Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Taster

Rebel Yell Reserve

Saw a new bottle on the top shelf. Rebel Yell Reserve. Wheated bourbon Sorry can't remenber an age or proof statement. My past expierence with rebel yell was not a good one. Anyone tried this new stuff?

Connoisseur

Re: Rebel Yell Reserve

Haven't seen it and hadn't heard of it until now. I did find this though, it's 90.6 proof with no age statement and available in limited quantities according to the link. I'll look forward to seeing this one on shelves if it hits this area as I'm always up for a new wheater, maybe I'll go look for one later although I doubt I'll find it. Here's a better picture of the bottle.
    Last edited by gothbat; 01-24-2009 at 15:23.
    /\../\

"I've had eighteen straight whiskies, I think that's the record . . ." - Dylan Thomas

Connoisseur

Question Re: Rebel Yell Reserve

so it IS rebel (YELL) reserve? or just rebel...?
    HUP!

Enthusiast

A "robust 90.6 proof"??? It must be that extra 1.2 percent of alcohol that does the trick.
    "It hasn't cured my broken heart, but it sure helps a lot."
    -Ernest Tubb

Guru

Post Re: Rebel Yell Reserve

Quote Originally Posted by jinenjo View Post
    A "robust 90.6 proof"??? It must be that extra 1.2 percent of alcohol that does the trick.
    Well, the current standard Rebel Yell bottling is 80 proof. So this new one is 12.75% stronger. However, back in the day, the real Stitzel-Weller Rebel Yell was 90 proof.

Tim
    Self-Styled Whisky Connoisseur

Virtuoso

As part of UD's sell off in the '90s, Heaven Hill acquired the Fitzgerald family of the old SW brands and Buffalo Trace bought the Weller family of brands.

I was interested to see that Luxco is using the brand name that BT now owns in their advertising:

"using the original secret Weller family recipe originating over 150 years ago."

Especially since Luxco is (apparently) buying HH juice to fill their Rebel Yell.

Being mindful that BF sued Barton over Ridgewood Reserve sounding too much like Woodford Reserve, I wonder if there is some arrangement that allows Luxco to use the Weller name.

Roger
    Last edited by Rughi; 01-25-2009 at 13:50.

Disciple

I would think that everyone involved in the sale, back in 1999, recieved a waiver to use the name Weller in regards to the mashbill. It was developed under the Weller family name. Plus, that was on the label since it's inception...which could probably be Grandfathered to a degree.
    There were at least four brands from that distillery: Weller, Rebel Yell, Cabin Still and Old Fitz.

I believe that this new RY is 6yr product. It is also the reason the current RY has lost almost all of its color. They have dumbed down the basic for the same price, while using the old juice style for the newer high priced model. Well, at least we know Luxco is watching BT....that has been their M.O. for a time now, as well.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Calling the wheated bourbon recipe "the Weller family recipe" benefits Buffalo Trace by supporting that particular mythology, which is by no means established historical fact. Since the Wellers were wholesalers, not distillers, the wheated bourbon recipe and yeast most likely came from their distilling partners, the Stitzel family.

But that's a name no one out there is flogging.

Presumably, Luxco gets most or all of its bourbon from Heaven Hill. The Rebel Yell web site said so explicitly.

This is supposed to be on the shelves in Frankfort tomorrow.Think i'm going to swing by the local store and grab a bottle.

Has anyone tried this one yet?

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by leebo View Post
    Saw a new bottle on the top shelf. Rebel Yell Reserve. Wheated bourbon Sorry can't remenber an age or proof statement. My past expierence with rebel yell was not a good one. Anyone tried this new stuff?
    The old RY from the late 80's and early 90's made the best Bourbon&Ginger out there. Haven't had it since... BB