I was in Ky. visiting I picked up some on sale at Rite-Aid. But that 1.75 liter bottle is a little large for regular use so I decant it into another smaller bottle.

Basically I don't have a problem with plastic. I don't think I am fond of it for long term storage but I think it should be ok with some extra care. I have seen some plastic bottles containing vodka that were in storage for around 15-20 years from a liquor store that closed and were used to stock a new store the owner opened later. It appeared the heat cycles from the storage locker did a number on them. The bottles were distinctly mishaped. Those heat cycles did not appear to do any damage to the vintage OGD114 and WT 8yo's I got there and shared with my East Bay Study Group buddies. They tasted mighty fine when we tried them in our WT and OGD sessions.

Ken

Connoisseur

Years ago I bought a 1.75 litre bottle of Old Crow in a plastic but that was just because it was so cheap. It's the only time I bought something in plastic and also the only time I bought Old Crow so I don't know if it tasted different but I don't really intend to buy anything else in plastic that I can get in glass. It's just unappealing to see liquor in a plastic bottle, probably because I associate the plastic bottle with all the cheap handles of vodka we drank back in college.
    I'm pretty sure that you can get Old Forrester and, possibly, Jim Beam in plastic; thats all I've ever seen or heard of aside from those already mentioned.
    /\../\

"I've had eighteen straight whiskies, I think that's the record . . ." - Dylan Thomas

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by gothbat View Post
    It's just unappealing to see liquor in a plastic bottle, probably because I associate the plastic bottle with all the cheap handles of vodka we drank back in college.

Reason #2 why I stay away from plastics. Plastic = cheap(usually)
    Rye, The Spice Of Life.

Advanced Taster

I am NOT a top shelf drinker. There are prices that I simply will not pay for bourbon, remarkable as some of it might be, and much as it may be worth the higher price. I have other priorities. Bulleit or EC 12 or Weller Antique or OGD 114 are my idea of splurging on good bourbon, as opposed to buying Old Forester or Fighting Cock or Very Old Barton BIB, which I also enjoy when I'm feeling cheap.

That said, I have made it a rule never to buy bourbon in a plastic bottle. Period. I won't do it.
    "Finish your bourbon. There are sober children in India." -- Your Mom

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by craigthom View Post
    As far as Coke with sugar goes, we are approaching Passover, when kosher Coke is available. It's made with cane sugar. Look for the little K-in-a-circle mark.
    Off Topic, but thanks for the tip, I'll look for it. I've always enjoyed the taste of a real coke (sugar not HFCS) when in Mexico, however the last time I was there the can said HFCS.

Jim