Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Guru

Re: Rebel Yell Reserve

Quote Originally Posted by Kendall View Post
    I purchased a bottle for $20.00. I have tried, but was not impressed, and would not recommend.
    Quote Originally Posted by sho4go View Post
    I bought a bottle of the Rebel Reserve to give it a shot. My impressions are as follows:

On first sip, a little harsh, not as smooth as you might expect of a wheated bourbon, but the extra proof is evident over the standard RY offering. I poured this product over ice made with filtered water with a splash of same. As the ice melted the bourbon become easier to drink, it is still a bit on the young side, but should be judged on its own merit, not neccesarily compared to either its lower proof sibling or its higher priced competitors, at least until you've given it a chance. It certainly won't replace Weller 12 YO as my favorite, but since there isn't any of that around, I guess I'm free to check out the remainder of the field.
    I agree sho. I like it.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Mr. Anal Retentive Bourbon Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by sho4go View Post
    My first time to post here.
    Welcome to the board. I noticed your register date is about 3 years ago and this is your first post. Great to see lurkers become posters; I promise most of us do not bite.

Are you sill in liquor business? I take it you either worked for Glaziers or Republic.

Weller 12 is still easy to find in Houston. There was a shortage last year, but I have not seen it missing from any shelves in a while.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by wadewood View Post
    Welcome to the board. I noticed your register date is about 3 years ago and this is your first post. Great to see lurkers become posters; I promise most of us do not bite.

Are you sill in liquor business? I take it you either worked for Glaziers or Republic.

Weller 12 is still easy to find in Houston. There was a shortage last year, but I have not seen it missing from any shelves in a while.
    Weller 12 has not been produced for some months but there is still some in the distribution pipeline. It's been gone here in Northern KY for about 7-8 months.

When I inquired recently, BT said Weller 12 would be back "this fall" but that distribution would be limited to a few states.
    John B

"Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons… that is all there is to distinguish us from other animals."

Virtuoso

I've had the Rebel Reserve and I can attest that it tastes is almost identical to the Weller SR. At $5 more per bottle I don't find it a reasonable deal.
    Whisk(e)y - a bargain at any price !!!

Don't know how I've missed this thread till now, but anyway:
    • Interesting that some compare Rebel Yell Reserve to Weller S.R. Standard RY is made by HH for Luxco/erstwhile-David Sherman, while the Wellers, these days, are BT product;
    • as noted here ad infinitum, Weller S.R. was my earliest "favorite" (albeit, Louisville/S-W versions);
    • I've recently noticed Rebel Yell Reserve on the shelf of at least one local liquor store;
    • I guess I'll have to pick one up, though I'd still lean toward a Weller if the price is noticeably lower.

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by JamesW View Post
    I've had the Rebel Reserve and I can attest that it tastes is almost identical to the Weller SR. At $5 more per bottle I don't find it a reasonable deal.
    James, I agree 100%. They seem VERY similar to me. The Rebel Reserve does have a more attractive bottle going for it, though.
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Connoisseur

To me RYR taste nothing like weller sr. In fact I got so little out of RYR that I was vatting it 2 part to 1 with OGD 86 to drink it. That was until I gave my bottle away. At 27.00 in Virginia not worth the money.
    Always do sober what you said you’d do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
    Ernest Hemingway
    2009 Fantasy Football Champion

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by independant View Post
    To me RYR taste nothing like weller sr. In fact I got so little out of RYR that I was vatting it 2 part to 1 with OGD 86 to drink it. That was until I gave my bottle away. At 27.00 in Virginia not worth the money.
    I agree with you on the part that RYR offers so little. For the last several years, that has been my problem with WSR. It, offers me so little, as well. They both do absolutely Nothing for me...
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post
    James, I agree 100%. They seem VERY similar to me. The Rebel Reserve does have a more attractive bottle going for it, though.

Yes, the RYR has the nice cork but I also like the screw top for the Weller SR since it tends to travel better (I don't worry then about leaks in my bagf).
    Whisk(e)y - a bargain at any price !!!

Enthusiast

I got a bottle as a gift. It's a perfectly fine bourbon. But then again, what bourbon isn't?

My advice: reserve judgment until you try it with a slice of pie. That does the trick for me!
    Jeremy
    www.awksome.com

“We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful what we pretend to be.”
    --Kurt Vonnegut