Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Advanced Taster

Re: Distillery Glencairn

Quote Originally Posted by spun_cookie View Post
    The are both crystal.

I am not going to tell you it always makes a diff. In truth, most the time there is not, but when there is, you can usually really tell.

What I recommend is when you find a bourbon that is just not right for you, try the glass or crystal with it to see if it changes. If it does, great you will be happy, if not, no loss.

I did a side by side with my Riedel, Glencairn, and a rocks glass with some VOB BIB I have had difficulty getting through. I did notice with the first two, the bourbon did not have the taste I could not get through with the rocks glass. I tried this several times through the night and every time I had the same results. I will defenately stick to the crystal while drinking this one from now on. Thanks for the suggestion!
    Rye, The Spice Of Life.

Virtuoso

I found a crystal cognac glass tonight that I had forgotten about and will give it a try alongside a similar vessel made of glass tomorrow. Problem is, I don't have another glass that's exactly the same shape. This glass is a narrow wine glass shape, not a big, bulbous snifter. I may be able to find one close enough to do a pinhead comparison.

Actually, it may not be too much different in overall dimensions from the Glencairn. Hmmm...

I paid out the wazoo for the glass and don't use it much any more, as I prefer non-stemmed glasses. It is a very nice glass, though, so who knows, maybe I'll start using it again.

Interesting, fun topic.

Cheers!
    Last edited by Luna56; 02-11-2009 at 22:59.

Novice

Here's a link to the wikipedia page about the Glencairn glass:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glencairn_Whisky_Glass

Connoisseur

I don't know why I didn't see this thread sooner. I checked and all of mine are glass. The one thing no one mentioned are the lids. I've never seen them in the US, but all Scottish glasses come with a lid. I was fortunate in that the bar manager at Ardbeg gave me a box of lids that people didn't want. I probably break about 10 lids for every glass I break. The lids make all the difference in the world in the taste of the whisk(e)y. It makes sense. Taste is a large part aroma. The lid really holds the aroma in the glass. If you don't believe me, cover your glass with a clean coaster and swirl it lightly just before drinking. Hold the glass in one hand until you get it near your face while holding the lid down. Then remove the lid with the other hand. The nose jumps at you. The difference in taste is amazing. At the gazebo I don't use lids, because as I said, I break them too easily, however a coaster in my back pocket works well when trying a premium.

EM, I'm with Joe in that I don't see how clean glass would be different than clean crystal. Next time I'm in AZ I'll contact you and let you give me a lesson. I never use soap on my glasses. Just rinse them well in hot water and dry them with a clean paper towel.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Stu View Post
    Next time I'm in AZ I'll contact you and let you give me a lesson.
    Well, one of us will get some learning ... anytime... I have plenty of juice to educate ourselves on

Virtuoso

I finally got around to comparing my crystal cognac glass with a Glencairn and didn't notice any difference in the flavor (ERSB10). I'll try it again with another bourbon soon.

One thing I noticed about the crystal glass is that it really held the legs forever. Nice effect.

Cheers!

Stopped at an estate sale in the neighborhood today. Found two Glencairn glasses. Got them for $1 apiece. Actually $0.70. Everything was 30% off. No inscriptions or anything but real Glencairns. Now I have backups. Joe
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Disciple

I bought my first Glencairn yesterday . . . it's crystal which is nice. So far, I prefer my extra large snifter to it - - the snifter seems to deliver a mellower flavor/nose. I'll have to do some more research and get back to you guys, though.
    "A person can work up a mean, mean thirst after a hard day of nothing much at all . . . "

Andy

Virtuoso

Where'd you get a crystal Glencairn, Andy?

Cheers!

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Luna56 View Post
    Where'd you get a crystal Glencairn, Andy?

Cheers!
    At Kappy's in Peabody, MA -- right across the street from the North Shore Mall -- $7.99.
    "A person can work up a mean, mean thirst after a hard day of nothing much at all . . . "

Andy