Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Disciple

Distillery Glencairn

I am a huge fan of my glencairn whiskey glasses. Picked up my first one during my Buffalo Trace tour and my second one at the Bourbon Heritage Center. Both are branded by the specific distillery. I have found these to be excellent choices for tasting bourbon and they both were very reasonably priced when picked up at the distilleries. Plus both HH and BT offer multiple offerings based on their differenat labels. I love the differant logos because it makes my personal taste tests easier because I can remember which is which. (I put the one I expect to be best in the BT glass because I am a huge BT fan).

2 questions:

Do others enjoy their pours out of Distillery specific Glencairn glasses, or do you prefer the clear glasses?

Do other distilleries besides HH and BT offer brand specific Glencairn glasses?
    Hope is subversive, for it limits the grandiose pretensions of the present by calling into existence the possibility of something better.

Enthusiast

Re: Distillery Glencairn

Quote Originally Posted by kickert View Post
    Do others enjoy their pours out of Distillery specific Glencairn glasses, or do you prefer the clear glasses?
    I like to drink Bourbon, personally it doesn't matter if there is a label on a glass or not. I do use them when I have others over for glass identification.

Do other distilleries besides HH and BT offer brand specific Glencairn glasses?
    Most of the distillery websites have Glencairns for sale, most of which only cover their signature brands.
    Jason
    "The man who smiles when things go wrong has thought of someone to blame it on"

2010 Fantasy Football Champion

The thing that impresses me most about Glencairn (outside of the glass design itself) is that they hand-etch all smaller orders. A good match for the craft in the whiskey you're enjoying.

-A
    Last edited by Andrew; 01-23-2009 at 16:28.
    Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. -HL Mencken

Corsair Distillery KY

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by GOCOUGS2002 View Post
    Most of the distillery websites have Glencairns for sale, most of which only cover their signature brands.
    I have only been able to find them from HH and BT. Do you know of others in particular.
    Hope is subversive, for it limits the grandiose pretensions of the present by calling into existence the possibility of something better.

Guru

Old Rip Van Winkle
    Old Forester
    and a ton of Scotches.

There are two versions. The crystal version, usually found clean, but the Old Forester is crystal, and the glass version, usually have a logos.

You can tell the difference by the sharpness at the lip. The round lip is glass, the squar lip is crystal.

For me... I woudl prefer that they were all labelless, but I never found glass ones without labels. All but 2 of the crystal have no labels for me.

Like Em, I have an Old Forester and Old Rip Van Winkle. The Old Forester is from the repeal gift set, and it is crystal. Whenever I try a new bourbon, I use one of my Glencairns. If I'm having a small pour, be it straight up, or with ice and/or water, I use one of my Four Roses tasting glasses. If I'm having a larger pour, or having a bourbon with Coke/pop, I have a rocks glass that's dimpled on the sides. The dimples help it fit perfect in my hand. If I'm having a McDonald's super sized pour, well, I have a great big iced tea tumbler. Cheers! Joe
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by spun_cookie View Post

There are two versions. The crystal version, usually found clean, but the Old Forester is crystal, and the glass version, usually have a logos.

You can tell the difference by the sharpness at the lip. The round lip is glass, the squar lip is crystal.
    Very interesting, thanks for that info. I've got a few of the glass Glencairns from the HH tour a few years back. They're not my favorite glasses, but once in awhile I just have to have a pour in one when it feels right.

I've given a few of these away, and the two that remain are etched with Evan Williams and Elijah Craig logos. Nice to use the logos to differentiate between whiskies when I'm comparing with friends.

Cheers!

Apprentice

Some of the Glencairn glasses, if they are older, can be leaded-crystal.
    They went to lead-free a few months ago.
    If etched, they aren't necessarily glass. I emailed the distillary and the Van Winkle etched Glencairns are the older leaded-crystal.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin_AZ View Post
    Some of the Glencairn glasses, if they are older, can be leaded-crystal.
    They went to lead-free a few months ago.
    If etched, they aren't necessarily glass. I emailed the distillary and the Van Winkle etched Glencairns are the older leaded-crystal.
    Really... I have a few of those. I think 3 of the Old Rip Van Winkles, but they do not look like crystal. They have the rounded glass style lip... ... thanks for the info.

And Merlin, we need to get together for drinks... you can sample though my glencairns with any bourbon you choose...

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

I was just doing research on these for my Examiner column and learned that Glencairn Crystal specializes in engraved glassware. They're essentially a high-end advertising specialties company more than a glassware company. They just happened to get lucky with this particular design.