Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
    Connoisseur

Midleton Very Rare

Ive had my bottle of Midleton VR for awhile now. Ive probably sampled it 10 times in the last 1-1.5 years. The nice thing is I like it more and more each time I sample it. The last time, which was last week, I got the most enjoyment from it possibly since I paired it with a Partagas Black and a Fuente short story. Not sure if it was the smokes that made it better, but it was very enjoyable and a great change of pace from scotches and bourbon.

Connoisseur

Re: Midleton Very Rare

I used to like this a lot but haven't had any in quite some time. I have an unopened bottle at home, from a few years ago, and have been thinking about popping it. Maybe I'll give it a shot this weekend.
    Tim

I am going where streams of whiskey are flowing...

Connoisseur

The first 2 times I remember it distinctly and didn't love it due to the lack of peat and overabundance of grassiness. Maybe over time my palate and tastes have evolved to being accustomed to the grassiness (I assme due to the unmalted barley used) and having picked up the other nuances? Not really sure, but I like it now.

Connoisseur

I never expected any peat out of this, I don't think there is ever any peat in a Midleton distilled product. Have you ever tasted this before? The only Irish I get peat out of is Connemara, for obvious reasons!
    Tim

I am going where streams of whiskey are flowing...

Connoisseur

I am aware there is no peat, but its something I got accustomed to when drinking smsw. So the absence of it made me not like it initially, but it has grown on me.