Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Advanced Taster

Is an "acquired taste" really worth it?

More and more I hear people say that particular brands have an acquired taste. My thinking on this is, if you try it and don't like it, is is really worth trying to make yourself like it? Could your money be better spent on something you really like? I particularly hear this a lot of certain scotches. Me personally, if i try it and don't like it, I leave it alone. I have learned this from past experiences on trying to get the acquired taste people seem to like. How about you? Do you keep trying any bourbons to see if you can acquire the taste others describe around here?
    Rye, The Spice Of Life.

Trippah and Admin

Re: Is an "acquired taste" really worth it?

I don't reject any bourbon after one sampling. There are too many variables involved to not give most pours another try if the first time around the block isn't satisfing.

With that in mind...

I think that the variety of styles of malt whiskeys make that different ballgame entirely. I find the bandaid/doctors office qualities of the really peaty malts to be irrevocably offensive and no amount of do-overs will change that.

If there's a specific quality like that in a bourbon or a style of bourbon, I've not encountered it (yet).
    My name is Joel Goodson. I deal in human fulfillment.
    I grossed over eight thousand dollars in one night. Time of your life, huh kid?

Guru

I will give something several tries before I write it off if I don't like it the first few times.
    I never liked the term "acquired taste" because it kinda sounds like you are forcing yourself to like it.
    ovh

Disciple

If you like to build a library of labels to have available at your disposal...then it's ok not to like something, right away. You can keep it around and do comparison, side by sides, or just keep it there incase a friend wants to sample it.
    Also, if you drink whisky in more than one way(straight)...you can mix it with soda....bitters....other bourbons...and so on.
    I have heard that some pour unwanted bourbon down the drain on occasion. I believe that is going a little too far...I say send it to me and I'll stick it in a barrel for vatting. We can all have a pour when it comes back to life.

Jeff Mo.

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

The more whiskies you try, the more likely you are to like them all. So the more whiskies you try the more you should go back and retry those you didn't care much for in the past.

Lets say you like whiskey 1 and it has flavors A B and C

The you try whiskey 2 and it has flavors A B and D and you don't like flavor D much

Then you try whiskey 3 with flavors A E and D and you like E a lot, so much you barely notice D is in there.

If you were to go back now to whiskey 2 you may not find flavor D nearly as offensive as you did before, you may even find you like it now due to it's association with flavor E...
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by callmeox View Post
    I don't reject any bourbon after one sampling. There are too many variables involved to not give most pours another try if the first time around the block isn't satisfing.
    Very good advise.
    Hope is subversive, for it limits the grandiose pretensions of the present by calling into existence the possibility of something better.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by callmeox View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kickert View Post
    Very good advise.
    As a newbie, I'm discovering this as well.

Connoisseur

Bourbon for me was an acquired taste...I acquired it out of the blue! I've told the story before but I had tried some Canadian Whiskey about 12 years or so prior to my Bourbon discovery and thought it tasted like turpentine. I was a beer drinker and fruity mixed drink guy for the next 12 years when I tried a drink of Makers because it was what my father in law had on hand. From the first sip I enjoyed it. I think I was around 42 maybe? Then I discovered that I also enjoyed Canadian, Irish Whiskey, some aged Tequila, aged Rum, Red Wine and some Scotch as well.
    I will say this; I tried a "peaty" Scotch and from the nose all the way through it was NOT for me. Who knows, maybe something will change in my taste buds in the next 12 years and I will try a "peaty" Scotch and find that my tastes have changed once again.
    I still do not enjoy the flavor of Gin or Vodka, and am making no effort in that direction. I don't think I am willing to work through something that I really find distasteful. There are bottles I enjoy more or less than others and I continue to drink them all. I find the whole "taste" thing interesting, being that mine changed at some point without me being aware.
    I guess I have just learned I will never say never when it comes to drink.

Todd

Enthusiast

The you try whiskey 2 and it has flavors A B and D and you don't like flavor D much

Then you try whiskey 3 with flavors A E and D and you like E a lot, so much you barely notice D is in there.

If you were to go back now to whiskey 2 you may not find flavor D nearly as offensive as you did before, you may even find you like it now due to it's association with flavor E...

That looks like a story problem - way too much math!! - I need a drink
    TJ

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by barturtle View Post
    The more whiskies you try, the more likely you are to like them all. So the more whiskies you try the more you should go back and retry those you didn't care much for in the past.

I agree. Imagine that.

I had planned on responding to this thread in much the same way. I think any acquired taste follows much the same pattern. What you like about it keeps you coming back and what you don't like about it you find more tolerable over time until that to becomes part of what attracts you to that food or beverage.