Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Welcome, And Helpful Hints For New Members

Here are some helpful hints for newbies to SB.Com.
    1. Take a look at the Bourbon Recommendations, New User Guidelines, and Frequently Used Abbreviations posts at the top of the New To Straightbourbon page. I must admit, I didn't look that closely at these when I first became a member. Thankfully the members here are patient, and they "gently" pointed me in the right direction.
    2. Take some time and browse some of the different posts/threads. This may help you get a better understanding of this site and some of its members.
    3. Try and fill out your profile with as much information as possible. This may help members gain a better understanding of you.
    4. Do a little search in the history of some of the posts/threads. There's a ton of information to be found. We have members from all walks of life, and some from within the bourbon industry itself. "It don't git no better than that."
    5. Feel free to ask questions. (after looking at #'s 1, 2, & 4 ) Chances are about 99.9 % that someone will have an answer. If not, we have some very resourceful members that will try there darndest to find an answer for you.
    6. Lastly, And most important of all, have some fun! Don't take yourself too seriously, and we'll try not to take ourselves too seriously either.

So, there it is. Take this as its meant, a helpful welcome to SB.Com. We're all here sharing a common bond. BOURBON! Welcome to SB and let the good times pour. It's all good! Joe
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Advanced Taster

Re: Welcome, And Helpful Hints For New Members

Good tips Joe. I think I read 1000 posts before I realized there was a master list of abbreviations at the top of the page.

Guru

Great tips Joe! But my grandmother's cousin's ex-step-brother's great aunt just died and left the me this dusty bottle of bourbon...
    Last edited by Josh; 01-30-2009 at 07:34.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz View Post
    Good tips Joe. I think I read 1000 posts before I realized there was a master list of abbreviations at the top of the page.
    I still refer it often

Enthusiast

Good tips. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by fishnbowljoe View Post
    1. Take a look at the Bourbon Recommendations, New User Guidelines, and Frequently Used Abbreviations posts at the top of the New To Straightbourbon page. I must admit, I didn't look that closely at these when I first became a member. Thankfully the members here are patient, and they "gently" pointed me in the right direction.
    2. Take some time and browse some of the different posts/threads. This may help you get a better understanding of this site and some of its members.
    3. Try and fill out your profile with as much information as possible. This may help members gain a better understanding of you.
    4. Do a little search in the history of some of the posts/threads. There's a ton of information to be found. We have members from all walks of life, and some from within the bourbon industry itself. "It don't git no better than that."
    5. Feel free to ask questions. (after looking at #'s 1, 2, & 4 ) Chances are about 99.9 % that someone will have an answer. If not, we have some very resourceful members that will try there darndest to find an answer for you.
    6. Lastly, And most important of all, have some fun! Don't take yourself too seriously, and we'll try not to take ourselves too seriously either.

So, there it is. Take this as its meant, a helpful welcome to SB.Com. We're all here sharing a common bond. BOURBON! Welcome to SB and let the good times pour. It's all good! Joe
    Seems we've had an influx of new members, so I thought I'd bump this back to the top. Joe

Guru

So Joe, do you think you could help give me a couple ideas on what I might want to try as an inexperienced bourbon drinker that has trouble understanding all the fancy abbreviations and styles of whisky? I am looking for something that goes good with diet tab and will not give me any of that funny alcohol shutter when i drink it. I am a frequent drinker of wine coolers and would prefer something that has no resemblance of an alcoholic beverage. Thank you for any help you can provide

… good list man… now if you can only get the newbies to use the search function for find the thread for newbies under the current heading for newbies along with all of the other first time visitor information that has been created… you also may create an old timers thread that reminds all the old timers that they were once newbies too so that they will not beat the new newbies over the head with all of their information that they learned here…

See… I can have it both ways hahahah

Seems like there's another large group of new members coming in lately, so we'll bump this up again. Thanks for the reminder Josh. Joe

The Voshole

I have to agree about using the search function, it's a great tool and it's amazing what information you can find. A few weeks ago I was going to Phoenix and wanted to see about liquor store recommendations. Did a quick search and found a thread from last year that gave me everything I wanted to know. Got the info I wanted immediately and didn't have to bother the group for something that had already been addressed.
    "Bottom line: sometimes things work out this way in life. It doesn't matter how well you've planned; you're just f**ked, and that's that" - The Boss

Just giving this a bump up again since it seems as if we have another large group of new members coming aboard. Cheers! Joe