Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Taster

Re: Welcome, And Helpful Hints For New Members

Maybe we could just have this stickied at the top of the page? I feel like it is a good place to start.

I'll see what I can do. Thanks Sean.
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Quote Originally Posted by fishnbowljoe View Post
    Here are some helpful hints for newbies to SB.Com.
    1. Take a look at the Bourbon Recommendations, New User Guidelines, and Frequently Used Abbreviations posts at the top of the New To Straightbourbon page. I must admit, I didn't look that closely at these when I first became a member. Thankfully the members here are patient, and they "gently" pointed me in the right direction.
    2. Take some time and browse some of the different posts/threads. This may help you get a better understanding of this site and some of its members.
    3. Try and fill out your profile with as much information as possible. This may help members gain a better understanding of you.
    4. Do a little search in the history of some of the posts/threads. There's a ton of information to be found. We have members from all walks of life, and some from within the bourbon industry itself. "It don't git no better than that."
    5. Feel free to ask questions. (after looking at #'s 1, 2, & 4 ) Chances are about 99.9 % that someone will have an answer. If not, we have some very resourceful members that will try there darndest to find an answer for you.
    6. Lastly, And most important of all, have some fun! Don't take yourself too seriously, and we'll try not to take ourselves too seriously either.

So, there it is. Take this as its meant, a helpful welcome to SB.Com. We're all here sharing a common bond. BOURBON! Welcome to SB and let the good times pour. It's all good! Joe
    Bumping back to the top again. Joe
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Disciple

Just out of my own curiosity, do we know what is driving the recent surges in new members? Is the industry as a whole experiencing growth? I thought I had read reports to the contrary recently.

Enthusiast

Bourbon is now the "in drink" in a lot of places. I would guess that's where the swurge of new members is coming from
    "So long as the presence of death lurks with anyone who goes through the simple act of swallowing, I will make mine whiskey"

Guru

Empirically, vodka is the "in drink". Most bars have more vodka on them than any other drink. In most liquor stores the vodka is the easiest for the clerk to get. This tells me something. Bourbon may be growing in fashion and it certainly is the drink that brings out nationalist pride, but it has a long way to go to be a top dog in the liquor business.

Enthusiast

I was referring to the multiple articles I've seen in different women's magazines and such... as well as the influx of young kids wanting to drink bourbon instead of vodka. What's "trendy and cool" is not necessarily what is the selling the most.

Everyone would certainly agree that there are expensive and fashionable clothing brands, but these are far from the highest selling. I don't think it will ever be the king of the liquor industry in terms of sales volume.
    "So long as the presence of death lurks with anyone who goes through the simple act of swallowing, I will make mine whiskey"

Guru

It's funny. It goes in waves for some reason. There were a bunch who joined around the time I did, and a few months ago there was another big wave. I think it has to do with sunspots or the half life of Francium.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Guru

Trendy, I'll buy that. When visiting my daughter in LA she suggested a "trendy whiskey bar" not far from where she lives. Never did make it there. She lives in the Los Feliz section of LA. Many trend 20 somethings there.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Special Reserve View Post
    Empirically, vodka is the "in drink". Most bars have more vodka on them than any other drink. In most liquor stores the vodka is the easiest for the clerk to get. This tells me something. Bourbon may be growing in fashion and it certainly is the drink that brings out nationalist pride, but it has a long way to go to be a top dog in the liquor business.
    It'll never attain that lofty position. And why? Because it has something vodka doesn't: flavor. Vodka's popularity is precisely attributable to one key point: it is neutral in taste, making it the easiest to drink, most approachable spirit. That and the huge marketing dollars that are behind it...which are possible only because of the fact that that it's sales can't be touched by/compared to other distillates.

Vodka is to spirits as McDonald's is to food. Volumetrically, McDonald's sells a helluva lot more than, say, Charlie Trotter's restaurant. While this is true, you'd never reach the conclusion that a better meal will be had at the golden arches. Bourbon is like Charlie Trotter's...a much better consumptive experience, special and in an entirely different league than vodka.
    Mat Garretson
    HIGH WEST DISTILLERY