Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Novice

New to the forum

hey everyone. thought id introduce myself as i am new to the forums. My name is craig i am 26 and from indianapolis. i have been a big fan of whiskey for a long time although not an aficionado. last month at a company dinner i was fortunate enough to have a glass of pappy van winkle 20 year. its been nothing but bourbon since. I have always had makers mark in my cabinet although id pour it into cokes for myself and friends. ive been cutting it with water and really appreciating it lately. i also (based on my liking of pappy) bought a bottle of old van winkle 10 year 90 proof. im enjoying it as well. please feel free to make suggestions. im open to trying anything.

Craig

Connoisseur

Re: New to the forum

Welcome John, Pappy 20 is a pretty decadent start! All those Van Winkle Bottles are wonderful. The VW 15 is my all time favorite. When you get a chance add Indianapolis to your profile, it will make it easier for people to remember where you’re from and they can recommend bottles in your area or places to buy. Any you have some great folks there in Indy by the way so you’re lucky! But I digress, you've had a couple nice bottles and there are many more in your future! Weller 12 is another smooth pour that is easy to drink, a little more spice but a great pour is Elmer T Lee. Enjoy it all!

Todd

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by T47 View Post
    Welcome John, Pappy 20 is a pretty decadent start! All those Van Winkle Bottles are wonderful. The VW 15 is my all time favorite. When you get a chance add Indianapolis to your profile, it will make it easier for people to remember where you’re from and they can recommend bottles in your area or places to buy. Any you have some great folks there in Indy by the way so you’re lucky! But I digress, you've had a couple nice bottles and there are many more in your future! Weller 12 is another smooth pour that is easy to drink, a little more spice but a great pour is Elmer T Lee. Enjoy it all!

T,
    Funny I had both Weller 12 and ETL in my hands tonight at the liquor store. I just got the ETL for now and I am enjoying it very much.

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz View Post
    T,
    Funny I had both Weller 12 and ETL in my hands tonight at the liquor store. I just got the ETL for now and I am enjoying it very much.
    Buffalo Trace is becoming my bourbon temple. I've been sipping on ETL and ERSB this evening, while enjoying some new Criterion Collections.

Advanced Taster

Now go out and pick up some Buffalo Trace Antique Collection.

I recommend the George T Stagg and the Thomas H Handy.

Virtuoso

Welcome, Indy Brethern !!!!!

Nice intro ino bourbon with the Pappy 20. (might as well start at the top, eh??)

As for suggestions....... try them all !!!!!
    Cheers,

Scott

Reality is an illusion created by a lack of alcohol.

Guru

Welcome to the board Craig! I grew up in on the N side of Indianapolis, even though I live in the Detroit area now. The waters of the White River still run thru my veins though!

As for suggestions, one cool feature of this place is that in the user profiles there is a space for reccomendations, on the left side below the personal information. If you're curious about a specific whiskey, enter the name into the search box and see what ppl have said about it. If you can't find anything on it or nobody has discussed it for a while feel free to post and ask about it.

Again welcome!
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by birdman1099 View Post
    Nice intro to bourbon with the Pappy 20. (might as well start at the top, eh??)

As for suggestions....... try them all !!!!!

I agree, nice intro to bourbon. My start was with EW black, little more towards the bottom. I have heard a lot of votes for the 15 over the 20 for the VW bottles. I have not tried either so I cannot comment on personal recommendations. I do know if you enjoy the VW and MM, you seem to like the wheatier bourbons. From there, you should try any of the Weller bottles. I prefer the OWA 107 myself. The Centennial 10yr old is hard to find but highly recommended here. You shoud try some of the higher rye or another flavor profile. WT, FR, OF, should be a good start. But as Scott said, try all you can!
    Rye, The Spice Of Life.

Novice

thank you for the friendly welcome. I agree i was fortunate enough to start at the top. Like i said ive been drinking whiskey for years. i love wild turkey 101, ive drank my fair share of evan williams and early times in my day heh. never cared for scotch ive had chivas regal,jw black, j&b. i do enjoy jameson whisky. To the last post, im not sure if i have a wheat bias that is just what ive been drinking. what is a good rye bourbon to compare?

Craig

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by Johnthebaptist26 View Post
    thank you for the friendly welcome. I agree i was fortunate enough to start at the top. Like i said ive been drinking whiskey for years. i love wild turkey 101, ive drank my fair share of evan williams and early times in my day heh. never cared for scotch ive had chivas regal,jw black, j&b. i do enjoy jameson whisky. To the last post, im not sure if i have a wheat bias that is just what ive been drinking. what is a good rye bourbon to compare?

Craig
    For a high rye'd bourbon, try WT101, OF Sig, or FC. These have the highest rye that I have tried. Try them side by side with the wheatier ones to see the difference. For a straight rye whiskey, try Ritt, WT Rye, or a Sazrac. The higher rye bourbons are a bit on the firey side, not as smooth. The wheatiers are going to be a bit smoother going down. Personally I like the higher rye.

Edited to note: FR, OGD, BH, and Bulleit are also a higher rye'd bourbon.
    Last edited by sotnsipper; 02-22-2009 at 11:24.
    Rye, The Spice Of Life.