Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Novice

Low alcohol bourbon

uhhhh, I know this sounds crazy. I love bourbon. Im drinking Four Roses single Barrel right now. I used to own a liquor store and my personal "liquor cabinet" should really be called a bourbon cabinet. However, I love it too much and my Dr. says I need to cut back on the intake. Waaaay back. Is there ANYTHING out there I can add to a coke to give me that bourbon and coke flavor without the alcohol? Or at least a highly reduced rate? 20 proof? 40 proof? That's got to be better for me than the 80 - 124 proof that I am drinking now.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Enthusiast

Re: Low alcohol bourbon

Quote Originally Posted by thom71gt View Post
    uhhhh, I know this sounds crazy. I love bourbon. Im drinking Four Roses single Barrel right now. I used to own a liquor store and my personal "liquor cabinet" should really be called a bourbon cabinet. However, I love it too much and my Dr. says I need to cut back on the intake. Waaaay back.
    This doctor of yours is clearly a quack and should have his or her medical license reviewed.

I sort of wonder if you could water down your whiskey and then try to re-introduce flavor into it as Ralfy showed in his "How to cope with bad Whisky" episode: http://whiskyreviews.blogspot.com/20...ad-whisky.html

Is my wife your doctor? I seem to hear the same thing a lot at home.

Taster

What of you just mixed regular bourbon to Diet Cola, would that please your physician?

Just kidding. You're better off just mixing in more cola to your bourbon, there is no Diet Bourbon that I've ever seen. and you doctor will be pleased.
    Last edited by Medicfrost; 02-08-2011 at 19:29.

Advanced Taster

Maybe consider a lower-proof bourbon-based liqueur, like Firefly Sweet Tea or Prichard's Sweet Lucy?

Forgot to add: Wild Turkey American Honey and Buffalo Trace Cream Liqueur...
    Last edited by bourbon-n00b; 02-09-2011 at 06:03. Reason: thought of two more.

Enthusiast

If my doctor told me to cut back on my bourbon consumption, I would still drink my favorite bourbons but less of it. I would not dilute it or switch to low proof or flavored whiskey. I like bourbon and I want to live long enough to drink what is in my bunker. I only have to live to be about 150 years old.

My solution is I don't tell my doctor how much I drink so therefor I don't have to listen to it .
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider, is chaos for the fly.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by p_elliott View Post
    My solution is I don't tell my doctor how much I drink so therefor I don't have to listen to it .
    That's what I'm thinkin. Even if I tell him it's about an ounce a day (maybe less), I'm afraid he'll tell me to take it down a notch.

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

First off, ditch the sodas. Your doctor will be so impressed, he won't care that you're still drinking bourbon.

Secondly, bourbon and water is your friend. You can pick whatever proof you want (as long as what you want is equal or less than what you have in the bottle-kinda hard to go the other way)
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

Guru

Hey thom welcome aboard. Don't have a suggestion for your dilemma other than watering down the whisky or increasing the amount of mixer.