Quote Originally Posted by TNbourbon View Post
Well, I think some of you misinterpreted my post as being about 'chugging' high-proof liquor -- and I'm used to that. It was not, but Chuck got it -- and I'm used to that, too.
My point was, primarily, that whisk(e)y, including bourbon, isn't a natural drink for humans, whatever the proof. Virtually nobody 'likes' one's first taste of un-diluted bourbon!
But, one comes to appreciate it through practice. Practice also cultivates a sense of properties -- you come to understand what whisk(e)y/bourbon is about, and what to expect and enjoy about particular versions of it.
Thus, tasting and appreciating our native spirit is definitely an "acquired taste". You don't really 'like' it, at first, but you come to appreciate its qualities with practice and experience. The same holds true for particular brands/labels.
How is that different, really, than opera or the symphony? (Other than hangover, I mean.)
I got what you were trying to say. I was originally meaning more like if there is one particular bottle or brand that just does not set right with you or that everyone tells you that it is an acquired taste. I do know bourbon as a whole was a tad to the strong side when I first tried it. I would believe all alcohol would fit into the acquired taste category. I never really thought about that while posting though. Thanks for the input.