Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Taster

n00b from Chapel Hill

'ello everyone. I'm fairly new to the world of bourbon (been drinking Makers for years but just started really branching out and learning to experience the drink) and have been attempting to school myself but thought I could learn a lot from a forum like this. i try to limit my single purchases to $30 or less, though a few bucks here or there doesn't bother me. Any recommendations on brands, tasting, or other rudimentary & introductory lessons appreciated!

What I've tried and know fairly well thus far:

* Makers Mark
    * Knob Creek
    * Elvan Williams Single Barrel
    * Elmer T. Lee
    * Woodford Reserve

Cheers,
    -Scott.

Virtuoso

Re: n00b from Chapel Hill

Scott,

Looks like you have started off on a really good foot. I would suggest you try Wild Turkey 101 and Elijah Craig 12. Both are well loved here.

If you like Maker's, but want something a bit more complex (and cheaper), I suggest you try some of the Weller products... Weller Special Reserve will run you about $17, and the Weller 12 (my personal favorite) is about $25.

Of those you have had, which do you like best? Least?
    Hope is subversive, for it limits the grandiose pretensions of the present by calling into existence the possibility of something better.

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by kickert View Post
    Scott,

Looks like you have started off on a really good foot. I would suggest you try Wild Turkey 101 and Elijah Craig 12. Both are well loved here.

If you like Maker's, but want something a bit more complex (and cheaper), I suggest you try some of the Weller products... Weller Special Reserve will run you about $17, and the Weller 12 (my personal favorite) is about $25.
    Cheers, thanks! I will look for these on my next outing (in a day or so! hehe).

Of those you have had, which do you like best? Least?
    Well, I thought it was Elmer T. Lee...and then just a few days ago I got my first bottle of Woodford and man, I really love it. I'm a big fan of scotch and I can't be sure if it's the smoky/oakiness of it or what...but I immediately fell in love with it. I suppose least would now be Makers as it seems fairly simple and thin (light?) after going back to it.

Connoisseur

The NC ABC system is gonna limit your selection. Do you ever go "south of the border" into SC? The private stores there open up the selection quite a bit.
    Craig

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by cas View Post
    The NC ABC system is gonna limit your selection. Do you ever go "south of the border" into SC? The private stores there open up the selection quite a bit.
    Craig
    Nah, I've found just about everything I've looked up on the internet at the two stores I frequent. There were a few more obscure things I didn't think I'd see like Jefferson and Jefferson Reserve (am I getting those titles right?) which I did in fact see the other day.

Guru

Scott,

Welcome to SB.com. You've got a good start on your bourbon selections. If you like Makers, other wheated bourbons you should try are:

Weller Antique 107
    Old Rip Van Winkle 107
    Old Fitzgerald Bottled in Bond
    “Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.” - P.J. O’Rourke
    Greg's "bourbondork" blog

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by ElasticalGomez View Post

What I've tried and know fairly well thus far:

* Makers Mark
    * Knob Creek
    * Elvan Williams Single Barrel
    * Elmer T. Lee
    * Woodford Reserve
    Welcome to the site. NC is a beautiful state.

Can't say I am a big fan of your choices. The only one I would probably purchase would be the ETL. The other can be improved upon in my book. Here is how I would take it.

Makers...already someone talked about Weller. I would also say...Old Fitzgerald would be a nice option.
    KC....I don't buy Beam products for various reasons...so I say Wild Turkey rye. Once you have tasted WTr...you might be hooked.
    EWSB...I'm not all that excited about paying for a SB. I would try to track down some of their Bib's(any label except Dant). Also, Russells Reserve should be about the same price point...give one the WT RR's a shot. They are more sophisticated than the 101 proof.
    Woodford...give some Old Forester 100 a go. About 70-80% of the Woodford is....OF. Made by the same co. of course.

Also, I know its not the best, but HH makes two products in your market that will help develope your pallet a bit...Mellow Corn Bib and Virgin 7/101. Neither is expensive...and you probably won;t drink them on a daily basis...but give them a shot and tell me what you think. The V 7/101 also makes for a great vatting agent...when blending your own bourbon.

Good luck.

Jeff Mo.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by ggilbertva View Post
    Scott,

Welcome to SB.com. You've got a good start on your bourbon selections. If you like Makers, other wheated bourbons you should try are:

Weller Antique 107
    Old Rip Van Winkle 107
    Old Fitzgerald Bottled in Bond
    I throw in another vote for the Weller Antique 107, especially if you like the wheatiers. Enjoy and welcome. So much information around here, it is hard to stay away.
    Rye, The Spice Of Life.

Welcome to SB Scott, About the only thing I can add as recommendations would be, Eagle Rare Single Barrel 10/90, and Weller 12. I really like all the Weller and ER bottlings. I started out with about the same selection as you. You'll be surprised at how quickly your tastes will change, as will the amount of money in your wallet. Joe

PS. Not trying to pry, but the more information you put in your profile, the easier it is for people to get to know you a little better too.
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Taster

Wow! Thanks guys! Well, today I make an excursion for a weekend bottle so I'll be looking through this thread and grab one and start from there. I guess I'll use some rusty math and see which one most of you seem to agree on/suggest more often. Heh.

Also, about my profile...yeah. I meant to but I registered for the site a week ago and just yesterday got my account validated. As per usual on a Friday workday, I'll be spending most of my time dicking around on the interwebz, so I'll try to fill out my profile.